• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2012-01-29 -- Taking the girl I love skiing for her first time

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Aww ... Glad to see this all come to a happy conclusion. Dude - we totally need to get all yer date reports. Even better let us know where you'll be and we'll follow you around and give pointers!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I haven't been here all that long but this is by far my favorite thread so far...LMAO reading all the different opinions and agree with many...Tuna, love the spirit and wanting to get the love of your life skiing...I really do...and I know that your heart was in the right place...I just think it's hilarious that she takes the sled down to finish the day...my wife would have killed me! To each his own...

I agree! And, it sounds like my wife and yours would get along very well!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
best part will be Sunday AM. Let her sleep in and you get a ticket to ski the mountain before it opens. you lap the super quad lift for an hour, cruising real fast on the fresh groomed trails. i think nick said he hit 64 MPH last year, on old skis without wax.

Yup 8) I think it was Hayburner, but it may have been skidder

Bene288

His girl could have not hinted that her legs were shot until they got off the lift. My girlfriend has done that before. I taught her with out any problem, she's never taken a formal lesson. I've never taken any lessons myself but I think I did a pretty good job. Took her maybe 13 days to get to skiing blacks, and not just making it down. She thoroughly enjoys difficult trails. The only thing she doesn't do is glades and seeded moguls, which is fine. Every person is different, my girlfriend would be completely uncomfortable in a ski school, or with an instructor she doesn't know. She gets very embarrassed if she screws anything up in front of strangers and I think that experience would have ruined skiing for her. However, I attribute her quick grasp on alpine skiing with being a very good hockey player. Skiing and ice skating use very similar form and technique. I don't think Tuna was wrong in not giving his girl lessons. The sled ride down the hill..I don't think he pushed her into the chair. She may have been willing on the ride up but when she stood up off the lift, decided her legs were too shot. Some of the people here are making him out to be the devil because they think he pressured her into skiing one last run. I don't think that's the case. I see parents pressuring their kids to do harder trails all of the time, when clearly the child doesn't want to. I've seen a lot of those same kids get seriously hurt, or seriously hurt other people because they don't belong on that trail. Tuna and his girl did the safest thing by utilizing the ski patrol sled service on the mountain.

oakapple

Some of the people here are making him out to be the devil because they think he pressured her into skiing one last run.
Oh, he's not the devil; he was obviously well intended, and his girlfriend apparently hasn't dumped him, so he didn't screw up that badly.

But it's kind of funny that a presumably expert skier made the wrong decision, every single time there was a decision to be made, and his stated rationale for putting her in longer skis was laughably bad. As another poster noted, that decision alone made her day automatically worse, for literally no reason.

Bene288

Oh, he's not the devil; he was obviously well intended, and his girlfriend apparently hasn't dumped him, so he didn't screw up that badly.

But it's kind of funny that a presumably expert skier made the wrong decision, every single time there was a decision to be made, and his stated rationale for putting her in longer skis was laughably bad. As another poster noted, that decision alone made her day automatically worse, for literally no reason.

Yeah I would have listened to the shop and gone with shorter skis. I pushed my girlfriend into BUYING longer skis, when she rented she always got her way.

neil

She looks more like a snowboarder to me. She should try that next time.

BLESS

you guys are being way too hard on this kid. OH BOO HOO he took his girl to the top of the mountain and went down a green circle!!!!!!! WHAT A DOOOSH!!!!!! The only thing he really screwed up on was ski length, shoulda listened to them there. Shes gonna be SCARRED for life?!?!?!? are you serious? Hey kid, (or any other guy on here) NEWSFLASH: if your girl is the type of girl who will "dump" you or be "scarred for life" because you pushed her a lil bit to try something new and she wussed out and "couldnt get down"...then you didnt want to be with her anyway ;) get rid of her now and save yourself a lifetime of misery.

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people. Does making fun of this kid somehow make you feel better about yourselves? He made a mistake, he admitted it.....lets move on. PS, I dont know this kid at all.

Bene288

you guys are being way too hard on this kid. OH BOO HOO he took his girl to the top of the mountain and went down a green circle!!!!!!! WHAT A DOOOSH!!!!!! The only thing he really screwed up on was ski length, shoulda listened to them there. Shes gonna be SCARRED for life?!?!?!? are you serious? Hey kid, (or any other guy on here) NEWSFLASH: if your girl is the type of girl who will "dump" you or be "scarred for life" because you pushed her a lil bit to try something new and she wussed out and "couldnt get down"...then you didnt want to be with her anyway ;) get rid of her now and save yourself a lifetime of misery.

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people. Does making fun of this kid somehow make you feel better about yourselves? He made a mistake, he admitted it.....lets move on. PS, I dont know this kid at all.

I agree with you. I don't think he did anything that bad. Messed up on getting longer skis, but she managed all day with them until the last run. I see nothing wrong in taking a sled down the hill. Safer to do that then actually push her to get down and end up hurting herself or someone else.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people.

It doesn't sound to me like you've given many lessons on you short life.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Just curious... do you have a significant other or are you single ... lol this post started some debate in my house haha

BenedictGomez

WHO THE F&CK takes lessons? I dont mean to be an asshole, but if you have any clue how to ski or any athletic ability at all, you should be able to teach a person the basics of a snow plow and turning side to side, pointing your tips at the edges of a trail, going from one side to another to get down in once piece. If you start to feel uncomfortable or are building too much speed, sit on your butt. or snow plow to stop. This isnt rocket science we're talking about here people.

First, I would recommend EVERY beginner time skier take a proper lesson. For the first time, I'd recommend a group lesson, as it instills the thought that "everyone is having the same issues as me", and they get through those first fish-out-of-water moments on the hill together in a fun and safe learning environment.

Secondly, even an expert skier who has never given lessons isnt very adept at teaching skiing. There's a wee-bit more to it than "snow plow" and "turn side to side" and "Oh you're going too fast? Just fall", like you said. Yeah....no.

Third, you've never taken a 1st-time on skis girlfriend skiing, I know this from your post! lol

BLESS

People who want to learn how to ski properly, and not from their SO.

I guess I hear ya.....but I dunno, I would rather teach my wife than a stranger. She would prefer it that way also....not to mention, its free. Personally I have never taken any.....would consider myself an advanced intermediate......I think I would benefit more now from a lesson than I would when I was first starting out. Am I way off in thinking that getting down the greens, blues and blacks were really the easy part of skiing? Its the woods & moguls that really pose a challenge? Thats why I think I would benefit more from a lesson of that kind now, rather than a "this is a snow plow" lesson when I was first starting out...

Last edited:

BLESS

First, I would recommend EVERY beginner time skier take a proper lesson. For the first time, I'd recommend a group lesson, as it instills the thought that "everyone is having the same issues as me", and they get through those first fish-out-of-water moments on the hill together in a fun and safe learning environment.

Secondly, even an expert skier who has never given lessons isnt very adept at teaching skiing. There's a wee-bit more to it than "snow plow" and "turn side to side" and "Oh you're going too fast? Just fall", like you said. Yeah....no.

Third, you've never taken a 1st-time on skis girlfriend skiing, I know this from your post! lol

actually, Like Ive said a couple times already, I taught my GF ( now wife) how to ski....and she does just fine. If you saw her, or myself ski you wouldnt say "oh I bet they never took lessons". Im confused. I grew up an athlete....I never needed any lessons. Why is this if its "so important" to take them as everyone is implying? Seruious question......not asking it do be a dick. As far as the terms I used....sorry if they arent in the ski instructor text book. They may not be correct, but you know what I meant.....And isnt it really that simple? turn from one side to the other, learn the snow plow....practice accordingly. Im talking about doing all this on the bunny slopes & greens people.....not corbetts. Once you gain confidence, try different angles & slopes....and where I sit....falling on your butt certainly beats running right off the trail into a tree if you panic or arent confident on stopping.

SIDENOTE: when it came to skiing, me, my friends ^& my wife always kinda just "got it" I guess.... Upon further review.....I guess this isnt the case with everyone. Sorry for the ignorant frame of mind. I am not saying these things to come off as an arrogant assh*le. If you feel lessons will benefit you or your family, by all means go get them. Happy skiing.

Last edited: