• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

prophet0426

I'm not totally sold on 1x9 either, its more an effort to reduce complexity and be able to run a stronger ring up front. I'll probably stick with what I'm running now though.

1x9 is so sweet. I run the an MRP min G2 with a 34x34 and it seems to work in most situations. The only concern I have is when I got to VT or NH and have to dela with longer sustained climbs. I may swap out for a 32 in the front at that point.

o3jeff

Did you end up sticking with the same sized rotors?

Kept the stock sizes. Giants web site listed the fronts as 180's but when I checked the bike they were actually 185's.

I figured since I weigh 165-170 lbs I really don't need the 203's!

MR. evil

I run the same setup on my GT. I have a 10mm through axle setup on a DT Swiss 240 hub. It's amazing the difference from a 9mm and how stiff the read end is now.

I still dont have mine installed yet. My bike shop ordered the conversion kit for the new Hope Evo hubs and I have the pro2 hub

bvibert

Staff member
Kept the stock sizes. Giants web site listed the fronts as 180's but when I checked the bike they were actually 185's.

I figured since I weigh 165-170 lbs I really don't need the 203's!

I have a 185 on the front of my bike, and a 160 in the rear. I weight quite a bit more than you and they stop me just fine. I have thought about going up in size though, just because I'm a fat ass... My rear rotor is a little tweaked... so maybe...

I finally got my bike put back together on Saturday. Can't wait to get it out there now!

o3jeff

I have a 185 on the front of my bike, and a 160 in the rear. I weight quite a bit more than you and they stop me just fine. I have thought about going up in size though, just because I'm a fat ass... My rear rotor is a little tweaked... so maybe...

I finally got my bike put back together on Saturday. Can't wait to get it out there now!

I've actually been holding off on ordering rotors since Avids have a bad rap for turkey noises. I have the G3 rotors with Elixer R brakes. Can I use anyone's rotors as long as they are the same size?

bvibert

Staff member
I've actually been holding off on ordering rotors since Avids have a bad rap for turkey noises. I have the G3 rotors with Elixer R brakes. Can I use anyone's rotors as long as they are the same size?

You can use any rotor as long as it's the same size. There may be some differences in thickness, but the caliper will adjust for that. I've personally had pretty good luck with my Avid rotors. My front is a G3 and the rear is a G2. I have Juicy 5 brakes.

o3jeff

I was just wondering if there was something better out there to consider. Mine did have some noise, but as long as I re-centered the calipers ever few rides they weren't ok.

bvibert

Staff member
I was just wondering if there was something better out there to consider. Mine did have some noise, but as long as I re-centered the calipers ever few rides they weren't ok.

The only time I re-align my calipers is if I change something. Keeping oils and what not off the rotors will help, even oils from your fingers. If the pads do get glazed up from some contaminant then they can be sanded down a bit, just put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the pads around on it, or just replace the pads. I've given the rotors a light scuffing with somewhat fine sandpaper, in addition to cleaning them with brake cleaner, too. Different pad compounds will be more susceptible to making noise than others.

o3jeff

The only time I re-align my calipers is if I change something. Keeping oils and what not off the rotors will help, even oils from your fingers. If the pads do get glazed up from some contaminant then they can be sanded down a bit, just put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the pads around on it, or just replace the pads. I've given the rotors a light scuffing with somewhat fine sandpaper, in addition to cleaning them with brake cleaner, too. Different pad compounds will be more susceptible to making noise than others.

Thanks Bvibert! Some things to keep in mind. I try not to touch or spray things near them. A couple times i've used some brake cleaner on the rotors, but I will spray it directly to a new rag then wipe.

bvibert

Staff member
Spraying brake clean directly on the rotors is fine.

To answer your question about if there are better rotor options or not; I'm not sure as all I've used is Avid rotors. I've had some noise issues in the past, but cleaning everything up and making sure its adjusted correctly seems to be the solution.

I'm sure I'm jinxing myself now and my rotors will be warbling up a storm when I go out for my first ride. It could also be that I just got used to it and don't notice anymore... :lol:

o3jeff

Spraying brake clean directly on the rotors is fine.

To answer your question about if there are better rotor options or not; I'm not sure as all I've used is Avid rotors. I've had some noise issues in the past, but cleaning everything up and making sure its adjusted correctly seems to be the solution.

I'm sure I'm jinxing myself now and my rotors will be warbling up a storm when I go out for my first ride. It could also be that I just got used to it and don't notice anymore... :lol:

I'll have some used extra rotor soon, one has a slight wobble I think!

bvibert

Staff member
I have probably half a dozen 160mm G2s and a few 185 G3s hanging around my garage. All used and probably at least slightly bent, except for one of the 185s, which is still new in the packaging.

bvibert

Staff member
Did you take it out for a ride around the neighborhood and ride off the neighbors walls and stuff?

Nope, just took it for a few laps around the yard. The shifting seemed to be dialed in, but it'll probably be effed up as soon as I get into the woods...

bvibert

Staff member
1x9 is so sweet. I run the an MRP min G2 with a 34x34 and it seems to work in most situations. The only concern I have is when I got to VT or NH and have to dela with longer sustained climbs. I may swap out for a 32 in the front at that point.

I mainly worry about missing the granny ring in the beginning of the season, like last night. Maybe it was just a crutch, but I don't think I would have made some of the climbs otherwise. Once I get into good riding shape I don't generally use it. Though last year I never really got into good riding shape... :-?

Last night was my first ride with my new Blackspire middle ring up front. It worked flawlessly. Last year, with a cheap steel chain ring I had to keep the front derailleur adjusted so that it rubbed the chain while in the middle ring and in the upper few cogs in the rear, otherwise it would drop down to the granny. The chain is at a bit of an angle, but I don't think it's too extreme. With the new middle ring I adjusted the derailleur correctly and didn't have any problems last night. I'm thinking that the cheap ring was flexing, causing the mis-shifts. Only time will tell if the new ring continues to be trouble free, but so far so good. If it does continue to work I really won't have any reason to go 1x9.

bvibert

Staff member
Think I got all the major parts on order. Brake rotors, organic pads, rear cassette, rear derailleur, front chain rings. Just need to stop at Suburban and order the rear suspension busing kit that is on back order(month or so).

Then just debating on either rebuilding the Fox dhx 4.0 air(which I guess is ok, but sounds like there are a lot of better shocks out there) or just picking up an new Rockshox RT3 for about $50 more and then being able to have it serviced and adjusted by Push since the only ones that will touch that Fox model is Fox.

Did you get all your new parts installed yet?

bvibert

Staff member
Stop painting and get that thing ready to roll! The woods are in excellent shape!

o3jeff

Waiting on the rotors. They are both rideable I think. I should probably chech the air in the fork and shock to make sure they hold air!