• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

MR. evil

DW Link, FTW!

Both frames I was considering had DW Link. The other frame was the Pivot FireBird which is a 6.5" bike while the 5spot is a 5.5" bike. From the beginning I was planning on getting a 6" bike, but when it came time to actually order I realized that I just don't need that much bike for 95% of the riding I do and went back to Turner.

o3jeff

New Frame arrived today. :beer:

I placed an order for some parts to finish the new build with the LBS on Jan 21st. Just called to see if my parts are in, only to be told that my order was actually placed yesterday Jan 30th (9 days later) WTF! Not only do I pay more ordering parts from the LBS, but now I also have to wait several weeks for an order to arrive. That’s just BS. I am on the verge of call up the shop and cancelling the order.

I was hoping to start building it up tonight, but kind of hard to get even the basics started with out a head set.

5spot-raw.JPG

Parts come in?

MR. evil

about 2/3rd of my parts order is waiting for me at the bike shop, most importantly the headset is in and the bike shop is open late tonight so they can press it in for me. Hoping to have most of the bike built up tonight :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
With a baby on your way, its time not $$ that will keep you from riding!!

When is she due?

June!

Presuming I had a mt bike it would be easier to get in rides since I can go and ride and be home in 2 or 3 hours tops. vs. a full day expedition for skiing :)

MR. evil

snapped this last night. About 95% done, should be ready to ride this weekend.

The rear hydro hose is a tad short due to the cable routing. It should be ok for now but I will need to get a longer one soon. The fork is still set at the lower 140mm travel. Need to open it up and set it back to 160mm, but that can wait

build_photo.JPG

o3jeff

Figured you would of shined the old parts while you were waiting on the new stuff!

Looking good! Were is the set post drop?

bvibert

Staff member
Looks good!! Counting on you to get this finished soon so we can get some snow!!! :snow::lol:

:lol:

:beer:

I cleaned out the garage to make more room to work on the bike a few days ago, at least that got the temperature down a bit. I guess now I'll have to go do some work on it...

MR. evil

Figured you would of shined the old parts while you were waiting on the new stuff!

Looking good! Were is the set post drop?

It will eventually get a good cleaning. A bunch of stuff like the stem, bars, brakes and bash guards are going to get replaced. I want to take it out for a few rides before I make any cockpit adjustments.

The adjustable seatpost will go on last. I don't like using the bike stand clamp on a pricey dropper post. So when even I use the bike stand I throw a rigid seat post in the bike.

MR. evil

Took the new scoot out for its maiden ride today. Really impressed with how well the DW Link pedals, and it's traction. The rear end just stays planted to the ground. I on the other hand was not so impressive, really sucked wind out there.

prophet0426

snapped this last night. About 95% done, should be ready to ride this weekend.

The rear hydro hose is a tad short due to the cable routing. It should be ok for now but I will need to get a longer one soon. The fork is still set at the lower 140mm travel. Need to open it up and set it back to 160mm, but that can wait

build_photo.JPG

That looks like a sweet setup. What are you running fo travel in the front?

MR. evil

That looks like a sweet setup. What are you running fo travel in the front?

The fork is an X-Fussion Vengeance HLR. It has a 160mm of travel but I have it lowered to 150mm at the moment. The 5 Spot can easily handle a 160mm fork, but I am going to ride it for a while at 150mm before I try it at 160mm.

This fork is really sweet with inpedentant High speed and low speed compression settings. You can also find left over 2011 models for a song right now. X-Fusion was started by the group that used to make all of Fox's forks & Shocks. So the quality is right up there with Fox & RS, but at price easier on the wallet. All of the pro reviews of this fork have been very positive.