Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLESS View Post
    ahhhh someone else who gets it, thank you. Now if you told me that you were going to give me a million dollars to solve some basic algebra or geometry problems....I couldnt do it. Agreed, we all have things we're good at, and things we're not.
    basically it all depends on the person

Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Agreed, we all have things we're good at, and things we're not.
    So if you're not good at something or a complete noob but wanna get better?

... go ahead ... say it!

Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post

... go ahead ... say it!
    Let's try try again!!!!
    Else we practice!!!
    So off we go,
    Something fun to do
    Or we can play an old game
    Now onto more....
    Skiing
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post

... go ahead ... say it!
    Love the rolleyes....reminds me of when I was 12.

IMO if your not good or wanna get better at something, I would ask a friend whos good at it, before I go pay a complete stranger to do it...to each is own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by oakapple View Post
    If he'd said, "Athletics come naturally to me, and luckily I also have a knack for teaching others," no one would've cared. But of course, such a statement would have been so unremarkable that he likely wouldn't've said it.

Instead, he said, ""WHO THE F&CK takes lessons?" And this is the same guy who said, "Am I way off in thinking that getting down the greens, blues and blacks were really the easy part of skiing?" This suggests, not merely that he is good at it himself, but that he basically has no f&cking clue what is going on with anyone else.

But this phenomenon is not unknown among skiers. Our original poster sounds like he is pretty good at skiing, but thought he could teach his GF, and wound up doing everything wrong. No one is vilifying him, but it's just kinda funny.

Im confused by this. What do you mean I have no clue with whats going on with others? The people on the mountain? the people I taught? huh?

I was joking at the people who take lessons.....I dunno, the 20-30 people I know who ski very well and ski all the time.....none of them have ever taken lessons. I just kinda assumed that not a lot of people did I guess.....I have already apologized for the ignorant frame of mind there, and repeatedly said that if you think you'll benefit from them, then go ahead. Ill save my $ and concentrate more on making myself better. Just a personal choice.

Instead, he said, ""WHO THE F&CK takes lessons?" And this is the same guy who said, "Am I way off in thinking that getting down the greens, blues and blacks were really the easy part of skiing?" This suggests, not merely that he is good at it himself, but that he basically has no f&cking clue what is going on with anyone else.
    Im confused by this. What do you mean I have no clue with whats going on with others? The people on the mountain? the people I taught? huh?
    I admire the fact that you're a natural athlete. But you seem to have no clue that many people, probably most, are NOT naturals; that such people actually get better, more quickly, by taking lessons. You also seem to have no clue that the ability to teach is itself a skill, and in general being a good skier does not automatically make you a good teacher. (The first post in this thread gives plenty of evidence of this last statement.) Ski instructors actually go to school themselves, to learn how to teach others to ski.

It could very well be that, among your many skills, you are actually as good at teaching as those who've specifically been trained to do so. It may also be that you have no clue about what you don't know, and that the people you've taught would have learned even quicker, or that their technique would be even better, if they'd worked with an instructor. Given the general tenor of your comments, I suspect the latter is true.

Are lessons worth the money? I dunno. No one offered to teach me for free, so either I would have had lessons, or I wouldn't have learned at all.

I admire the fact that you're a natural athlete. But you seem to have no clue that many people, probably most, are NOT naturals; that such people actually get better, more quickly, by taking lessons. You also seem to have no clue that the ability to teach is itself a skill, and in general being a good skier does not automatically make you a good teacher. (The first post in this thread gives plenty of evidence of this last statement.) Ski instructors actually go to school themselves, to learn how to teach others to ski.

It could very well be that, among your many skills, you are actually as good at teaching as those who've specifically been trained to do so. It may also be that you have no clue about what you don't know, and that the people you've taught would have learned even quicker, or that their technique would be even better, if they'd worked with an instructor. Given the general tenor of your comments, I suspect the latter is true.

Are lessons worth the money? I dunno. No one offered to teach me for free, so either I would have had lessons, or I wouldn't have learned at all.

I hear what your saying. I just didnt find it that hard to learn. I assumed most people could do it with some patience & practice, without taking lessons. Maybe people do learn quicker with lessons. I dont know. It still doesnt change my mind....part of the fun of skiing for me was learning on my own...a personal pride kinda thing. I was always of the "just go out there and do it" mindset. to each is own.

Even Linsey Vonn takes skiing lessons - its called coaching.

Tiger Woods takes golf lessons too. Coaching again.
    Wait Till Next Year!!!

This thread is filled to the rafters with awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDork View Post
    Even Linsey Vonn takes skiing lessons - its called coaching.

Tiger Woods takes golf lessons too. Coaching again.
    bleh. Of course they get coached and take lessons. Theyre elite, the best of the best. 99% of people skiing and golfing arent trying to be tiger woods or lindsey vonn...theyre out there for fun.

Thread Information