• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need tuning info

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
Been tuning for a while. See(n) lots of skis w/ wider tips tails that are very edge-high. Recently flattened a pair for a pretty good skier, who liked the results.

He had the skis done a week before at his home mtn shop and, did not like the results. After I tuned his skis he returned to home shop to talk to mgr about his previous less than satisfactory tune. Shop mgr told him his Atomics are edge-high by design. Any truth to this?

I'd just like some tech info.

As long as skier prefers my work......it's not going to change

Thanks .:beer:

snowmonster

Sounds like a manufacturer error. Fat skis aren't supposed to be edge high. I've heard of some models that had a bad finish that required flattening. I can think of one fat ski that suffered from a bad production run that resulted in edge high skis.

The only thing I know about Atomics is that they run a 1:3 bevel on their race skis. That could be what the shop manager was referring to. It's either your friend misheard or the shop manager was talking out of turn. If it's the latter, tell your friend to stop going to that shop.

bigbog

My first wider width skis(Libertys) off the shelf skis' bases were either low, material had settled?, or edges simply high = anyways a railing ski no work...happened on my first day(late afternoon) on my first 90+mm ski. Constantly catching = ended the day...but once back home filed down flat and beveled...won't ever neglect to check again..

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Sounds like a manufacturer error. Fat skis aren't supposed to be edge high. I've heard of some models that had a bad finish that required flattening. I can think of one fat ski that suffered from a bad production run that resulted in edge high skis.

The only thing I know about Atomics is that they run a 1:3 bevel on their race skis. That could be what the shop manager was referring to. It's either your friend misheard or the shop manager was talking out of turn. If it's the latter, tell your friend to stop going to that shop.

+1 Bevel is only diff on Atomics, the rest sounds like a bunch of hokum.

And, just to be clear, that 1 degree base edge bevel would make the edge of the edge a tiny bit higher off the snow, not railed into the snow.

Bandit2941

Actually the bases of a lot of atomics are concave under the shovel. Not necessarily "edge high" where the edge sticks up quite a bit from the base, but if you check it with a true bar there will be a very small gap under the middle of the true bar. You should NOT try to get them completely flat with a stone grind or other technique or you'll be taking a whole lot of base material off unnecessarily.

goldsbar

Actually the bases of a lot of atomics are concave under the shovel. Not necessarily "edge high" where the edge sticks up quite a bit from the base, but if you check it with a true bar there will be a very small gap under the middle of the true bar. You should NOT try to get them completely flat with a stone grind or other technique or you'll be taking a whole lot of base material off unnecessarily.

Exactly. The old Metrons were a classic example of this and those things never had trouble initiating a turn.

There are numerous reasons someone might not like a tune. Could be that the high school kid had a toke too many before doing the tune with worn equipment. Could also be a perfect tune but a not so perfect skier. All reasons to DIY.