• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This season sucks

2knees

Putting the MTB rack back back on tomorrow...Looks like nice riding weather next week..Did it early a few years ago and we got 14 inches of pow pow

Steveo

I think we need to sacrifice some beers in the name of Ullr. Been too long bro.

Warp Daddy

I'll continue to use my "freebies " unlimited at 2 smaller areas which i usually hit when the queen is shopping or when i feel the need hit one of the reciprocal s and in addition have 5 vouchers i won a couple weeks ago in a local winter photo contest .

After that i'm selective

clifton

251px-House_Stark.PNG

Glenn

Agreed...woods haven't been that great...bumps either. But we've gone just about every weekend and have 14 days in so far. Some days were cruddy, but most were good. The passes have paid for themselves (and then some) so it's all gravey from here.

BenedictGomez

its really hard to get motivated to drive up north to ski boilerplate crap. This is an expensive sport. I'm not dropping $100 for gas and lift ticket for crap..

I have to agree with the above, and I'm selfishly hoping that when (not if) this season does change and it starts snowing, that many people from Boston on southward have it in their minds that "this season sucks", thus leaving the slopes relatively empty on weekends. I'm also thinking it might be easy to pick up cheap vouchers come March from all the people who stocked up on them and cant use them all.

If I didn't have my Camelback pass I'd probably be in single digits this year.

I snapped on Monday night and needed to get a ski fix in and went to Camelback. Absolutely empty. Is it always like that midweek evening, or is it the lack of snow mindset being discussed? At any rate, it was worth it for the gf (advanced beginner) just to get some time on the snow.

I've done more than my fair share. I went to FL over X-Mas and New Years and I haven't put my snow tires on all year.

The next step would be for me to break my leg, and I'm not about to go that far for you knuckleheads.

Ditto on the above. Usually the northeast gets POUNDED with a blizzard when I go to Florida for my annual Christmas/New Years trip, and even that didnt work this season.

4aprice

I snapped on Monday night and needed to get a ski fix in and went to Camelback. Absolutely empty. Is it always like that midweek evening, or is it the lack of snow mindset being discussed? At any rate, it was worth it for the gf (advanced beginner) just to get some time on the snow.

Usually weeknights are pretty empty. Wed they have a race league but that is pretty much limited to Pocono Raceway (maybe Stevenson quad). Thursday and Friday nights have school groups till Presidents Day. Weekday mornings are another good time to go and Weekends from Pres Day on will not be too bad either. Hope you had a good time. They have done a good job with gettting the place open and with the next cold period have told me they will put in the bumps on Lower Cleo and either Asp or Rocket which make it even better. Getting a ski fix is what that place is all about. Leaving in a hour to go get myself one.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong,NJ

BenedictGomez

They have done a good job with gettting the place open and with the next cold period have told me they will put in the bumps on Lower Cleo and either Asp or Rocket which make it even better. Getting a ski fix is what that place is all about. Leaving in a hour to go get myself one.

It was about what I was expecting, perhaps a touch better. The beginner trails were actually the best, and in nice shape, but the intermediates were pretty icy, and the diamonds were unskiable ice.

I knew it would be bad when I noticed that the high school and college Camelback regulars weren't bothering with any of the blacks. I decided to try "Hump" anyway, which was a mistake, lol, a zero snow-holding, absolutely bulletproof, somewhat steep trail. I like to think positively though, so I got to practice some javelin turns :wink:

The gf liked CBack and had a ton of fun though, which is all that matters. She gets a bit better with each time out, so I'm thinking we may do more nights at Cback and/or Shawnee if the weather permits = good practice for her.

Zand

Plenty of snow up here... snowing as I speak. You people need to not stop in southern VT and keep going up 91 to get the good stuff. Burke is only 20 minutes further than Killington from the VT/MA border, so don't act like it's too far.

steamboat1

Everything was in play at Sugarbush Tues, yes even the woods. I don't know how it held up after the rain yesterday & subsequent freeze today but the base is there.

playoutside

Forget the bikes, golf clubs, patio furniture...what we all need to do is go out to our cars and take the window scraper/brushs out of the car, bring 'em in the house, throw them out, whatever. It will bring snow!!

I also think when you head to ski country you should leave winter shoes/boots at home. Wear flip-flops, clogs, anything to tempt mother nature into bringing the snow.

BenedictGomez

And here's the MOST negative report I've seen yet this "winter".

I think all of this talk of "Fab Feb" or "February to Remember!" is either a delusion or a sad attempt to get extra web traffic. I allow for the yet unseen possibility of a game-changing snowstorm that changes the complexion of this winter. But based on what has happened so far this winter and the patterns likely to take shape over the next 7-10 days, I wouldn't even wager someone else's money on that.

http://www.adirondackweathersite.com/

Anklebiter

Putting the MTB rack back back on tomorrow...Looks like nice riding weather next week..Did it early a few years ago and we got 14 inches of pow pow

Steveo

I've actually mountain biked more than I've skied this winter. In fact, my son and I are skiing Saturday at Camelback. Then meeting my buddy and his kids on Sunday to do some mountain biking, before the Super Bowl.

goldsbar

Is this season that unusual for the Northeast? I've been skiing for 3 decades on and off. Mostly the Catskills some scattered weekends in VT (excluding going out West). I seem to recall lots of winters with very bare trails and almost no days in the woods. At least we have good groomers as grooming has gotten much better. I've skied some decent bumps at Belleayre this year. Can't complain to much.