• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

MR. evil

Not really a winter project but starting to make the transition to tubeless. Setup the back wheel and will eventually get to the front if I like it.

Are you rims tubeless compatible or are you using a conversion kit?

The last time I rode with you you had some Dt Swiss EX5 rims, do you still have the same rims? My rims are the DT Swiss EX5.1d which is pretty much the same rims as yours, just the older version. I have had pretty good luck with them tubeless using the ghetto 20" bmx tube method. I have also heard that the Stans or DT Swiss rubber rim strips work very well for these rims. I briefly tried using the Stans yellow tape last season with poor results. The tape sealed the spoke holes and made the rims / tires air tight. But there wasn’t enough thickness to the tape to help lock the tire bead into the rim. So I was constantly burping air even at high pressure. After a couple of weeks I lost confidence in the setup and I was back to the ghetto setup. I have heard that people use Gorilla Tape with very good luck. Its much thicker than the Stans yellow tape and locks the tire beads in better. Its also only $5 a roll compared to $15 for the yellow tape.

I am not sure what you run for tires, but Kenda tires are a royal pain in the a$$ to seal up. I once tried to get a Nevegal to seal up and the side walls weeped sealant for over a week. Several riding pals have had a similar experience. I have had pretty good luck recently with Spesh’s tires. Just make sure you get the version of the tires with the beefier side wall. Sealant works great at sealing punctures in the tread, but won’t do a dam thing to a torn / sliced side wall. Take it from me, having to throw a tube into a tire with sealant in it on the trail is no fun!

Pretty soon I am going to be re-lacing my Hope Hubs to some new (lighter) tubeless ready rims. Thinking either the Stans ZTR Flows or the new Pacenti TL28. Pretty sure I am going to also be going with 650b upfront as my fork has the clearance for it and is also certified for it by Xfusion.

MR. evil

yes please! I am about to order some new rims and that would come in very handy

No. I was about to pull the trigger on some a while back. At the last minute I discovered that they were pinned, not welded and it was a deal breaker.

WoodCore

Are you rims tubeless compatible or are you using a conversion kit?

The last time I rode with you you had some Dt Swiss EX5 rims, do you still have the same rims? My rims are the DT Swiss EX5.1d which is pretty much the same rims as yours, just the older version. I have had pretty good luck with them tubeless using the ghetto 20" bmx tube method. I have also heard that the Stans or DT Swiss rubber rim strips work very well for these rims. I briefly tried using the Stans yellow tape last season with poor results. The tape sealed the spoke holes and made the rims / tires air tight. But there wasn’t enough thickness to the tape to help lock the tire bead into the rim. So I was constantly burping air even at high pressure. After a couple of weeks I lost confidence in the setup and I was back to the ghetto setup. I have heard that people use Gorilla Tape with very good luck. Its much thicker than the Stans yellow tape and locks the tire beads in better. Its also only $5 a roll compared to $15 for the yellow tape.

I am not sure what you run for tires, but Kenda tires are a royal pain in the a$$ to seal up. I once tried to get a Nevegal to seal up and the side walls weeped sealant for over a week. Several riding pals have had a similar experience. I have had pretty good luck recently with Spesh’s tires. Just make sure you get the version of the tires with the beefier side wall. Sealant works great at sealing punctures in the tread, but won’t do a dam thing to a torn / sliced side wall. Take it from me, having to throw a tube into a tire with sealant in it on the trail is no fun!

Pretty soon I am going to be re-lacing my Hope Hubs to some new (lighter) tubeless ready rims. Thinking either the Stans ZTR Flows or the new Pacenti TL28. Pretty sure I am going to also be going with 650b upfront as my fork has the clearance for it and is also certified for it by Xfusion.

Picked up a new rear wheel........... Stans ZTR Crest 29er with a Hope Evo Pro 2 hub and it is tubeless compatible simply by changing the valve stem and using the Stans yellow rim tape. I also switched tires from the Kenda Nevegal to a Maxxis Ardent which was pretty easy to setup tubeless at least compared to some of the horror stories I've heard about Nevegals. Haven't been for a ride on it yet because of all the rain but if I like the way it rolls I'll look to do the same with the front wheel.

o3jeff

If you have never tried anything else the Juicy 5's might seem great. But having recently tried a bike with good brakes the difference is astounding. Much more power and better modulation.

I actually ordered them through my bike shop, but they gave me a bro deal that was about equal to the price on that web site plus shipping.

I saw a guy on the trail this morning have a problem with his Juicy 5's

MR. evil

Just picked up the XTs from the LBS, hope to test them Sunday morning.

MR. evil

First ride with the new brakes this morning. So far I really like them.

Not even broken in yet they are more powerfull and have MUCH better modulation than my old Juicy 5s. Once the pads get broken in these things are going to be sweet. These brakes have really short levers and were designed for one finger braking. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like one finger braking and if I would be able to get enough power with using only one finger. It turns out I really like this one finger braking thing. You can easily lock up these brakes with just one finger and keeping all but your index finger on your grips while riding a techy downhill section is nice.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Picked up the big rig this evening. So psyched to get on the new wheels...ended up with the Hope Pro 2 evo's wrapped with Mavic 819, tubeless ready rims. They look awesome and the freehub sounds mean!!

Also, Fox said my stanchions were twisted and they didn't like the feel.....so, for another few bucks, in addition to the rebuild and the high volume piston I ordered, they set me up with new stanchions they had in the shop.

I also went big with some Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires..I am really lookiong forward to tomorrow's ride!!

bvibert

Staff member
Anyone have any cycling related winter projects going on this year?

I've been too busy this winter to think much about MTB, but it seems like spring is approaching quickly. It'll probably be a good idea to try to remember what I broke on my last ride, so I can order replacement parts...

WoodCore

Was thinking about sending my fork and shock out to be "pushed" but haven't motivated quite yet. Other than that just need to tweak/tune the drivetrain and away we go!

Kinda cycle related..........just installed a kegorator in my garage to greet me at the end my rides! :smile:

bvibert

Staff member
Was thinking about sending my fork and shock out to be "pushed" but haven't motivated quite yet. Other than that just need to tweak/tune the drivetrain and away we go!

Kinda cycle related..........just installed a kegorator in my garage to greet me at the end my rides! :smile:

I know where I'll be riding out of this year! :beer:

o3jeff

None, think the mtn bikes are in good shape since they didn't get much use last year. Need to look at the road bike and see if I need to be doing anything to it.

o3jeff

Anyone have any cycling related winter projects going on this year?

I've been too busy this winter to think much about MTB, but it seems like spring is approaching quickly. It'll probably be a good idea to try to remember what I broke on my last ride, so I can order replacement parts...

I think you need to look at those Juicy brakes!