• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

who's still making snow?

SIKSKIER

Right from the snowmakers mouth

Cannon will continue making snow through this week and most likely will shut it down by next week.Actually pretty amazing is that they now have all trails on Cannon open except most of the glades.The unexpected and what seems to be only snowfall anywhere Friday night turned out a whopping 4-5 inches for real nice Saturady conditions.

dangah

A couple snowmaking shots from Skyelark at Killington today...

fullsize

fullsize

skiur

From the Killington daily report:

"Killington's snowmakers were thinking that Sunday should start with some freshly surfaced trails, and we couldn't help but agree. They plan to head to Cruise Control and Skyelark, and Outer Limits is scheduled to be under the guns during the day on Sunday. So for skiers and riders who like moguls and snow guns, OL is waiting for you."

no guns going on OL sunday but they were going on lower skyelark, not sure what was going today.

MarkC

I would think that most resorts will at least suspend terrain expansion if not all snowmaking operations after this week. Time to cut the losses on a bad year.

Vortex

Sunday River resurfaced a bunch on Barker Sunday night and I saw new guns out on Quantum Leap. I think they are still in expansion mode too. edit Sunday Punch, Tourist trap and risky business got snow last night.

Last edited:

Telemechanic

At Loon Snowmaking Team 6 did another night of special ops on Bearclaw Extension, Exodus, Brookway, Upper Walking Boss, Angel St and lower Big Dipper. They've been slipping in after dark and cleaned up by dawn. Only whales and the occasional dropped hose are left by morning.

SKIQUATTRO

pico had a few guns going (4......why werent they going for the past month??)

I think it was for a touch of resurfacing but mostly for marketing...."hey look, we're blowing snow"

they could have done so much more

catskillman

I guess Belleayre snowmakers are showing up for work!

I also guess that their days of making snow in April are over. They should be at least for us taxpayers.

MarkC

I guess Belleayre snowmakers are showing up for work!

I also guess that their days of making snow in April are over. They should be at least for us taxpayers.

Rumor has it that they are way over their snowmaking budget for the year.

puckoach

Admittedly a difficult year for the mountains. Especially hard hit are the "tip" based workers in the ski area towns.

I'm hoping that there is still snow for St Pat's week and a little beyond. Only one day off for me until March 12th.

BTW, litfies told me that Blue Hills was told no more water by the town. Over $400,000 in water used this season. Don't know if that was appealed, but no way to blow in current weather. 52-57 degrees this afternoon, plus sun.....

JimmyPete

Making Snow

the last time they blew was last Thursday and there were a few cold nights over the weekend.Don't know why no blowing. Would love to see them blow alittle if they can. Weather looks poor for snowmaking but if Hunter would step up when they can they'd win many friends.