• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time

BLESS

And you probably look like crap skiing too!:argue:

why you would assume that, other than to be a doosh...I have no idea. Since you're calling me out, I must defend myself in saying I ski quite well. I dont think youd watch me ski & say "he looks bad" thats for sure.

But why would you even care? If I looked awful and was still having a blast, would that not be ok? Or is it all about "looking good" to you?

SkiDork

bleh. Of course they get coached and take lessons. Theyre elite, the best of the best. 99% of people skiing and golfing arent trying to be tiger woods or lindsey vonn...theyre out there for fun.

I'm confused. First you say most peeps don't need a lesson if they're relatively athletic/have good balance etc. (such as yourself). Then I say the best in the world take lessons and you say that they're the best so they need lessons?

OK, so if you're athletic you don't need a lesson, unless you're REALLY athletic, then you need a lesson.

And if you're not athletic you need a lesson.

OK, so only the top and bottom end of the spectrum needs the lessons/coaching. Middle of the road no?

Did I get it right?

MadMadWorld

To cut to the chase, conditions were overall great at Killington.... really soft snow and nice powder.. They had WAY to many ropes up though on trails I would have totally skiied and they looked totally legit to ski.

Anyway, I wasn't out there to slay the mountain that day. I was out there to introduce the love of my life to my favorite past time.

We had gone out for like 4 years, then broke up as our paths took different courses, and just a month or so ago we started to really reconnect. I asked her if she wanted to go skiing and she said she would love to try it.

Since I am an expert skier I assumed I would be an expert ski instructer. That turned out to be mostly not true ;)

f9hzi9.png

I knew what the ending to this story was before I even read it. Teaching and doing are two very different things and I can't even count how many times I was in the middle of a lesson and listening to a couple fight on the hill. Even the best instructors should never teach a wife/girlfriend how to ski. Even as an instructor I lost patience and got into an argument with 3 seperate girlfriends while trying to teach them how to ski. Seperate all the feelings and expectations and let someone that has no agenda teach the lesson. I finally gave in and allowed my wife to be taught by someone else and now she is a fantastic skier and I only give my feedback when she asks. The decision was definitely eye opening and rewarding at the same time.

BLESS

I'm confused. First you say most peeps don't need a lesson if they're relatively athletic/have good balance etc. (such as yourself). Then I say the best in the world take lessons and you say that they're the best so they need lessons?

OK, so if you're athletic you don't need a lesson, unless you're REALLY athletic, then you need a lesson.

And if you're not athletic you need a lesson.

OK, so only the top and bottom end of the spectrum needs the lessons/coaching. Middle of the road no?

Did I get it right?

sort of. Obviously the best in the world need to keep "honing their craft" so to speak, In order to stay on top, right? Also, the people who have not very much athletic ability would probably also benefit from lessons. IMO there are plenty of others who are perfectly happy with their progress, and ability who dont nor wont, need lessons, no?

hammer

When is it ever a good approach to take a person skiing for the first time up to the summit of a big ski area without lessons or training?

We can debate whether people really need lessons to be able to ski well (I'm sure that athletically inclined people can hack their way down the mountain and look OK doing it) but I can't see how taking a newbie right to the top of most major ski areas will work well regardless of their athletic skill or attitude.

The OP tried to be a bit adventurous with his GF and it didn't work out well...fortunately it seems like she was a good sport about it and no harm was done.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
So what's this about? :smash:

Is it about taking lessons to make you a better skier or to be able to enjoy skiing? or are they synonymous

MadMadWorld

sort of. Obviously the best in the world need to keep "honing their craft" so to speak, In order to stay on top, right? Also, the people who have not very much athletic ability would probably also benefit from lessons. IMO there are plenty of others who are perfectly happy with their progress, and ability who dont nor wont, need lessons, no?
Any person at any level can benefit from a lesson. Period. But at the same time, not everyone has an interest in getting better. If someone is happy skiing low intermediate trails all day than more power to them.

oakapple

Any person at any level can benefit from a lesson. Period. But at the same time, not everyone has an interest in getting better. If someone is happy skiing low intermediate trails all day than more power to them.

Statements containing "Period." are always exaggerations. It never fails.

Lessons have definitely jump-started my improvement, and if money were no object I would take them more often.

But I have certainly made significant improvements on my own, without the benefit of lessons.

powhunter

Bottom line=Dont take your GF/Wife skiing. They belong at home cleaning and cooking for their master

Steveo

MadMadWorld

Statements containing "Period." are always exaggerations. It never fails.

Lessons have definitely jump-started my improvement, and if money were no object I would take them more often.

But I have certainly made significant improvements on my own, without the benefit of lessons.

What is the exaggeration? You said it yourself lessons have helped you. I'm not arguing afford ability or any of that other crap. And yea its possible to learn stuff on your own but after awhile you lose the ability to critique yourself or find areas of improvement.

Power hunter - lol. Amen to that!

oakapple

What is the exaggeration?

The statement that if you're not in a lesson, you have no interest in getting better and are likely stuck as a perpetual low-intermediate. I don't think that is true. Lessons do accelerate your learning, but there are other ways to learn. I don't disbelieve the guy who says he is an advanced skier and never took a lesson in his life.

MadMadWorld

What is the exaggeration? You said it yourself lessons have helped you. I'm not arguing afford ability or any of that other crap. And yea its possible to learn stuff on your own but after awhile you lose the ability to critique yourself or find areas of improvement.

Power hunter - lol. Amen to that!

Wow....where the heck did I write anything like that? I simply stated that everyone can benefit from a lesson regardless of their ability. Some people have no desire to improve and enjoy the sport of skiing within their own ability. My only point was that some people choose not to improve because of fear, rather ski with their kids, etc.

bdfreetuna

you guys are being way too hard on this kid. OH BOO HOO he took his girl to the top of the mountain and went down a green circle!!!!!!! WHAT A DOOOSH!!!!!! The only thing he really screwed up on was ski length, shoulda listened to them there. Shes gonna be SCARRED for life?!?!?!? are you serious? Hey kid, (or any other guy on here) NEWSFLASH: if your girl is the type of girl who will "dump" you or be "scarred for life" because you pushed her a lil bit to try something new and she wussed out and "couldnt get down"...then you didnt want to be with her anyway ;) get rid of her now and save yourself a lifetime of misery.

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people. Does making fun of this kid somehow make you feel better about yourselves? He made a mistake, he admitted it.....lets move on. PS, I dont know this kid at all.

Holy shit somebody who feels me here!

I never took lessons but I guess when you are older (like in your teens, 20s+) they could help.

Anyway someone mentioned she looks more like a snowboarder. So anyway she said her and her girl friend are gonna go get snowboard lessons at some smaller mountain soon, and she'll probably like that better.

I could care less if she skis or snowboards... just would be nice to take her up to the mountains with me from time to time ya know?

I have fun skiing with snowboarders most of the time, as long as they aren't afraid of the woods and only want to spend the whole day in the "features park". :dontknow:

It's sort of funny so many people came on here saying your relationship is DOOMED and buy did you screw up. Well, I gave it a shot. This girl and me are pretty much unseperatable and have been through a lot of shit... so this was an adventure for her and a little embrassing at the times she kept falling I guess, but she is way over it.

You guys should be asking *me* for relationship advice especially when it comes with how is a Sagittarius supposed to deal with a Pisces woman ;)

BLESS

Holy shit somebody who feels me here!

I never took lessons but I guess when you are older (like in your teens, 20s+) they could help.

Anyway someone mentioned she looks more like a snowboarder. So anyway she said her and her girl friend are gonna go get snowboard lessons at some smaller mountain soon, and she'll probably like that better.

I could care less if she skis or snowboards... just would be nice to take her up to the mountains with me from time to time ya know?

I have fun skiing with snowboarders most of the time, as long as they aren't afraid of the woods and only want to spend the whole day in the "features park". :dontknow:

It's sort of funny so many people came on here saying your relationship is DOOMED and buy did you screw up. Well, I gave it a shot. This girl and me are pretty much unseperatable and have been through a lot of shit... so this was an adventure for her and a little embrassing at the times she kept falling I guess, but she is way over it.

You guys should be asking *me* for relationship advice especially when it comes with how is a Sagittarius supposed to deal with a Pisces woman ;)

um. Im not sure whether to laugh or cry that you compared the two of us....:shutters: :)

And FWIW my wife & I arent supposed to get along either Me- Aries, Her- Scorpio

bobbutts

Probably shouldn't revive this thread but I'm doing it anyway, I have no idea what's been going on here for the last hundred+ posts .. but I saw some girl skiing yesterday, caught an edge and slammed into the hard snow right on her boobs. Her skiing partner (probably bf) came up and she said "That wasn't fun". I thought for a second that maybe it was the couple from this thread.

bdfreetuna

I am Sagittarius and she is Pisces. It's not an easy one.

Nothing to do with the fun ski vacaction but we might be taking a little break. There's a lot of history and it gets intense. Plus she wants to trip all the time which is cool but not I think the answer to psycotheray between something of a couple.

It's bean about 6 years with this woman, mostly on, sometimes off. But it might be time to do my own thing. As a Pisces she slows me down and depresesses me .... but also we have the most inteinse conenection.

I don't know what to do.