• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sarah Burke seriously injured

ALLSKIING

Staff member

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Good point in regards to "team coverage". I know when I was in Middle School and High School, when being part of an athletic team you were covered under "Catostrophic" medical through the Maine School System or the School itself. If I recall it was near 250g's if injured while playing.
I can't recall what my health plan pays for but it definitely has a catastrophic clause. Might be 80/20 or something, I can't remember. But if that fund is legit then I can't imagine she was fully covered which is shocking considering she has a family. No life insurance? When S and I bought a house together, I decided it was the right thing to do to take out a life insurance policy on myself so she didn't get stuck with a bill she couldn't pay without me. Seems very weird one of the best and most well known riders in her class wouldn't be fully covered and insured, med and life. I'd really like to know if that fund is legit and what the insurance situation is. As bad as I feel, its kinda weird to ask people to bail out someone that had to be making enough to insure themselves properly...

Gnarcissaro

As much as it sucks she died, and what a blow it is to all the ski/snowboard community, I have a hard time believing she wasn't covered in some way. I would urge you to research this and think before you donate. Find the right venue to do so, don't be a sucker to some asshole with a website.

Last edited:

Smasandian

I can't recall what my health plan pays for but it definitely has a catastrophic clause. Might be 80/20 or something, I can't remember. But if that fund is legit then I can't imagine she was fully covered which is shocking considering she has a family. No life insurance? When S and I bought a house together, I decided it was the right thing to do to take out a life insurance policy on myself so she didn't get stuck with a bill she couldn't pay without me. Seems very weird one of the best and most well known riders in her class wouldn't be fully covered and insured, med and life. I'd really like to know if that fund is legit and what the insurance situation is. As bad as I feel, its kinda weird to ask people to bail out someone that had to be making enough to insure themselves properly...

It might the case that a Insurance company won't insure her because of what she did for a living.

I know when I got life insurance, they specifically asked me if a heli-skied, or skied backcountry. I wouldn't be surprised that she couldn't get it.

But I do agree, I can not believe Monster Energy would not have some sort of insurance for their athletes.

But in reality, if somebody wants to donate, they it's their right too.

andyaxa

First of all, it is always tragic when a young life is taken, whether it is a result of them willfully participating in an an incredibly dangerous sport or shooting crytal meth or succumbing to some insidious disease such as cancer. I hope family and friends find comfort at some point. These are the dark days for them.

Here is the latest update from the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/01/20/bc-sarah-burke-medical-fees.html

Looks like they covered all medical expenses and are now setting up a charitable fund. What I found incredible, disingenuous and a little sickening was this was set up 24 hrs after her death. These insurance issues take weeks if not years to sort out. And they come out asking for $550K? My money goes on the agent being the one driving the cart here. I deal with agents quite a bit and they are scumbags for the most part. Sorry for the sweeping generalization but it has been my experience. And though she may not have been able to secure a standard health or life insurance policy, there is always someone who will insure things like this (Lloyds of London, etc) Expensive, yes...but my guess is it would be no more than the % of my income I spend on health and life insurance.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
andyaxa;683531Here is the latest update from the CBC: [url said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/01/20/bc-sarah-burke-medical-fees.html[/url]
A quote from that article:

While it remains unclear if Burke was properly insured, the website started by Spencer had raised more than $194,000 by Friday afternoon. The fundraiser's beneficiary is listed as Burke's husband, Rory Bushfield.

"Further contributions will be used to establish a foundation to honour Sarah's legacy and promote the ideals she valued and embodied," said the statement.
This is just sick and disgusting. It is still unclear if Burke was insured but they raised almost $194,000 to date? Uhhhh... say what? And further contributions, that were supposedly going to Burke's supposedly uninsured family is now going to a foundation? That is pretty ridiculous. Sorry, who ever is handling Burke's affairs really screwed up on this one. I hope this gets cleared up quickly because it would be a shame to have a insult added to injury here...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
For what its worth they have removed the 550,000 goal on the website and updated it saying they have raised enough money to pay the hospital and the rest is going toward the funeral and a foundation. 212,671 as of now but growing almost 1,000 and hour.

andyaxa

For what its worth they have removed the 550,000 goal on the website and updated it saying they have raised enough money to pay the hospital and the rest is going toward the funeral and a foundation. 212,671 as of now but growing almost 1,000 and hour.
Well that's good, but why would they come out asking for $550K? Where did that number come from? It's not even clear if they had to pay any amount at all. Again, I smell the stench of the agent driving the bus here. I know exactly what he was thinking...grab the money now, when it's still fresh and emotions are raw. The family is grieving and probably said yes to whatever he suggested....if they even had a say.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Ummm 217,021 from 212,671 in 30 min :blink:

UVSHTSTRM

It might the case that a Insurance company won't insure her because of what she did for a living.

I know when I got life insurance, they specifically asked me if a heli-skied, or skied backcountry. I wouldn't be surprised that she couldn't get it.

But I do agree, I can not believe Monster Energy would not have some sort of insurance for their athletes.

But in reality, if somebody wants to donate, they it's their right too.

An insurance company would insure a bag full of shit if they can make a buck! Just have enough people and high premiums/deductables. And yes I agree, I would think Monster would almost have to have some type of insurance for it's athletes. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if a company like monster would also have athletes sign a waiver prior to handing over their first check to one of their athletes. Either way, just a sad accident all the way around.

Last edited:

Smasandian

An insurance company would insure a bag full of shit if they can make a buck! Just have enough people and high premiums/deductables. And yes I agree, I would think Monster would almost have to have some type of insurance for it's athletes. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if a company like monster would also have athletes sign a waiver prior to handing over their first check to one of their athletes. Either way, just a sad accident all the way around.

It is sad. It's a great thing that she donated her organs to save other people. More people should be doing that.

bdfreetuna

Still so surreal to think about Sarah Burke being dead right now...

Whoever gets her donated organs I hope takes care of their bodies, they're lucky to get donated organs from such a healthy young woman!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
423282_10150516342668348_22685398347_8736427_971015456_n.jpg