Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    you guys are being way too hard on this kid. OH BOO HOO he took his girl to the top of the mountain and went down a green circle!!!!!!! WHAT A DOOOSH!!!!!! The only thing he really screwed up on was ski length, shoulda listened to them there. Shes gonna be SCARRED for life?!?!?!? are you serious? Hey kid, (or any other guy on here) NEWSFLASH: if your girl is the type of girl who will "dump" you or be "scarred for life" because you pushed her a lil bit to try something new and she wussed out and "couldnt get down"...then you didnt want to be with her anyway get rid of her now and save yourself a lifetime of misery.

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people. Does making fun of this kid somehow make you feel better about yourselves? He made a mistake, he admitted it.....lets move on. PS, I dont know this kid at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BLESS View Post
    you guys are being way too hard on this kid. OH BOO HOO he took his girl to the top of the mountain and went down a green circle!!!!!!! WHAT A DOOOSH!!!!!! The only thing he really screwed up on was ski length, shoulda listened to them there. Shes gonna be SCARRED for life?!?!?!? are you serious? Hey kid, (or any other guy on here) NEWSFLASH: if your girl is the type of girl who will "dump" you or be "scarred for life" because you pushed her a lil bit to try something new and she wussed out and "couldnt get down"...then you didnt want to be with her anyway get rid of her now and save yourself a lifetime of misery.

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people. Does making fun of this kid somehow make you feel better about yourselves? He made a mistake, he admitted it.....lets move on. PS, I dont know this kid at all.
    I agree with you. I don't think he did anything that bad. Messed up on getting longer skis, but she managed all day with them until the last run. I see nothing wrong in taking a sled down the hill. Safer to do that then actually push her to get down and end up hurting herself or someone else.

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons?
    People who want to learn how to ski properly, and not from their SO.

I am happy to get lessons, because I don't want to be in position to tell my S/O what to do. Talk about starting arguments and bad feelings. Besides, I can say turn left, but I forget to tell her how to actually make the skis turn left.
    lovin life,

Bob

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people.
    It doesn't sound to me like you've given many lessons on you short life.

Just curious... do you have a significant other or are you single ... lol this post started some debate in my house haha
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people.
    First, I would recommend EVERY beginner time skier take a proper lesson. For the first time, I'd recommend a group lesson, as it instills the thought that "everyone is having the same issues as me", and they get through those first fish-out-of-water moments on the hill together in a fun and safe learning environment.

Secondly, even an expert skier who has never given lessons isnt very adept at teaching skiing. There's a wee-bit more to it than "snow plow" and "turn side to side" and "Oh you're going too fast? Just fall", like you said. Yeah....no.

Third, you've never taken a 1st-time on skis girlfriend skiing, I know this from your post! lol
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    People who want to learn how to ski properly, and not from their SO.

I guess I hear ya.....but I dunno, I would rather teach my wife than a stranger. She would prefer it that way also....not to mention, its free. Personally I have never taken any.....would consider myself an advanced intermediate......I think I would benefit more now from a lesson than I would when I was first starting out. Am I way off in thinking that getting down the greens, blues and blacks were really the easy part of skiing? Its the woods & moguls that really pose a challenge? Thats why I think I would benefit more from a lesson of that kind now, rather than a "this is a snow plow" lesson when I was first starting out...
    Last edited by BLESS; Feb 4, 2012 at 5:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post
    It doesn't sound to me like you've given many lessons on you short life.
    short life? Do you know how old I am? Ive taught several people to both ski & golf.
    Last edited by BLESS; Feb 4, 2012 at 5:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Just curious... do you have a significant other or are you single ... lol this post started some debate in my house haha

I have a wife....who I also taught how to ski.

Thread Information