Bike Log 2012 - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike Log 2012

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Why haven't you used the road bike, would make those miles a lot easier!
    I'm working on my balance still. The wider tires have been giving me a little more confidence. I'll probably try the road bike next week.

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Finally got out for first road ride, I'm very scared on the road so will usually only go early weekends in Boston burbs.

It SUCKED! Ugh...woke up early, going downstairs I wiped last 4 steps or so and landed hard on my back/hip area...(wtf is all that padding there for? geez..)...laid for a minute in pain. Got up went out anyway. 50*, no rain but puddly wet roads. 20 less ski days than last year (w/ half as much mogul time) and a few weeks of laziness between last ski day and now took a toll. Was hoping to go 20m...made it 12.5. Didn't dress warm enough, was prob dehydrated before I started. And then on side of road was some vomit...I have big aversion to vomit. My n'hood is on tallest hill in town, no matter how I dice it have a big one at end (maybe 3-400ft vertical?). Take the long route, but stretched out hill...chugging up hill...I think I can, I think I can...Oh...I think of vomit...can't get rid of those thoughts...I think I can...oh crap..I'm gonna vomit. .NEVER in my life have I ever done that while excercising. Luckily I was 3/4 done of big hill and than a short steep one right at end..finished up freezing fucking cold...to the core. Got home, everyone still in bed...strip out of wet clothes, get out heating pad for back and forced myself next to hubby to warm up...i was seriously cold..like I have never been after a frigid ski day. Took almost 2 hours to feel warm.

Sigh....been in bed nursing my stair injury most of the day. Also bashed my elbow on fall, and getting off bike quick to gave me a huge bruise on my inner thigh...

Pity party here in bed...but still hoping to get out tomorrow AM. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    I'm working on my balance still. The wider tires have been giving me a little more confidence. I'll probably try the road bike next week.
    I'm sorta a road bike newbie, and I noticed having my tiny road bike tires pumped real high made balancing harder...I usually have them at 100psi, but tried 110 and I didn't like it and went back to 100. Just a thought, and if I'm wrong an expert here will correct me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    I'm sorta a road bike newbie, and I noticed having my tiny road bike tires pumped real high made balancing harder...I usually have them at 100psi, but tried 110 and I didn't like it and went back to 100. Just a thought, and if I'm wrong an expert here will correct me lol.
    You want to go with the lowest PSI you can safely ride without pinch flatting so your 100 is probably better than 110 if you don't flat. You can also increase the size of your tires which will allow you to lower your PSI further if balance is in issue.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    I am entirely a road bike newbie, but what you're saying makes sense in that a lower psi will give you more surface area to balance over. However, riverc0il is also correct that you don't want to go so low that you get pinch flats. Delicate balance (ha!). Taking it out for the maiden voyage today, so we'll see...
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

April 2012 - 6.62 miles
    4/28/2012 - Still River Greenway - 2.19 miles (mtb)
    4/30/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Iron Horse Blvd Greenway - 4.43 miles (mtb)

May 2012 - 17.68 miles
    5/2/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway - 5.35 miles (mtb)
    5/3/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 6.44 miles (mtb)
    5/6/2012 - Burlington, CT, Farmington River Bike Trail - 5.89 miles w/the family (road)

Road

3-25 10.65 miles
    4-8 15.49 miles
    4-14 16.65 miles
    4-15 14.25 miles
    4-16 14.60 miles
    4-18 17.19 miles
    4-21 28.68 miles
    5-5 19.19 miles

Total 136.70

MTB
    5-5 12.5 Nass
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

2012 MTB

April - 46.35

May - 24.69
    5/2 - Nass - 6.98
    5/5 - Nass - 11.83
    5/6 - Heritage Greenway - 5.88

Total - 71.04
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    I am entirely a road bike newbie, but what you're saying makes sense in that a lower psi will give you more surface area to balance over. However, riverc0il is also correct that you don't want to go so low that you get pinch flats. Delicate balance (ha!). Taking it out for the maiden voyage today, so we'll see...
    Oh definately...100 PSI works for me, wouldn't go lower, but noticed on my tired it said I could up to something much higher, so tried that. Can't remember the lowest (70? maybe?)

Hope you had a nice ride.

April 2012 - 6.62 miles
    4/28/2012 - Still River Greenway - 2.19 miles (mtb)
    4/30/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Iron Horse Blvd Greenway - 4.43 miles (mtb)

May 2012 - 24.68 miles
    5/2/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway - 5.35 miles (mtb)
    5/3/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 6.44 miles (mtb)
    5/6/2012 - Burlington, CT, Farmington River Bike Trail - 5.89 miles w/the family (road)
    5/7/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 7 miles (road)

Thread Information