• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drinking while skiing

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
One of the things I noticed a lot out in the alps is that they pretty much have mid-mountain bars all over the place where you can ski right up to it, grab a schnapps, and then keep going. I know that wouldn't go here at all. I guess it's been a while since I've been to a mountain where they had a bar at the top but I thought it was nice that they served beer (not sure if it was a full bar) on top of Cannon in the tram house.

Obvious safety issues under consideration; do you ever have a drink or two and then continue to ski?

I wonder if there are any statistics out there with regard to drinking / skiing and any incident rates :beer::beer:

PS I know some of you guys sport "other" habits on the slopes. I really enjoyed swinging in for a Schnapps though when I was skiing around in Italy. Fun stuff, warm the gullet!

drjeff

I will fully admit to living up to the beer loving personna I present online :beer: (and a few AZ regulars can attest to this ;)

HOWEVER, when its beer time for me, the ski boots come off and i'm done for the day. That's just how I feel. It just adds another element of risk into a sport that can already have enough risk to begin with. I will say that this current position of mine changed once I had kids. But even pre-kids, if I was going to have a beer while I was still planning on skiing later, it was just 1 light beer.

Geoff

I always put blackberry brandy in my leather wineskin underneath my Starter Jacket.

leather-wineskin-thumb8375618.jpg

xwhaler

I enjoy a beer or two with lunch and then I will get back out there. Usually though once I unbuckle my boots and get comfortable for lunch I usually only last 3-5 more runs afterwards anyways. Course on powder days I try and ski bell to bell if I can.
I personally don't see a problem with it if you understand your tolerance level. Certainly slamming down 6 beers and then getting back out there is not cool. But a nice local brew on draft goes hand in hand with the sport in my opinion.

HD333

I will fully admit to living up to the beer loving personna I present online :beer: (and a few AZ regulars can attest to this ;)

HOWEVER, when its beer time for me, the ski boots come off and i'm done for the day. That's just how I feel. It just adds another element of risk into a sport that can already have enough risk to begin with. I will say that this current position of mine changed once I had kids. But even pre-kids, if I was going to have a beer while I was still planning on skiing later, it was just 1 light beer.

I am with you on this. Gunstock has beer at the top, on the very rare occasion that I have one up there ,even though one beer doesn't have much of an impact on me if any, I feel funny about sliding down the hill.

Beer in hand = Boots off for me.

AngryHugo

Website
www.facebook.com
I typically only have a couple beers when I'm done. We have a good group of guys at our local mountain, and we have a nice hang-out BS & beer session before we leave. However, on closing day, we pretty much play a game of GNAR.

Smellytele

Cannon has a full bar at the top. I believe I have had beers mid mountain at Sugarbush, Sunday River, Waterville and many others. Jez maybe I drink too much?

Edd

2-3 beers at lunch loosens me up nicely. That would be a hard habit to break.

snoseek

I don't driink any more than maybe a beer for lunch when skiing in the west. Usually I don't drink at all on ski days out here. In the east I drink a couple for lunch often as It just seems to work, skiing more groomers, ect.....

If there is any reason to ski open/close (powder), I will not drink at all as i find after the initial carb energy burst it crashes me.

I have no issues with people that drink/party and ski-just don't hit me or act like a total drunk ass and it's cool. Ski areas that sell booze ontop are hyprcritical though...

snoseek

2-3 beers at lunch loosens me up nicely. That would be a hard habit to break.

Two pints hits me the same way.it only last a couple hours but I do ski more relaxed.

In all reality it makes more sense to have them for lunch than apres if you have to drive.

Warp Daddy

Nope : Cold turkey till the boots r off WITH one NOTABLE exception -- Tremblant then i want a shot of Kahlua in my coffee to friggin warm up :D:D:D @ noon

jrmagic

It depends on the day. There are days I may have a few beers hrough the course of the day but never to the point where there is even a noticeable buzz that I am skiing with.

drjeff

At Killington? I go stealth. Jets. Wicked classy.

Does your stealth include the tails of a Sanchez jersey hanging out from under your starter jacket or do you put the Jersey over your jacket?? The tails hanging out really takes one up 4 or 5 notches in the class level IMHO :lol: