• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question about Magic (or others) closing for the season

SteveInCT

I am curious about Magic in particular but this could be applicable to other places as well.

I was looking at the ski reports last weekend and noticed Magic had only 4 trails (or something like that) open. The base depth was fairly small as well. I was looking at snowforecast.com and the future outlook mentioned a warming trend in the long range forecast. My question is this: Are the smaller, less funded mountains like Magic going to continue to blow snow to get through February with hopes we will hit on something in March? If not, if the trail count gets to zero, will they close for the season or would they reopen if we get an early March dump? As mentioned earlier, I am really interested in knowing what Magic would do, but if anyone has info specific to another mountain, it could be helpful to all of us too.

Hawkshot99

could greatly depend on the workforce. If the places close because there isnt the snow, then the workers will leave because they need to have money to survive. If natural snow does come, and there is noboby to work the mtn you would see them stay closed or try to run it on extreme skeleton staffing. Getting the workers to come back from another job would be next to impossible, since they know they will just be let go very soon as the season comes to a end.

The vast majority of employees at a resort are seasonal, and especially the ones needed to physically run a resort. There just isnt the job base in the off season to employ the people.

jrmagic

They were blowing snow this weekend. Its hard to say exactly what they would do but I doubt they will blow snow all through the month. I'd say Magic (and all the smaller areas and probably most of the bigger ones too) is looking to cash in for February break as much as possible to help draw closer to breaking even. From a fiscal perspective, the return on investment blowing snow late February for March turns is pretty low. At this point terrain expansion via snowmaking islikely not going to happen. I know they wanted a viable option down the west side and an easy way down so they blew a lot of snow on Talisman and Upper Wizard to the west and Magic Carpet and Wand to the east but I suspect that will be it other than spot blowing to fix/resurface small areas. The base depth on Wizard, Talisman, Trick Showoff, Wand and Hocus Pocus is pretty good and it would take a lot to knock those trails off line. Many of the other trails can come online quickly if we get some natural as there is a firm base waiting for Ullr to unload on them.

SteveInCT

Understand the question but I really don't like this thread...

I didn't like writing it either. I bought a lot of passes at the beginning of the year and have been waiting to use quite a few since it really wasn't worth it (to me) to drive from CT to VT to ski a low trail count when I can ski a more local mountain or head to a larger resort with more trails. The whole time I figured "Oh it will happen later in January", turning to "When February starts", followed by "Maybe next week" and then on to "Holy crap, we are getting awfully close to make it or break it time".

I understand many of the generalities of seasonal employees, etc, but I have to assume some of these mountains have the contingency plan in place by now. They should know how long they will continue to run the guns. They should know how long they will wait after a 0 trail count before they call it for the year based on the employees, cash flow, etc. I am hoping someone out there has an inside track at a few of the mountains and can give us a little heads up.

SteveInCT

Thank you JrMagic! Great info! I am glad to hear those trails are deep enough to survive a slight warmup.

makimono

I don't know if this directly relates to the OP question, but a story of 2 hills that I regularly ski from last season:

April 10th, 2011

Wachusett still has damn near 100% edge to edge coverage but they closed for the season last weekend.

Magic trucks snow from the banks in the parking lot to the base of the red chair so skiers can get in one last day on the mountain.

farlep99

There's definitely plenty of snow on the trails they've already made snow on. They'll definitely survive any temporary warm up or shitty r**n event. Agree with JR that snowmaking for the purpose of expansion is likely done. We really need mother nature to bring us something. I'd guess they'll use the guns over the next couple of weeks to touch up thin areas, but after mid-Feb it won't make sense financially to keep snowmaking. That obviously applies to all areas, not just the smaller hills.

On a more positive note, THINK SNOW!! All it would take is 6-8" & we'd be sitting pretty. There is a good base even on the closed trails, so it won't take much. I'll take 4-5" at this point! Even that would open a good chunk of terrain. It won't take much

jrmagic

On a more positive note, THINK SNOW!! All it would take is 6-8" & we'd be sitting pretty. There is a good base even on the closed trails, so it won't take much. I'll take 4-5" at this point! Even that would open a good chunk of terrain. It won't take much

I'll second this. We did some adventure skiing yesterday on some of those trails once it softened a bit in the afternoon.

ScottySkis

I had a great day at local hill couple weeks ago, i think once it snows in south VT then go to Magic.

Hawkshot99

I don't know if this directly relates to the OP question, but a story of 2 hills that I regularly ski from last season:

April 10th, 2011

Wachusett still has damn near 100% edge to edge coverage but they closed for the season last weekend.

Magic trucks snow from the banks in the parking lot to the base of the red chair so skiers can get in one last day on the mountain.

But what was the date at which Magic was moving that snow? I am guessing it was WAY before the 4/10/11 when Wa closed. Mid April there is just not enough skiers to justify being open. Magic closes earlier, so there were still skiers around.

jrmagic

But what was the date at which Magic was moving that snow? I am guessing it was WAY before the 4/10/11 when Wa closed. Mid April there is just not enough skiers to justify being open. Magic closes earlier, so there were still skiers around.

They moved snow on 4/3 and then again on 4/10 to get people back to the lift.

makimono

No totally backwards actually.

WaWa closed on 4/3.

Magic stayed open to 4/10.

I'm sure they didn't make much if any money that one extra weekend, but maybe they made some good will, sold some extra shares or converted some pass holders for next season. My point was that Magic is run by skiers for skiers, what that exactly means for this season however who knows.

xwhaler

Per Whaleback's FB page, they have guns going on their liftline 'signature' trail Face...hoping to have it open next week. Good for them!
I need to stay local next Saturday so will either be at Pats on the RSNE 2fer or Whaleback. If the Whale can get the face open I'll prob head there....thats a good run.

playoutside

I didn't like writing it either. I bought a lot of passes at the beginning of the year and have been waiting to use quite a few since it really wasn't worth it (to me) to drive from CT to VT to ski a low trail count when I can ski a more local mountain or head to a larger resort with more trails. The whole time I figured "Oh it will happen later in January", turning to "When February starts", followed by "Maybe next week" and then on to "Holy crap, we are getting awfully close to make it or break it time".

Just go! Make the best of the conditions you find. Those pre-purchased passes will turn to dust when they close. Use the smaller/less funded areas passes first because if mother nature doesn't send us some snow, they won't have any option but to throw in the towel. Most areas will do what they can to make it through Feb vacation, after that they will make it through race leagues and after school programs. After that it's just a gamble in this sort of season. What I've seen this season has been no lines at all. It is brutal for these areas to keep spending money on snow particularly when no one is skiing!