• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time

SkiDork

FirstTimeSkiInstructor said:
Anyway, we got up there early and rented her some skis. They wanted to give her like 140mm skis since it was her first time but I was like come on I ski 185s and anything less than 160 isn't a real ski... so she ended up with 150's or 160's I don't remember... at least a decent pair of Rossignol Bandit rental skis and she is like 5'10" so she dont need no short ass skies...

mistake

skiadikt

agree the longer skis were a mistake. probably why she tired out that quickly. also u should have spent the entire day at snowshed. if u wanted to get adventurous, maybe take her under the tunnel to ramshead but the peak - no way ...

bdfreetuna

And this is why you never teach someone to ski who is your Spouse,significant other ,or your child.Also it quite obvious that you pushed her way beyond he abilities just so you could ski a shitty wrap around.

I only took her on green circles.. and what is a shitty wrap around?

Did u hit 75mph?

Topped out at 124mph

Did you get laid after?

No it was the wrong time of the month for that but we fooled around in other ways.. but she felt bad I spent all that money on her that day so I said dont worry about it but if you're really concerned you can pay me back with sex.. actually that was mostly her idea come to think of it 8)

She has a nice smile. It's too bad you took it away from her on her first skiing experience. Expert instructors know that the most important thing they can do is make it fun enough that a student will return for another lesson. Next time, listen to the advice given from the rental shop, care enough about your girl to pony up for a legitimate lesson, buy her a nice lunch after she completes the lesson and then return to the same trail(s) that her instructor taught her on so not to preempt her learning by removing her from her comfort zone.

Well I already spent like $300 fucking dollars that day just to buy her and my tickets and rentals and dinner afterwards... shit I'm not made of money! Next time I will buy her a lesson and go to a smaller ski area. And yes she does have a nice smile and she was smiling right after the sled ride and we had a few drinks at the K-1 lodge. She's a trooper, damn right!

THE ONLY WAY SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN EXHAUSTED IS BECAUSE YOU HAD HER IN A POWER WEDGE FROM MINUTE 1.
Feel sorry for her and i don't even know her.Hope you didn't scar her for life.
I have had people who couldn't do it but we have a 99% success rate on a 2 turn and turn to stop final station.

Dude you did a major injustice to your girlfriend.

Yeah I know that's why her legs got tired. Believe me she is not scarred for life we had a great night afterwards. Thanks for judging me with such reckless abandon!

Anyway she says she wants to go skiing again so I don't think it was a FAIL. And Jesus it's not like I took her up to MRG and said "this is Paradise, meet you at the bottom!"

I was right beside her the whole time.

bdfreetuna

agree the longer skis were a mistake. probably why she tired out that quickly. also u should have spent the entire day at snowshed. if u wanted to get adventurous, maybe take her under the tunnel to ramshead but the peak - no way ...

Yeah you are right I overestimated her leg strength but she has been going to the gym lately so she'll be stronger soon.

I should not have taken her up the K-1 Gondola but I wanted to show her what it was like to ride in a Gondola because that's like a cool experience... I didn't really realize how much bigger of a peak that was compared to Showshed.

It was definitely my bad. But the ski patrol were SUPER awesome and cool about the whole thing and when we got to the bottom the guy had a smile on his face and I shook his hand and he said it was genuinely his pleasure.

Big shout out to Killington Mountain Ambassadors / Ski Patrol and Ski Patrol in general.

oakapple

Well, it goes to show why most good athletes are not good coaches. If you think about pro and collegiate sports, many of the best known coaches had quite undistinguished careers as players. The ability to perform the sport, and the ability to teach the sport, seldom coincide in the same individual. Indeed, being good at it is often a drawback, as you fail to realize the difficulties that a less talented individual will encounter.

billdee

My wife taught me to ski when in our early 20s -- she a Vermonter and me a city boy. I couldn't believe she could ski backwards and I was really shocked when we ended up on Ovation and I nearly died and wanted to dump her. 26 years later we were flying down Superstar this weekend with four kids way ahead of us, loving it.
Meanwhile, Killington was fun this weekend if you realized ice is nice. Bear Mountain was good, Superstar top was ice/mid was nice/and bottom was slick and hard. And you can forget about the Snowden quad area as it was a skating rink. They're doing the best they can but be prepared and have sharp edges if you go.

bdfreetuna

Really I found the conditions at Killington over the weekend to be really nice, soft snow.

Maybe I'm just used to straight ICE and anything better than that is a luxury to me ;)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My wife taught me to ski when in our early 20s -- she a Vermonter and me a city boy. I couldn't believe she could ski backwards and I was really shocked when we ended up on Ovation and I nearly died and wanted to dump her. 26 years later we were flying down Superstar this weekend with four kids way ahead of us, loving it.
Meanwhile, Killington was fun this weekend if you realized ice is nice. Bear Mountain was good, Superstar top was ice/mid was nice/and bottom was slick and hard. And you can forget about the Snowden quad area as it was a skating rink. They're doing the best they can but be prepared and have sharp edges if you go.

Welcome to the boards, great story, I think you are the first I've heard where a girl took you skiing for the first time :)

I have less sympathy for guys. You should be able to ski down anything even if you have to slide on your butt, :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyway, we got up there early and rented her some skis. They wanted to give her like 140mm skis since it was her first time but I was like come on I ski 185s and anything less than 160 isn't a real ski... so she ended up with 150's or 160's I don't remember... at least a decent pair of Rossignol Bandit rental skis and she is like 5'10" so she dont need no short ass skies...

can't make this stuff up. :lol:

gmcunni

dude, dump her now and find a girl that skis. no matter what she says she's too old to get into the sport and love it like you do. she will suck the fun out of your life if you stay with her.

deadheadskier

Staff member
bdfreetuna

You wouldn't happen to be related to some dude in Allentown, PA that sells tombstones would you?

Cheese

Well I already spent like $300 fucking dollars that day just to buy her and my tickets and rentals and dinner afterwards... shit I'm not made of money!

In the future, if you decide to bring new skiers to a resort go straight to the ski school desk. They can tell you how to sign her up for a "Learn to Ski Program". Had you done this, she would have gotten a lift ticket, rentals and a lesson for $129.

http://www.killington.com/winter/lessons/adult_group_lessons/learn_to_ski

ALLSKIING

Staff member

gmcunni

if you don't dump her then sign her up here on AZ so the two of you can ski Sugarloaf for cheap in the spring. discounted lodging (room for 2) free booze and food at the parties. she'll have a nice place to hang out while you rack some high speed vert in the AM and the two of you can go to the top and cruise down the greens together in the afternoon.

who knows, if you get a couple more of your private lessons into her i'm sure you'll have her skiing the glades of bracket basin, they're pretty tame.