• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface hints/tips?

ctenidae

Everybody sit down before reading further.

We're going skiing next weekend. I know it's a shock to most of you, but I'm pretty excited about it. Probably our 1 trip this year, what with a 3 month old to contend with.

We're heading up to Whiteface for the weekend. Never been there, stuff for the non-skiing-baby-watching folks to do in Lake Placid, etc etc.

Seems like lapping Little Whiteface is a pretty good place to spend some time, and the Summit Quad and Lookout Triple might be good for going with my brother who is an intrepid low-intermediate. The gondola will be useful if it's as cold as it was this past weekend.

Any must-hit runs, or places to avoid at all costs?

World Bobsled Championships are next weekend, too, so that might be fun. Anyone know what bobsledders are like? Seems to me they're sort of the drummers of the sports world.

legalskier

Make sure before you go that they haven't closed the upper mountain, which tends to happen at the drop of a hat. http://forums.skiadk.com/
The town of Lake Placid is terrific- restaurants, pubs, shops, spas, the ice rink, snow shoeing, ski jumps (to look at)...even dog sledding on the lake. One of the best ski towns in the East.

BenedictGomez

I was a Whiteface virgin just a few weeks ago myself.

Conditions were ummm..... well ... how should we say... less than ideal. In these "virgin" situations, I think the best tip is to always ask a ski patroler and some locals "what's skiing well".

As for Lake Placid, it's my favorite ski town I've been to in America. It's fantastic. Plenty of wonderful places to eat and tons of non-ski activities. The Olympic museum is pretty cool (IMO), and visiting the MOI rink for me, was like visiting a religious shrine. The self-guided tour of the Olympic ski jump was pretty cool too, and gives you a new appreciation of just how insane those folks are. If you want a non-alpine day, there are numerous wonderful XC and snowshoeing options as well.

tjf67

Hey glad to see you are heading our way.

Check out harvey road. Lots of peeps over there that would be happy to help.

mriceyman

Jimmys 21 if your looking for a good Italian spot. Petes steakhouse for steaks..45 sandwich.es for on the go.. check out the ski jumps and youll realize anybody who does that sport should be institutionalized.. cant comnent onthe snow.. haven't been there since new years... . The gondola definitely helps on colder days..

VTSKICTLAX

Also headed to LP/Whiteface this weekend...have been up there quite a few times in the summer for lacrosse tournaments, never been in the winter. I have heard that their beginner area is excellent and that it is a much better mountain when there is snow in the trees and glades (which mountain isn't). Favorite place to eat is the Great Adirondack Brewing Company right downtown...excellent steak and seafood and excellent beer...if you like that sort of thing....:spin:

Anyone in the know, are there a few mogul runs somewhere and names of trails would be great...skiing with the wife and kids (3 boys ages 7,5 and almost 3) so I need to get right to the good stuff while I am solo in the morning before I swing back to pick them up and ski...

Let it snow...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
If it's open hit the Wilmington trail, not difficult, but nice long intermediate trail with great view. Hit Lake Placid, great little town. And some nice views along the way to stop and check out (streams and stuff)
The ski jumps are worth checking out if you have time to spare, pretty outrageous taking the elevator to the top and looking down the run.
For the kids, well, you have the North Pole and Santa's workshop. :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Willmington Trail is excellent, don't miss it!

The bottom of Whiteface kills me, total boring run out. Take advantage of the Doubles.

Has Little Whiteface been fixed/replaced yet?

Warp Daddy

Jimmy's is a great restaurant ,LP has plenty of diversions for the non skier. make sure to take full advantage of both all the Olympic sites /venues and all the kewl shoppes/restaurants on Main St. Check oit The Harvey Road Blog as otheres have said it full of great feedback on WF and environs

40Berg

If it's open hit the Wilmington trail, not difficult, but nice long intermediate trail with great view.

Wilmington Trail absolutely destroyed me two Saturday's ago and made me reconsider the level at which I ski (I went into it thinking "advanced intermediate" and left thinking "bunny-slopes-only, please").

I skied it last year, and would attest to the "great view" and "not difficult" parts as I had a tremendous time and even tried to convince my (tentative) snowboarding wife to take a run with me. But, as of my last trip, it officially has my number. Not sure if conditions have improved since, but it seemed to consist entirely of that Eastern Boilerplate we've all been hearing so much about. Also, it was filled with sections of less-than-friendly bumps, one of which sent me flying to my back in a way I haven't fallen all season. The 14-year-old girl that retrieved my poles didn't seem to be having as much of a problem as me, however.

After that, I stuck to Little Whiteface and had a great time over there.

gladerider

heading up there friday evening for the long weekend as well.

for moguls, upper and lower mackenzie is normally open. get there by gondi > approach > upper mac. sometimes they close the upper section. in that case, gondi > excelsior > on ramp > lower mac.

if you that was not enuf, you can try lookout below. think they made enuf snow to open this up.

think you can also buy a ticket to tryout the bobsled. have fun.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Wilmington Trail absolutely destroyed me two Saturday's ago and made me reconsider the level at which I ski (I went into it thinking "advanced intermediate" and left thinking "bunny-slopes-only, please").

I skied it last year, and would attest to the "great view" and "not difficult" parts as I had a tremendous time and even tried to convince my (tentative) snowboarding wife to take a run with me. But, as of my last trip, it officially has my number. Not sure if conditions have improved since, but it seemed to consist entirely of that Eastern Boilerplate we've all been hearing so much about. Also, it was filled with sections of less-than-friendly bumps, one of which sent me flying to my back in a way I haven't fallen all season. The 14-year-old girl that retrieved my poles didn't seem to be having as much of a problem as me, however.

After that, I stuck to Little Whiteface and had a great time over there.

So you're saying it was a challenge? :lol:

Like anything else out east, depends on conditions, when in good shape, it's great.

tarponhead

If it's crowded you will be more then happy lapping the Wilderness pod off of the little whiteface lift. And if it is crowded never ski to the bottom. Save the wilmington for that when your (if) your going down at lunch or end of the day.

oh yeah, eat at Lisa G's!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
If it's crowded you will be more then happy lapping the Wilderness pod off of the little whiteface lift. And if it is crowded never ski to the bottom. Save the wilmington for that when your (if) your going down at lunch or end of the day.

oh yeah, eat at Lisa G's!

In Lake Placid I like: Milano North, Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood Company, Stefano's Italian. Never tried Lisa G's but heard good things about it.

ctenidae

Nice tips- wish we could stay more than just the weekend. I'll have to check out the Harvey Road thing.

BenedictGomez

I have heard that their beginner area is excellent

When I was there a few weeks ago, the gf loved the beginner area. It was absolutely empty, even on the busy Saturday, and the snow was fantastic (which was odd because it was icy just about everywhere else).

freeskier423

Skiing is really good at the face right now. they have 70 trails open. the only things not open are the snowfields, glades and the sildes. everything else is really nice.

ctenidae

Skiing is really good at the face right now. they have 70 trails open. the only things not open are the snowfields, glades and the sildes. everything else is really nice.

That's teh report I'm getting too- guy who owns the house we're renting said they have a foot of snow in the yard and conditions are pretty good. And it's snowing now.

Very happy to be going.

Warp Daddy

Placid is such a great town with lots to do and magnificent scenery in the region that u'll have fun there even if the skiing is marginal . Enjoy !