• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 12/29

xlr8r

Burke, Sunday 1/29 messed up the date on the title
Sorry for the delay, I've had a cold ever since I got home from skiing on Sunday.

First time to Burke. With the awesome new quad, I made sure to get there this season. First impressions, very nice mountain, similar layout to Pico with the 2 high speed quads, skis like a big version on Berkshire East and Ragged. Great attitude to the place.

2" of fresh snow made for nice groomers first thing in the morning. As the groomers got skied off, the ropes started to drop on the natural trails. Some were still too icy, or had a thick layer of rust from Fridays storm. But there were some good natural runs to be found.

The beginner area is great with its own high speed quad. I found the various versions of jester to be lots of fun (narrow terrain park paths through the woods, see picture). They ran a speed trap race on the main race trail next to the poma which was interesting to watch from the quad. Speaking of the poma, it sure is steep for a surface lift. Not many left like that one.

Last edited:

xwhaler

Nice report. I'm looking fwd to my 1st ever trip to Burke for the 2nd wknd in March.
Interesting that you compare it to Pico. While I like Pico I feel that it gets pretty flay below where the summit quad loads. Certainly the Outpost area and A Slope are fun and you can ski some nice pitch there but the main mtn is really only steep up top.

Though perhaps you were comparing it to a similiar sized (2k vert) with 2 HSQ's and not so much for the terrain.

Cheese

Thanks for the report! I haven't been this year but look forward to returning once we get a good dump. I heard maybe next week or maybe it was the following week?

Yours truly,

Optimist

xlr8r

There were no lines for Mid-Burke Express, It was tough finding other people to ride up with for once in a while. Oddly Sherburne Express did have a small line but probably was only 2 or 3 min long all day. I don't know if I will be able to make it back to Burke this year with all the unused tickets to other mtns I still have, but I will return in years to come. Ranks up there with Pico for great uncrowded skiing.

Ice Queen

Has anyone been up to Burke more recently? Thinking about a trip this weekend.

wa-loaf

I'll be there this weekend 18th-21st. Would love a report too!

Zand

Heading up there now. Will post a report for once when I get back. Everything's open except Dixiland, Rerun, Jungle, Birches, and Little Chief. Glades aren't pretty but the coverage isn't terrible, just icy.