• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time

Madroch

How did I not find this thread until now... read every page anxiously awaiting trip number 2- only to be crushed to hear they may be taking a break.....so let down....

Wavewheeler

Wow..what a story! At least your girlfriend was cool about it all.

I did the same thing years ago to my husband. He'd never been on skis and a bunch of our friends (we were all skiers but him) went up to Okemo for a week. My husband took a lesson and was doing quite well on the bunny slopes when a bunch of us decided to head up to the top of the mountain and talked him into coming with us. The result wasn't good. After falling down a bunch of times about halfway down he said "I've had enough" and proceeded to take off his skis and walk down. Our friends all laughed and said "He's all yours" and left me there to accompany him down. I tried to talk him into putting the skis back on but he wouldn't so I stayed behind him and tried to act like I didn't know him. :-o

He never put skis on again. But fortunately I did better with my daughter. At age 7 I took her with me and put her in all day ski school at Mountain Creek, Camelback and then Windham and she loved it. Eventually she started skiing with me and I tried very hard to not to "pressure" her to go down trails that were beyond her ability.

. Well there was that time I went down Skyeburst at Killington. After we got off the gondola I said "Oh you can do this" and proceeded to start down. She said "I'm not doing THAT" and she wouldn't follow me down. I was too far down to come back up so so she has to wait at the top of the lift until I went down to Bear and took the quad back up. I still get grief from her over that. .

Now she's running a few blacks at Killington and all the blues so she's coming along nicely but she still won't go down all the trails I do. She's old enough so that we can split up and meet up with each other later. Now she's talking about going snowboarding. I told her she has to get lessons first. She says her boyfriend said he'd teach her. God bless him. :smile:

Wavewheeler

Hahaha ... guys are supposed to be tougher though emotionally ... good story, thanks for sharing!

My pleasure! It's not an uncommon situation to have a "mismatch." The men in my house are not snow lovers.

My husband's idea of a good time in the snow is to ride around in my Jeep during a storm and take pictures. :smile: My son doesn't even like going OUT in the snow, never mind skiing in it. He's never shown ANY interest at all.

Now my daughter..she's tough. When we went up to Killington a few weeks ago she was sick with a cold. She insisted on skiing both days we were there and even ran some blacks with me. She had to rest often though. I could tell she was "off" because I had to stop and wait for her and usually she's right behind or with me.

On the way home she says she's really not feeling well, coughing, etc. The next day I took her to the doctor and she had a full blown case of bronchitis. :cry: But she didn't complain and had insisted on skiing all day even when I gave her the option of going back to the room.

When they put her on antibiotics she said "Damn, I wish we were going THIS week instead of next because I'd feel better!" She's been walking around all winter grousing about the lack of cold/snow. Sounds a lot like me. ;)

Paul_M

Always way easier to get the SO a few lessons to start. My wife had 10 days or so lifetime when we went out west where I had lived, bought my out of work ex-ski patrol buddy lift tickets and he spent 3 hours w her on the lower part of the mtn. We met for lunch and he took off to ski the rest of the day. We did that for 3 days at which point she could handle the mtn on selected runs from top to bottom. Less stress, and faster learning is a huge plus.

Lessons can help virtually anyone at any ability level. It's unfortunate that there seems to be a stigma about taking them and that they cost so much.

Edd

I am Sagittarius and she is Pisces. It's not an easy one.

Nothing to do with the fun ski vacaction but we might be taking a little break. There's a lot of history and it gets intense. Plus she wants to trip all the time which is cool but not I think the answer to psycotheray between something of a couple.

It's bean about 6 years with this woman, mostly on, sometimes off. But it might be time to do my own thing. As a Pisces she slows me down and depresesses me .... but also we have the most inteinse conenection.

I don't know what to do.

Wow. I love this post for more reasons than I have time to list.

Paul_M

Book the first slot of the day, meet teacher early, and get some runs in before the lift is open to the public. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a powder day. It also helps to get familiar w the instructors so you get someone you have confidence in.

Book the first slot of the day, meet teacher early, and get some runs in before the lift is open to the public. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a powder day. It also helps to get familiar w the instructors so you get someone you have confidence in.

Killington discounts the 8am private lesson, too. But those things are expensive.
http://www.killington.com/winter/lessons/private

Best deal I found were the specialty programs.
http://www.killington.com/winter/lessons/specialty_programs
They include the price of a lift ticket and are a tremendous value. I did the race weekend with them and thought it was great.

jrmagic

I can;t beleive this thread is still going! Ahh she don't need no lesson. let her drop a tab and then take her straight to the top of Outer Limits and have her point them straight down the hill:idea: That should clear out all the fuziness abuot the future of the two of you:daffy:

Cheese

So... how's the relationship going??

images