• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/12 Storm Discussion Thread

BenedictGomez

Well it went from rain, to mostly rain, to rain/snow mix, to maybe we'll get lucky have almost all snow, so I'd say the trend is positive.

At least for NNE that is, looks like the Poconos are going to take a hit, and I guess the jury is out on the Catskills.

hammer

Well it went from rain, to mostly rain, to rain/snow mix, to maybe we'll get lucky have almost all snow, so I'd say the trend is positive.

At least for NNE that is, looks like the Poconos are going to take a hit, and I guess the jury is out on the Catskills.
This.

I was hearing about a complete NCP event early this morning and now we are looking at a mix north of Boston. Will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I will have to drive my backup vehicle the rest of this week (primary will be in the body shop) and the backup vehicle has tires with minimal tread life left...so now would be the time to get frozen precip.

HowieT2

how much qpf are we talking about?
not to be greedy, but if this thing shifts too far SE, those of us concerned about NNE, might be left yearning.

mlctvt

NOAA is now calling for all snow for Southern Vt, Mount Snow area from Weds through Friday.
Not sure on amounts yet.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Matty is getting psyched
Tuesday cool front provides just enuf cold air 2 make Thu AM storm interesting. Getting excited for all Northern NewEng"
Timmy Kelly sez
"Another clipper system will race across Vermont Monday night with a few more inches of snow from Mount Mansfield to Jay Peak, the snowiest places in New England this winter."
The mountains of Vermont have a good chance for a net gain of snow Wednesday/Thursday but much of the region likely sees more rain than snow, at least until Friday.
The story does not end there. A Major chill will be trying to advance into New England by Monday January 16th, but we have room for another storm before that happens"

A sight for sore eyes:
635970.JPG

SNE NWS HAZARDOUS WEATHER STATEMENT

"THERE IS A LOW TO MODERATE PROBABILITY THAT A NOREASTER MAY BRING
SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW TO PORTIONS OF INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEW
ENGLAND LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY."

...NNE:
THURSDAY SYSTEM HAS BEGUN TO TREND SLIGHTLY COLDER.

crap-u-weather:
400x266_01091710_nerntfri.jpg

400x266_01091726_midjanoutlook.jpg

ARCTIC SLIDE PLAN - CONFIDENTIAL
Preparation phase incomplete. Strong winds will require fixed grip strategy. Staging begins on Tuesday. Cargo load Wednesday. Thursday T-day. Trajectory: Classified. :smash:

Last edited:

HowieT2

Matt Noyes:
Early to make certain calls on Thu storm, esp given northwest trend of projected storm tracks this year, but 6-12" Northern NewEng possible

I'm in good company then.

note-not bad timing either. should be ok to drive up friday night.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
FIS Lionel Hutz coming onboard:

So what snowfalls are we looking at? Overall- when all is said and done I think it’s VERY possible somewhere along the Green Spine and ADK will be over a foot with the potential to get into the 18 inch range if that second low tracks a little south right over the spine. Otherwise I think this is a solid 5-10/6-12 type event
across much of the North Country (at elevation). Further south I think southern VT could fall in that 4-8 range. Interestingly a low level moist easterly flow at the outset may spike snowfall rates in the Whites putting MTW in that 6-12 range.