• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anybody know what happened at Belleayre today?

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Maintenance guys all called in "sick". Two lift guys from Windham came to Belle to get things turning. Lifts opened late. Lower mountain got going at about 9:30, Lift 7 opened at 10:30. Tomahawk opened about 11:00. Superchief opened about noon.

Belleayre decided to charge only $25 for lift tickets.

After the slow start there were no lines and the conditions were outstanding.

k123

Maintenance guys all called in "sick". Two lift guys from Windham came to Belle to get things turning. Lifts opened late. Lower mountain got going at about 9:30, Lift 7 opened at 10:30. Tomahawk opened about 11:00. Superchief opened about noon.

Do you think all the lifts will be fully operational tomorrow? Sort of off topic, but how were the bumps on Onteora?

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Do you think all the lifts will be fully operational tomorrow? Sort of off topic, but how were the bumps on Onteora?

The available info on Facebook is saying they will be in full operation tomorrow.

The bumps were wonderful. Tons o' snow, and no trace of ice. Fun? O YEAH!

k123

The available info on Facebook is saying they will be in full operation tomorrow.

The bumps were wonderful. Tons o' snow, and no trace of ice. Fun? O YEAH!

Sweet! I can't wait for tomorrow!

goldsbar

Great idea. Crowds are down like 50% so put the final nail into the coffin of your employer. Surprised it was empty. Hunter was not crowded for a holiday but still really crowded compared to how Belleayre has been. I've been spoiled by the empty trails at Belleayre- first few runs at Hunter were empty and high speed non-stop top to bottom but more crowded afterwards. One thing I noticed (again) was that I got a few random "have a good day" and a smile from some of the lifties. Belleayre, never. I like the mountain a lot but feel like it's in a downward spiral. Blame the state and crappy snow year but it seems like it's something more than that.

MarkC

These are the same employees that everybody is complaining about getting their wages cut. This is a absolute joke. Every single one of them should be fired including management for letting this happen. I would be embarrassed to claim that I am a Belleayre skier. Cut the BS politics and run a real ski area. I think the state should lease the mountain to a third party operator so it can finally turn a profit.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
These are the same employees that everybody is complaining about getting their wages cut. This is a absolute joke. Every single one of them should be fired including management for letting this happen. I would be embarrassed to claim that I am a Belleayre skier. Cut the BS politics and run a real ski area. I think the state should lease the mountain to a third party operator so it can finally turn a profit.

State constitution change! While I dont care for ORDA, it would be better than the DEC at this point!

Hawkshot99

How would you feel if you had a decent paying job with nice benefits, and they were all taken away for crappy pay and a seasonal job. But you are still expected to put in the same amount of work? With the down year I am sure they are being asked to way more than last year even to "help out in rough times". I am sure you would be ecstatic.

I dont know how I would feel about a strike, but it sure gets a point across to management and the state.

Bene288

Everyone who takes their work seriously deserves to be treated with respect and consideration. I can understand why they did what they did. One's livelihood is nothing to tamper with.

I'm looking forward to a good day at Belleayre tomorrow, sounds like conditions are going to be great.

Bene288

Everyone who takes their work seriously deserves to be treated with respect and consideration. I can understand why they did what they did. One's livelihood is nothing to tamper with.

I'm looking forward to a good day at Belleayre tomorrow, sounds like conditions are going to be great.

BenedictGomez

This is what happens with unions. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't even "allowed" to fire the smarmy little brats that did this.

Unemployment is over 10% in this country right now, so I hope these %+?!heads lose their jobs, but my guess is they'll be fine. Lol

MarkC

How would you feel if you had a decent paying job with nice benefits, and they were all taken away for crappy pay and a seasonal job. But you are still expected to put in the same amount of work? With the down year I am sure they are being asked to way more than last year even to "help out in rough times". I am sure you would be ecstatic.

I dont know how I would feel about a strike, but it sure gets a point across to management and the state.

Welcome to the ski industry. Name another mountain that key people can call in sick on a holiday weekend, delay opening and keep their jobs.

Brewbeer

It might be interesting to know what they were getting paid, relative to other ski areas nearby. I wonder if they were union members and had that sense of entitlement. What they did was sabotage to their employer. This had a direct impact on their operation and cost their employer money.

Whenever I do something that costs my employer money, I am not thinking how much of a raise will he give me out of this, I am thinking what can I do to make this up and hopefully keep my job.

+1.

If you can't help to keep your employer in the back, you won't have a job for much longer.

o3jeff

But yet the guy had no problem collecting a year round check all these years at a ski area where most jobs are seasonal and probably getting paid more WITH benefits than the same job at private ski areas. Now that it caught up with them and they are now seasonal and getting paid what the pay scale for that job is they are mad? Time to wake up, if they don't like it find another job if they are so valuable.

legalskier

Here's a news account excerpt regarding yesterday's situation. Hopefully it will address the speculation/opinions that have been posted:

“Sick” workers at Belleayre cause skiing to be delayed during busy holiday weekend
By Pauline Liu
The administration at Belleayre Mountain Ski Center is assuring would-be skiers and snowboarders that it will be completely operational for the rest of the Presidents’ Day weekend. The state-run ski center is making that guarantee, after several lift mechanics called in sick on Saturday morning in what may have been job action or more specifically, a “sick out.” Without certified lift mechanics to start up the lifts, skiing and shredding on the upper mountain were delayed until help arrived. *** Another member of BRAG, Joe Kelly, was at Belleayre during the delay. “It’s a sad day for this region,” said Kelly, who is also the chairman of the Coalition to Save Belleayre. He and other members of BRAG have been calling on state officials to continue to provide living wages for Belleayre workers, after operation of the mountain is transferred from the State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to the New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) in the coming months....Many Belleayre workers have expressed concern that they could lose their benefits and be reduced to seasonal workers, once ORDA takes over. So far, no official takeover date has been set. Kelly explained, that’s part of the problem. “Communication is key, especially in this time of transition, but no one knows anything and I think it’s DEC’s fault,” said Kelly. “Communication could go a long way in helping this situation, but no one from DEC has come to talk with the employees or the community,” he added.... The News’ calls and emails to numerous DEC staffers went unanswered this holiday weekend. There was no response on how DEC will address the possible “sick out.” As state workers, Belleayre workers are prohibited from striking under the Taylor Law. ***

Full story in the Catskill Mountain News: http://catskillmountainnews.com/con...skiing-be-delayed-during-busy-holiday-weekend

Things were smooth today. It snowed @ 3" last night. Conditions were sweet.

BenedictGomez

When asked if the five absent employees would face any legal reprisals, Lanza said that when employees call in sick, they are allowed to take a day off.

Looks like my assumption may prove to be correct.

catskills

I don't think you folks get it. The Belleayre employees may not have enough to live on and support their families with new salaries and benefits from ORDA.

Belleayre currently pays some health insurance + salary in the range of $30,000/year or $2500 a month range to cover rent/mortgage, heat, electric, car payment, car insurance, car repairs, gas, and FOOD, and those are just the basics. The fear is ORDA will probably pay less, make them seasonal employees, and provide no health insurance. When you are a parent of young children you know you need health insurance.

If ORDA pays less, then these highly skilled employees may be eligible for food stamps. Their children would probably qualify for free lunch at school. Great ORDA shows a profit but at what cost to the tax payers.

Now remember lift maintenance is a highly skilled job and is THE most important job at any ski area. When you are sitting on a stopped chair lift in zero degree temps with wind, the sooner lift maintenance gets the lift running the............ You fill in the blank. BTW lift maintenance is required to climb towers and crawl out on those towers to fix the wheels the cable sits on in the middle of the night when its 10 below zero.

Daily Freeman Belleayre Mountain Ski Center temporarily shuts down due to apparent staff shortage

skiur

its scary how quickly workers rights are being stripped away in this country. Corporations (or the state in this matter) are trying to get rid of all the skilled workers so they can pay people that dont have the skills very low wages to do important jobs, and we wonder why america is where it now is.

oakapple

Belleayre currently pays some health insurance + salary in the range of $30,000/year or $2500 a month range to cover rent/mortgage, heat, electric, car payment, car insurance, car repairs, gas, and FOOD, and those are just the basics. The fear is ORDA will probably pay less, make them seasonal employees, and provide no health insurance. When you are a parent of young children you know you need health insurance.

If ORDA pays less, then these highly skilled employees may be eligible for food stamps. Their children would probably qualify for free lunch at school. Great ORDA shows a profit but at what cost to the tax payers.

Now remember lift maintenance is a highly skilled job and is THE most important job at any ski area. When you are sitting on a stopped chair lift in zero degree temps with wind, the sooner lift maintenance gets the lift running the............ You fill in the blank. BTW lift maintenance is required to climb towers and crawl out on those towers to fix the wheels the cable sits on in the middle of the night when its 10 below zero.
How do Belleayre salaries and benefits compare to what private ski areas pay for workers with similar skills? As I recall from past discussions, it seemed that Belleayre had an unusually high number of year-round workers for a predominantly seasonal business.

Now, I realize that once people get accustomed to a given rate of pay, they aren't happy to see it reduced. But realistically, all they should expect is to be paid on par with the vast majority of workers with similar skills who work at privately-run ski areas.