• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

more russians?

gladerider

i went to hunter yesterday and i heard a lot of russian being spoken on the lift, in the lodge and on trails. didn't think too much at the time, but around christmas the same thing happened at pico. i hear all kinds of languages being spoken all the time, but this time i thought was noticeable. anyone have similar experience? on the way home, i thought may be because the next olympics is in sochi, russia more russian americans are hitting the slopes? just curious.....

BenedictGomez

^ There are TONS of Russians and Ukrainians in NYC, specifically the Brighton Beach and Coney Island area.

millerm277

NYC has a HUGE Russian population, and Boston's isn't insignificant either. If you expand it to people speaking languages that sound pretty much the same to the average American's ear (like most of the other Slavic languages) it's even larger.

They've always been skiers. As a guess, if there is a noticeable change, it would probably just be that someone is probably running a tour bus from a heavily Russian area of NYC that showed up where you were skiing that day.

gladerider

NYC has a HUGE Russian population, and Boston's isn't insignificant either. If you expand it to people speaking languages that sound pretty much the same to the average American's ear (like most of the other Slavic languages) it's even larger.

They've always been skiers. As a guess, if there is a noticeable change, it would probably just be that someone is probably running a tour bus from a heavily Russian area of NYC that showed up where you were skiing that day.

Ah, that makes sense. thanx.

farlep99

Were they wearing Bogner one-pieces? That's how you know they're Russian.

4aprice

Plenty of Russians up in the Pocono's. They are a huge portion of the seasonal (mostly summer) rentals in the community where my wife's family has a house but they are around in the winter too. We are friends with a Russian couple who state (with a great Russian accent) that they love to find a place and take it over. Only problem I've ever had with them is getting tennis court time (they love tennis). Lots of Koreans there too. We call it the Asian Invasion.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snowmonster

I think a lot of Russian immigrants settled in Brookline (which is a town adjacent to Boston) and the adjoining Brighton neighborhood. Most are Russian Jews who left the former Soviet Union. There are a number of Russian groceries in Brookline/Brighton where the signs are all in Cyrillic. Also, with the new money in Russia and the former Soviet republics, I've seen a definite increase in students from those countries. We have a small community of Russian speakers at my school -- which means that I got a nice bottle of good vodka during the holidays.

abc

You'll see a disproportional present of Russians on the mountain during Christmas because many of the Russian immigrants are Jews. Christmas is not a big holiday in the Jewish calender. So it's just another day off. Skiing is just perfect.

I've been skiing on Christmas eve/day the last 2 years. Lots of Asian faces and yes, a lot of Russians.

SkiFanE

I think a lot of Russian immigrants settled in Brookline (which is a town adjacent to Boston) and the adjoining Brighton neighborhood. Most are Russian Jews who left the former Soviet Union. There are a number of Russian groceries in Brookline/Brighton where the signs are all in Cyrillic. Also, with the new money in Russia and the former Soviet republics, I've seen a definite increase in students from those countries. We have a small community of Russian speakers at my school -- which means that I got a nice bottle of good vodka during the holidays.

I work in IT west out Rt 9, tons of Russians in my office. One I know goes to SR every year with lots of friends - the week before Xmas and they leave the day after. She said it's very cheap and deserted.

When I worked about 15mi north, IT was filled with Indians, nary a Russian around. It's a big Indian hotbed...funny how that happens. I do enjoy the Russian Market on Rt 9 in Newton - a deli of just salami lol..love it.

catskills

I love a good White Russian.

Here is one now

images