• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Automotive GPS

gmcunni

I have two Garmin NUVIs love em, My friend got a Magellan, was not at all impressed. The navigtor on my Smartphone is great, updates are free, voice commands, but there is one major problem, not as sensitive as a standalone when it comes to getting coordinates. Cloudy days could be an issue.

andy, do i recall correctly in that you have a gps watch for hiking/skiing/etc? if so, which?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
andy, do i recall correctly in that you have a gps watch for hiking/skiing/etc? if so, which?

Nope, had an Altimeter watch Suunto S6 Great watch, in that it would collect the number of runs you did and speed, then you could connect to your PC and graph it. Other than that I have used a hikers GPS and download the info into Topofusion.

gmcunni

i haven't bothered researching anything yet because a new GPS is likely a father's day gift from my kids (i buy, they wrap and give to me) but this just popped up on my email

Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates for $129, sound good anyone familiar with this model nuvi?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZX8B2S/ref=pe_73680_23026560_pe_epc_dt1

hammer

i haven't bothered researching anything yet because a new GPS is likely a father's day gift from my kids (i buy, they wrap and give to me) but this just popped up on my email

Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates for $129, sound good anyone familiar with this model nuvi?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZX8B2S/ref=pe_73680_23026560_pe_epc_dt1

I have this one, bought it because I have another Garmin Nuvi. I like the larger screen and there are some new features that are decent, but I don't like the touch screen and the Text to Speech voice is not as good as our old Nuvi. Battery life still sucks.

o3jeff

Hawkshot99

On my motorcycle i have a Garmin. I love it. Very easy to navigate around through the menus, and easy to operate. I can create a custom map on my computer with google maps, and load it onto the GPS(this is great for back road rides on the bike.)

In my truck I have a Tom-Tom. It is ok, but I wish I had gotten a Garmin. It is not as easy to navigate through the menus. I can not set the parameters as well to avoid certain roads(I tow trailers alot, and need to avoid certain roads), and I cant do a custom route.

I chose the TomTom because it was cheaper than the equal Garmin, but I wish I had spent a few more $'s.

BackLoafRiver

Blackberry has Telenav. (which might be out on other devices now) It was free and worked well back when I had my curve.

I prefer my Garmin 205 in conjunction with Google Navigation on my droid. As long as there is cell coverage, you can't beat it. When you go out of range, it is game over, hence the need for the stand alone GPS.

Cheese

On my motorcycle i have a Garmin. I love it. Very easy to navigate around through the menus, and easy to operate. I can create a custom map on my computer with google maps, and load it onto the GPS(this is great for back road rides on the bike.)

You might want to look into Microsoft Streets & Trips as an upgrade to Google maps for riding. Streets & Trips adds the benefit of time along the route so you can schedule gas, lunch and scenic stops throughout the trip and have a much better idea of when the ride needs to start or will end. This is convenient for segmenting a ride by 100 mile legs, making sure there is gas and restroom services after each leg, knowing what town you'll be in at 12:00 and whether there are a variety of restaurants available at that location. Like Google maps, the planned route can be exported and uploaded to a compatible Garmin.

gmcunni

got a Garmin 1400 for Father's day. haven't put it to the test yet but for $129 and life time map & traffic it seems pretty good.

I also got a new Iphone from work and downloaded free GPS app called WAZE. for a free app it is pretty sweet. Used it tonight in wife's car as her old GPS was not working and loved it.

gmcunni

Waze came out with a new release today that addressed some of my issues.

* "Planned Drive" so you can get real time updates on when you need to leave to get somewhere at a certain time (i think google had this)
* Traffic info - tells you why there is traffic
* auto-mute on phone calls.

still would like to turn off alerts but leave on directions. you can do the reverse.

Rushski

They are not mutually exclusive. My truck supports android auto and apple car play. I can pick my software and display it on the screen.

That is the way in-dash is starting to go (and should). Have Nav, but use Waze on my phone instead...

yeggous

That is the way in-dash is starting to go (and should). Have Nav, but use Waze on my phone instead...

That's the myopic perspective. From the view point of automotive companies built-in Nav is more important than ever. Your self-driving car needs to know where it is going.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Rushski

And manufacturers like to try to update and upcharge for updated maps on navigation that usually isn't as good as what's on your phone.

Usually..

yeggous

And manufacturers like to try to update and upcharge for updated maps on navigation that usually isn't as good as what's on your phone.

Usually..

Half true. Most manufacturers do not make the maps. They only make the electronic interface. You have to pay for new maps because they come from a different company and your GPS manufacturer only pays for a one time license.

Cornhead

I have a Magellan that was a gift. I don't use it anymore, I just use my phone. Two years ago after skiing 18" at Platty Scotty and I headed for NH. I was dead tired, and my GPS sent me down a cul de sac at 2 AM. Scotty asked if it told me to turn into a lake if I would, ala
https://youtu.be/n5lbShWEGQ0
I was never happier to check into a motel in my life. GPS is a great tool, but it isn't perfect. I've had several similar instances, being sent in a circle, down sketchy dirt roads, wrong roads, etc.

tekweezle

Going to Stratton, the GPS will always send you to a dirt road and a bridge that's closed for the winter because distance wise it is the shortest quickest route.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Hawkshot99

Going to Stratton, the GPS will always send you to a dirt road and a bridge that's closed for the winter because distance wise it is the shortest quickest route.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Haha. I found that spot years ago when I stayed in Dover and drove to Stratton for the day.