• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow or Super Bowl?

2knees

Is that what Rothleisberger is saying these days?? ;)

Then again the Steelers getting Tebowed allowed Ben to go to Honolulu this week to play in the game that most pros would rather not be allowed to play in if their teams will still alive in the playoffs. I suppose if one has to play in a meaningless game, that Honolulu isn't a bad place to do so!

Cant blame Ben for that disaster. And in hindsight, it was easier to stomach that loss then to have won that game and lost to the patriots, which they would've considering the injuries sustained during the bronco game.

but i'm hijacking here. Both for me, ski sunday and watching game in NH. took monday off so no worries about having to get up at 5:00 am to make it back for work.

2knees

I'm just hoping Gronk's ankle doesn't suck as bad as Ben's did

Again, i think the blame for that loss falls squarely on the defense, not Ben. He was hindered but they put up 23 points which should've have been waaaaaay more then necessary to win the game.

but yeah, if gronk's ankle is in the same shape as bens' then he'll be a decoy and little else.

SIKSKIER

Damn,never knew I was posting among so many enemies.And can the media please stop talking about Peyton.NFL Live had the first 35 minutes of the show last night about him.Last I saw he's not playing.
Here's how I see it.
Brady..4 rings Mannings...2

BenedictGomez

Pats, Giants. they both suck.

Pretty much. I cant think of a Superbowl with 2 more subpar Superbowl teams. I think between the both of them they had a grand total of 3 wins over playoff teams.

Again, i think the blame for that loss falls squarely on the defense, not Ben.

I blame the loss squarely on Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator.

Because no matter how many times Tebow burned them long (3 in the 1st half alone), they still stubbornly stuck to their "all-in" run defense scheme, assuming that "Tebow cant go deep" strategy. And featuring NO safeties back in Overtime was completely moronic.

2knees

Agree lebeau stuck with 8, 9 and even 10 in the box too long but in overtime Mundy was supposed to show blitz and then drop deep. For whatever reason he came in waaaay too far and got burned. At least that's what I've read in the pitt. Post gazette

UVSHTSTRM

Northern New England phenomenon only. Non-existent for those who grew up near Boston.

If I fell in the age bracket when the Pats didn't exist, there isn't a chance in hell I'd root for the Giants. No self respecting Red Sox fan can root for ANY team from NY. To root for the Giants is to align yourself with Yankee fans. The mere thought of which makes me feel like I need to take a shower. :razz:

Not true, plenty of Giants fans in and around Boston......not just transplants, but lifers.

UVSHTSTRM

There may be Giants fans in New England....but NO "New Englanders" are Giants fans.

My Grandfather, best friend, his dad, and several others I grew up with are born and bred New Englanders and are Giants fans since birth. Needless to say they are dead to me this weekend.

justjen

Took Monday off so I could ski Sunday and Monday. Watching SB at Sugarbush (if anyone can recommend a good bar for football, please do). All the Giants fans will be leaving by half-time, so I'm not worried about crowds.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not true, plenty of Giants fans in and around Boston......not just transplants, but lifers.

define "plenty"

If more than 1% of the metro Boston population are Giants fans, I'd be shocked. As mentioned earlier. I grew up 30 miles west of Boston. Most all of my family still lives within the 495 belt and have for generations. I have returned as an adult and worked in the city for 3 years and have been working on the Northshore for the past 6 months. I NEVER run into Giants fans in Boston or the suburbs. Extremely rare occurrence.

Now when I lived in Vermont and in Maine, I ran into Giants fans fairly frequently. Many were NY transplants (especially VT) and the others have been raised Giants fans because as you described earlier in the thread, they have older Giants fan family members that predate the Patriots organization. Even at that, I'd be shocked if more than 10% of the population in those areas are Giants fans over Patriots fans.

In general, the entire rivalry perspective is a lot different for Bostonian sports fans vs NYC as compared with the Northern New England fans of the Boston Teams. Why? I believe it has to do with Northern New Englander's disliking Massholes almost as much as they do New Yorkers. :lol:

Last edited:

snoseek

I'm really thinking it will be dead sunday as maybe the bay area people will skip sunday as the game is on mid afternoon here. I wish san fran had made it!

Honestly I just don't understand worshipping any sort of team sport. Sure what they do is impressive but I am way too self centered to alter my plans for this kind of shit. I will be skiing till 4, then maybe cruise into Harrahs for the drink specials/party. I am more concerned with the happy hour....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I
Honestly I just don't understand worshipping any sort of team sport....

I think a lot of it has to do with youth participation in sports and family memories from those experiences. At least that's the case for me. My father and his brothers grew up playing basketball and baseball worshiping Bill Russell and Ted Williams. My older brother grew up playing basketball and baseball worshiping Dave Cowens and Yaz. I played the same sports worshiping Larry Bird and Jim Rice.

We all loved football too as it was something to watch in the fall as the Red Sox didn't contend outside of 86 :lol: and the basketball season hadn't gotten started yet. I eventually went on to play football throughout High School. I never played organized hockey, but had skates and would play pond hockey with kids in the neighborhood and loved Neely and Bourque.

When me and my brother weren't playing sports, we were watching the local teams on TV with our dad and uncles. Great memories. Big family BBQs every week before we watched the games.

I did quit basketball and baseball after the 6th grade though. I fell in love with skiing over any other athletic pursuit and didn't want to miss a day on the slopes ever again to play basketball in the winter. We routinely skied Killington into May when I was a kid, which conflicted with the local youth baseball, so baseball was out for me as well. Though I no longer played those sports, I still watched them religiously with my dad.

So, because of my upbringing I'm a HUGE Boston sports fan. It's likely that when my wife and I have kids, they will be too. Well, they'll be introduced to it just as I was as a kid.

Edd

Honestly I just don't understand worshipping any sort of team sport. Sure what they do is impressive but I am way too self centered to alter my plans for this kind of shit. I will be skiing till 4, then maybe cruise into Harrahs for the drink specials/party. I am more concerned with the happy hour....

I'm kind of the same as I don't watch sports, which makes me a bit of a weirdo. I can hang out at someone's place and watch a full game and stay interested but it leaves my head as soon as the game's over. I just don't care. I vote snow, no contest.

buellski

Skiing a full day Saturday and Sunday then heading home to watch the game. It's nice living 25 minutes from the hill :p

A bunch of the kids in my son's elementary school are Giants fans, but my son's already a die hard Pats fan :cool:

4aprice

So, because of my upbringing I'm a HUGE Boston sports fan. It's likely that when my wife and I have kids, they will be too. Well, they'll be introduced to it just as I was as a kid.

Even though I come from the other side (NY area) I think this is great and I salute you. To me, even though I enjoy sports its much better and more interesting when it involves teams from Boston, New York, and (for me at least) Philadelphia. Regional rivalries are the best.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ