• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

MR. evil

MTN Bike:
Getting a new custom wheel set built at the moment. WTB i23 tubeless rims with a Hope Pro 2 front hub and Hadley rear hub. Also comtemplting going to a 1x10 drive train. Dont use the small ring very much and it would drop over 1 lbs off the bike. Other than that my bike is in great shape and ready to roll as soon as spring hit.

Road Bike:
The road bike is going to need some new tires and brake pads. Might also need some new chainrings and a cassette. Going to hot the road early and hard this year. I intend on doing the Village Cahrity ride this year, the 100k ride and I also want to get in my first century in the fall

mlctvt

Road bike single- Install my new FSA K-Wing Carbon compact handlebars. Full tuneup , new chain etc also repack the wheel bearings in the Dura-Ace C24 wheelset.

Tandem Road Bike - Install new handlebars on this one too, some FSA Omega Compact bars I got off Chainlove for $18. Also install my new shaved Aria Drum brake on our hill climbing wheelset. We're going to do some hilly Centuries in Vermont this year so the drum brake will come in handy slowing this beast down from close to 60mph. Can't afford a rear wheel blowout from rim brakes especially coming down Appalachian Gap.

BackLoafRiver

Aside from the stuff I am working on in the bike maintenance course, I am planning on the following for my road ride:

1) new tires. My old ones are in need of replacing ASAP. (read: before I get on the road)
2) New wheels. Not sure where to go with this either.
3) New bar tape - Lame I know but it seems like something every man should know how to do.
4) New chain

Nothing major in store for the MTB. As with you Mr. Evil, I am planning on getting on the road the second they are rideable. I am looking to do some long distance stuff this summer and if I am going to make it happen, I need to get on my bike

o3jeff

Anyone have any cycling related winter projects going on this year?

I've been too busy this winter to think much about MTB, but it seems like spring is approaching quickly. It'll probably be a good idea to try to remember what I broke on my last ride, so I can order replacement parts...

Did you ever get a new fork?

MR. evil

Just picked up my new wheel set

WTB Frequency i23 tubeless rims, 650b front, 26 rear
Hope pro2 front hub with 20mm axle
Hadley rear hub, 10mm thru axle, titanium drive shell, 72pt engagement
DT Swiss super comp spokes, orange anodized nipples

These this are wider and MUCH lighter than the wheels they replaced. Can't wait to give them a go
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363302912.242509.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363302924.221475.jpg

MR. evil

A new Schwalb Hans Damph 650b up front and a used Spesh Clutch in the rear. Have several Spesh 26" tires with life left in them. Going to use them up and the. Give a Schwalb Nobby Nick a go in the rear.

you actually going to ride this year? What about riding with my team on the charity ride?

o3jeff

A new Schwalb Hans Damph 650b up front and a used Spesh Clutch in the rear. Have several Spesh 26" tires with life left in them. Going to use them up and the. Give a Schwalb Nobby Nick a go in the rear.

you actually going to ride this year? What about riding with my team on the charity ride?

I need to get on the bike first before I commit to it! How many miles is it?

MR. evil

I need to get on the bike first before I commit to it! How many miles is it?

There are (3) different ride distances:
25k (about 15.5 miles)
50k (about 31 miles)
100k (about 62 miles)

Last year there were many out of shape people on questionable bikes doing the 25k just fine. I also belive the 25k ride is kind of flat, the 50k pretty hilly, and the 100k has lots of climbing. My goal s to do the 100k, if for some reason I don't feel up to it then it will be the 50K

o3jeff

25k (about 15.5 miles)
50k (about 31 miles)
100k (about 62 miles)

Last year there were many out of shape people on questionable bikes doing the 25k just fine. I also belive the 25k ride is kind of flat, the 50k pretty hilly, and the 100k has lots of climbing. My goal s to do the 100k, if for some reason I don't feel up to it then it will be the 50K

Does the whole team have to do the same distance? Hate to be doing the 100K myself if you guys chicken out.

bvibert

Staff member
25k (about 15.5 miles)
50k (about 31 miles)
100k (about 62 miles)

Yeah, there was some real clunkers out there last year. I was kind of surprised.