• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cheap Western Ski Vacation

gmcunni

i have 3 $400 vouchers from Frontier as a result of a flight change last winter. They expire in two weeks so if i want to use them i need to book now but can fly later.

Free flights are great but i'm trying to keep the whole vacation cheap or i just can't swing it. we will probably go for just a long weekend as that's all i can swing for pulling the kids out of school and it keeps the cost down.

as far as a destination city i'm looking for some suggestions on where to go that has cheap lodging but easy access to skiing.

SLC is the only place that comes to mind. we can stay in SLC at fleebag (ish) motels and take the bus to LCC. Are there any other locations with similar amenities and public transportation options?

LonghornSkier

You could fly to Spokane, WA from Laguardia on frontier for $1350 ($150) on one random Thurs-Mon. in March. From here, you could ski Schweitzer in Idaho... I am unsure of how expensive/inexpensive Schweitzer is but I know they have had decent snow...

vdk03

Summit county here in CO might be a decent option for you. There is excellent public transportation that can take you to a number of different resorts. You can even get reasonable shuttles to and from the airport in Denver. I imagine that there are some cheaper places to stay in Frisco or Dillon and it'll be about a 20 min ride to the resorts.

snoseek

Colorado mtn express is expensive. It's cheaper to do a search for a cheap car rental. Try an expedia search for summit county. Also georgetown has a super 8 that's cheap. SLC is easily the most convenient, no car needed at all.

Also you could fly into ABQ and scoot up to Taos. There are cheap places to stay not too far from the mtn.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I've done a lot of research on this, trying to put together my own cheap ski trip.

If you already have the flights covered, SLC would probably be your best best. You'd get the most options in the closest distance.

Summit County is another good choice, just a little bit more distance between the resorts.

abc

Stop searching. SLC is it!

I've done this (research) too many times too count. The balance is always between Summit county and SLC.

Flights to Denver is usually cheaper than SLC but the "on the ground" cost is lower for SLC. Since you already got the flight covered, SLC will come out better.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Stop searching. SLC is it!

I've done this (research) too many times too count. The balance is always between Summit county and SLC.

Flights to Denver is usually cheaper than SLC but the "on the ground" cost is lower for SLC. Since you already got the flight covered, SLC will come out better.

Agreed. The only caveat, is if for some reason you need to take the trip late in the season (April). Then, it might make sense to go to CO.

gmcunni

this was the conclusion last night before posting here for opinions. i have a slight bias against CO as every time we go we get altitude sickness and lose 1/2 day skiing. on a short trip that just won't do.

frontier flights to SLC look like $450 so i'll have to suck up the $50 each but i think it would still be cheaper if we can find a motel on the bus route and avoid a car rental.

snoseek

Lots of cheap rooms down on 7200 (fort union) that are right on the bus route. Buy your tix at canyon sports and take the rail downtown to eat dinner. SLC is such a quick, cheap little getaway.

Making the drive over in a couple weeks, forecast is looking up..

gmcunni

Agreed. The only caveat, is if for some reason you need to take the trip late in the season (April). Then, it might make sense to go to CO.

timing will be interesting too.. i am actually having a very hard time finding a weekend to do this. between kid's planned events and other commitments it is hard to nail this down.

playoutside

Like others have said, SLC is the answer. I've done this for long weekends in the past from Boston several times. It's much cheaper than Summit County or Tahoe.

SLC is really possible to do without a car, PC can be inexpensive, SLC def has cheap. Lift ticket deals are easier to find usually
Summit County can be done without a car, but you get robbed getting there from transport companies
Lift tickets in CO tend to be more expensive than Utah too...unless you have an Epic pass
Tahoe requires a car unless you stay at just one resort...then you will pay higher lodging.

If you have the airfare...find a way to fit this into your schedule!!

ScottySkis

I stayed in super 6 motel with kitchen 10 days it cost four hundred dollars in slc area of midvale i think, spent fifty percent less then when i stayed at super8 at steamboat co, and it snowed every day in Utah, not so in Co. Go to slc

gmcunni

checked a bunch of motels outside SLC.. $300 for 3 nights looks very doable. for fun i checked the price for same @ goldminer's daughter, it was $1300 - $1500