• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky, MT 1/21-1/22

skicone

My ski club will be in Big Sky the first week of March. We will ski at Moonlight Basin, Sunday,March 4th, then the rest of our time will be at Big Sky. I have a question about the wind. On what part of the mountain do you find the best snow if it is windy? I realize that it is dependent on which direction it comes from, but in general what is the best game plan.? And do you have trouble with wind-closures of lifts? I just read about the 26 Tram Laps made possible by the wind-closure of the Triple. Is this common?

vdk03

My ski club will be in Big Sky the first week of March. We will ski at Moonlight Basin, Sunday,March 4th, then the rest of our time will be at Big Sky. I have a question about the wind. On what part of the mountain do you find the best snow if it is windy? I realize that it is dependent on which direction it comes from, but in general what is the best game plan.? And do you have trouble with wind-closures of lifts? I just read about the 26 Tram Laps made possible by the wind-closure of the Triple. Is this common?

We were just up there for a weekend so others may be able to expand on this. If it is windy the trees are always a good place to go. We found some really nice snow in the woods underneath the challenger lift (sort of to the skiers right). I would imagine that The Bowl (underneath the Lone Peak Triple) would probably collect snow as well since it is pretty protected. The Tram will probably close if it gets real windy. It wasn't that bad when we were there, but we did find that it was definitely more windblown over by the Dakota and Shedhorn lifts compared to the other side of the mountain. Your going to have a blast regardless though, it really is Big Mountain skiing, we didn't get to ride Moonlight but it looked great. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Tooth

Has anyone hit Big Sky in April before it closes? Curious about conditions and type of snow. Thanks for the help.

steamboat1

Has anyone hit Big Sky in April before it closes? Curious about conditions and type of snow. Thanks for the help.

I did a few years back. Mid winter conditions & we even had a decent dump while there. Can't remember the exact dates but they were closing a few days after we left.

It's a great place.