• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GPS tips & tricks

gmcunni

I have a nice (but bulky) GPS - Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, that i've used for mountain biking and skiing. it has been a while since i used it and i've changed PCs since then. I'm trying to rebuild the necessary software to get the best out of if.

What software do you guys use for managing, viewing, manipulating your data? I recall TOPOFUSION was popular but wondering if something better has come along since then.

gmcunni

I've looked, but found nothing better for plotting tracks.

i re-installed all the Garmin software, i remember it (mapsource) being better than it looks now. will reinstall topo tomorrow.

Sadly i thought i'd downloaded the tracks with the garmin software but apparently it wasn't written to disk and i cleared the tracks on the device.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
i re-installed all the Garmin software, i remember it (mapsource) being better than it looks now. will reinstall topo tomorrow.

Sadly i thought i'd downloaded the tracks with the garmin software but apparently it wasn't written to disk and i cleared the tracks on the device.

I always save tracks to disk. With regards to Garmin software, the free stuff is basic, no real info. For more detailed stuff you need to but their products, in my case hiking trail maps, separate purchase, maybe that's what you had originally.