• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

MR. evil

Several rides so far on my new wheel set and I couldn't be happier with them. They are noticeably lighter than my previous wheel set, about 300gr lighter and I can feel the difference. The Hadley rear hub just seems to roll faster than the previous Hope rear and the 72pt engagement is real nice, especially when coming out of a corner and laying down the power.

MR. evil

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just ordered a new bike rack for my truck. The rack looks pretty sweet and gets nothing but rave reviews over on MTBR. Hope to have it for the weekend.

https://www.1upusa.com/

bvibert

Staff member
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just ordered a new bike rack for my truck. The rack looks pretty sweet and gets nothing but rave reviews over on MTBR. Hope to have it for the weekend.

https://www.1upusa.com/

Actually that might make a good new thread, maybe I'll start one...

Anyway, yes, those racks get good press over on MTBR. The only complaint I can remember seeing is for a broken bolt, but it seems to be an isolated incident:
http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/so-you-think-your-1up-rack-secure-850586.html

BackLoafRiver

All this warm weather has my mind drifting to two wheels lately.

I was toying with making two upgrades this winter; one to the MTB and one to the road.

For the MTB - I was looking at upgrading the crank from the deore triple that is on there to an XT (M785) so I can run a 2x. I would love to go 1x11 but that whole thing is damned expensive. I'd consider going to a 1x10 with a chain guide but worry I would miss that second ring.

Also wanted to upgrade my brakes from elixer 5's to xt. After riding with a friends set last summer, the difference seems to be worth the price

For the road - I am not in love with the Apex Groupset. I was looking to switch it up a bit but not sure where to go. Mostly,I don't care for the shifting. It isn't as smooth as I would like and it it feels rather clunky.

The MTB crank is my priority so I am trying to save some $$ so I can switch up the road bike. Any opinions out there? I would imagine that the Force grouppo isn't a big enough step up to warrant the $$ but I feel like Red is stupid money.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member

I was toying with making two upgrades this winter; one to the MTB and one to the road.

For the MTB - I was looking at upgrading the crank from the deore triple that is on there to an XT (M785) so I can run a 2x. I would love to go 1x11 but that whole thing is damned expensive. I'd consider going to a 1x10 with a chain guide but worry I would miss that second ring.

Also wanted to upgrade my brakes from elixer 5's to xt. After riding with a friends set last summer, the difference seems to be worth the price

For the road - I am not in love with the Apex Groupset. I was looking to switch it up a bit but not sure where to go. Mostly,I don't care for the shifting. It isn't as smooth as I would like and it it feels rather clunky.

The MTB crank is my priority so I am trying to save some $$ so I can switch up the road bike. Any opinions out there? I would imagine that the Force grouppo isn't a big enough step up to warrant the $$ but I feel like Red is stupid money.

I have no advice, but I hear you with about the mind drifting to biking. I just spent a couple of days in Phoenix AZ, and it was perfect 70s MTB weather while I was there. I really wished I had my bike, and some time to ride it!

MR. evil

I will only comment on the MTB parts, even though info road bike I know nothing about the gear.

as far as cranks go I would get an SLX double over the XT. It's cheaper, and only weights a little bit more. But the XT brakes are sweet! I have been running them for a little over a year now and they ahev been one of the best upgrades to my bike. If you like the 1x11 stuff but can't stomach the price why not try 1x10? Get a SRAM crank with a removable spider and then a bling ring and new 10 speed stuff out back.

kendall

Website
www.foresthillsrunners.org
Anyone have any advice on what would be the most advantageous use of limited funds on a road bike?

I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade my groupset from 105/Tiagra to SRAM Force or if I should buy a nice new set of wheels. The SRAM Force groupset is about $900 and the wheels are about $1300-1500.

Thanks for any advice.

mlctvt

Wheels made a huge differenece on my 2013 Roubiax expert SL4. I installed a set of Shimano Dura-Ace C24 clinchers that weight about 1390 grams /set. I bought these several years ago. They ride extremely smooth, have serviceable bearings and have been very durable over the last 10,000 miles. My bike weight dropped a pound after just switching out the wheels.
All of my friendss with other brands have been through 2 or more sets of wheels in the same time frame. Mine are model WH-7850-CL24, the current version is WH-9000-C24-CL. Cost is about $1300-1400 at US Bike shops or $950 from UK dealers like Chain Reaction Cycles. They also sell C35 and C50 versions if you want more aerodynamic rims. Look at the reviews , everyone likes these.

MR. evil

I am currently thinking about upgrading my drive train on the MTB and going to a 1x10 setup with a 28t chain ring up front.

bvibert

Staff member
I am currently thinking about upgrading my drive train on the MTB and going to a 1x10 setup with a 28t chain ring up front.

Hey MR. evil in the house! What have you been up to?

Going 1x10 is certainly tempting... I have a love/hate relationship with my front derailleur!

MR. evil

Hey MR. evil in the house! What have you been up to?

Going 1x10 is certainly tempting... I have a love/hate relationship with my front derailleur!

I've been working too much and still slowly renovating the house. Only been on skis a handful of times this season and right now I am actually laid up on the couch recovering from some minor surgery this past Wed. What have you been up to?

I have seen that you have been pretty active over on MTBR lately, you must be getting the MTB itch like me.