• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time

drjeff

if you don't dump her then sign her up here on AZ so the two of you can ski Sugarloaf for cheap in the spring. discounted lodging (room for 2) free booze and food at the parties. she'll have a nice place to hang out while you rack some high speed vert in the AM and the two of you can go to the top and cruise down the greens together in the afternoon.

who knows, if you get a couple more of your private lessons into her i'm sure you'll have her skiing the glades of bracket basin, they're pretty tame.

i'm thinking that we should start the over/under max speed run down White Nitro somewhere around 90 ;) :lol:

vdk03

i'm thinking that we should start the over/under max speed run down White Nitro somewhere around 90 ;) :lol:

who's in charge of bringing the radar gun to the summit this year, I see a new land speed record on the horizon:cool:.

neil

Has HighwayStar posted in a bdfreetuna thread yet?

John W

GEESUS KRYSTE!!!! Talk about a tough crowd.. DBfreeTuna, I like that move. The only thing I would have done different is putting her in a lesson first. Other then that. Have her jump in the deep end and help her swim!

Skiing is AWESOME and getting someone new into it is a great thing. My wife is coming along also and she had NEVER DONE IT when we first got together 6 years ago. She is skiing blues now. And she likes coming with me.. And thats what's most important... Doing things that you love together...

Riverskier

I can almost understand skipping the lesson and can almost understand taking her up the gondi. That said, when my wife tried skiing for the first time I put her in a learn to ski lesson, and NEVER pushed her past her comfort zone, or took her anywhere she wasn't 100% ready to go. She is a very conservative person though, and if your girlfriend is more aggressive or athletic by nature, I get the mentality. Where you lost me is with the ski length choice..... What the hell does your ski length preference, as a presumabley expert male skier, have to do with what is right for a first time female? You should have listened to the shop, and you just made her day that much more difficult for absolutely no reason.

bdfreetuna

Yeah I'll buy her lessons at an easier local mountain next time while I just have fun rippin the slopes

Maybe after her lessons she'll be confident enough to take a run with me? Who knows :)

gmcunni

Yeah I'll buy her lessons at an easier local mountain next time while I just have fun rippin the slopes

Maybe after her lessons she'll be confident enough to take a run with me? Who knows :)

check this year's details but the last 2 years the AZ summit has included a FREE LESSON as part of the package.

snoseek

Send her out my way. I will display the patience and understanding that she clearly needs. Your best bet would be to stay home. She will thank me after-trust me....

gmcunni

It does this year also

this event is perfect for tuna and his chick.

cheap lodging, free sunday ticket, romantic setting, free lessons, free booze, free food, AZ swag, early morning high speed lapping on sunday.

what more could you ask for?

drjeff

Lessons! It is real easy to say turn left or turn right. But how do you tell her what to do to actually turn left or turn right. The instructors are real good (and have lots of practice and patience) in telling them how to actually turn. Lean this way, weight on this edge of this ski, etc....

At Sunday River, ticket, lesson and rentals are $85.00. You won't HAVE to hug and kiss her as much afterwards, you'll just get to.

Really, skiing and teaching skiing are two entirely different things. Go give her a hug, and promise her real lessons with a trained instructor. And give her a kiss, too. Your heart is in the right place, and so is hers.

Plus the added benefit with most instructors is that since they're doing this (teaching) all the time, chances are they have the ability to quickly be able to change how they're explaining what their trying to teach to meet the comprehension/needs of different people (since I think its safe to say that not everyone gets the message that some people are trying to convey ;) ) so the instructor is focusing on how to improve the skills of that person in the best way for them, not just trying to explain it in a way that makes sense to them(the instructor)

VTSKICTLAX

Lessons! It is real easy to say turn left or turn right. But how do you tell her what to do to actually turn left or turn right. The instructors are real good (and have lots of practice and patience) in telling them how to actually turn. Lean this way, weight on this edge of this ski, etc....

At Sunday River, ticket, lesson and rentals are $85.00. You won't HAVE to hug and kiss her as much afterwards, you'll just get to.

Really, skiing and teaching skiing are two entirely different things. Go give her a hug, and promise her real lessons with a trained instructor. And give her a kiss, too. Your heart is in the right place, and so is hers.

I haven't been here all that long but this is by far my favorite thread so far...LMAO reading all the different opinions and agree with many...Tuna, love the spirit and wanting to get the love of your life skiing...I really do...and I know that your heart was in the right place...I just think it's hilarious that she takes the sled down to finish the day...my wife would have killed me! To each his own...

bdfreetuna

this event is perfect for tuna and his chick.

cheap lodging, free sunday ticket, romantic setting, free lessons, free booze, free food, AZ swag, early morning high speed lapping on sunday.

what more could you ask for?

I might convince her to come on here and make a few posts ... sounds good to me!

Plus I've never been to Sugarloaf and it sounds epic as f*ck so if theres some way I can slay the trails and the back bowls and all that while she gets some professional lessons....

that would be what's up!:cool:

gmcunni

I might convince her to come on here and make a few posts ... sounds good to me!

Plus I've never been to Sugarloaf and it sounds epic as f*ck so if theres some way I can slay the trails and the back bowls and all that while she gets some professional lessons....

that would be what's up!:cool:

best part will be Sunday AM. Let her sleep in and you get a ticket to ski the mountain before it opens. you lap the super quad lift for an hour, cruising real fast on the fresh groomed trails. i think nick said he hit 64 MPH last year, on old skis without wax.