Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I might convince her to come on here and make a few posts ... sounds good to me!

Plus I've never been to Sugarloaf and it sounds epic as f*ck so if theres some way I can slay the trails and the back bowls and all that while she gets some professional lessons....

that would be what's up!
    best part will be Sunday AM. Let her sleep in and you get a ticket to ski the mountain before it opens. you lap the super quad lift for an hour, cruising real fast on the fresh groomed trails. i think nick said he hit 64 MPH last year, on old skis without wax.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Aww ... Glad to see this all come to a happy conclusion. Dude - we totally need to get all yer date reports. Even better let us know where you'll be and we'll follow you around and give pointers!

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSKICTLAX View Post
    I haven't been here all that long but this is by far my favorite thread so far...LMAO reading all the different opinions and agree with many...Tuna, love the spirit and wanting to get the love of your life skiing...I really do...and I know that your heart was in the right place...I just think it's hilarious that she takes the sled down to finish the day...my wife would have killed me! To each his own...
    I agree! And, it sounds like my wife and yours would get along very well!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    best part will be Sunday AM. Let her sleep in and you get a ticket to ski the mountain before it opens. you lap the super quad lift for an hour, cruising real fast on the fresh groomed trails. i think nick said he hit 64 MPH last year, on old skis without wax.
    Yup I think it was Hayburner, but it may have been skidder
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

His girl could have not hinted that her legs were shot until they got off the lift. My girlfriend has done that before. I taught her with out any problem, she's never taken a formal lesson. I've never taken any lessons myself but I think I did a pretty good job. Took her maybe 13 days to get to skiing blacks, and not just making it down. She thoroughly enjoys difficult trails. The only thing she doesn't do is glades and seeded moguls, which is fine. Every person is different, my girlfriend would be completely uncomfortable in a ski school, or with an instructor she doesn't know. She gets very embarrassed if she screws anything up in front of strangers and I think that experience would have ruined skiing for her. However, I attribute her quick grasp on alpine skiing with being a very good hockey player. Skiing and ice skating use very similar form and technique. I don't think Tuna was wrong in not giving his girl lessons. The sled ride down the hill..I don't think he pushed her into the chair. She may have been willing on the ride up but when she stood up off the lift, decided her legs were too shot. Some of the people here are making him out to be the devil because they think he pressured her into skiing one last run. I don't think that's the case. I see parents pressuring their kids to do harder trails all of the time, when clearly the child doesn't want to. I've seen a lot of those same kids get seriously hurt, or seriously hurt other people because they don't belong on that trail. Tuna and his girl did the safest thing by utilizing the ski patrol sled service on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bene288 View Post
    Some of the people here are making him out to be the devil because they think he pressured her into skiing one last run.
    Oh, he's not the devil; he was obviously well intended, and his girlfriend apparently hasn't dumped him, so he didn't screw up that badly.

But it's kind of funny that a presumably expert skier made the wrong decision, every single time there was a decision to be made, and his stated rationale for putting her in longer skis was laughably bad. As another poster noted, that decision alone made her day automatically worse, for literally no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by oakapple View Post
    Oh, he's not the devil; he was obviously well intended, and his girlfriend apparently hasn't dumped him, so he didn't screw up that badly.

But it's kind of funny that a presumably expert skier made the wrong decision, every single time there was a decision to be made, and his stated rationale for putting her in longer skis was laughably bad. As another poster noted, that decision alone made her day automatically worse, for literally no reason.
    Yeah I would have listened to the shop and gone with shorter skis. I pushed my girlfriend into BUYING longer skis, when she rented she always got her way.

She looks more like a snowboarder to me. She should try that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    She looks more like a snowboarder to me. She should try that next time.
    His buddy is a snowboarder that hit about 75 MPH top speed at Sunapee. I'm sure he would be a great instructor

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    His buddy is a snowboarder that hit about 75 MPH top speed at Sunapee. I'm sure he would be a great instructor
    AND lover.

Thread Information