Bike Log 2012 - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike Log 2012

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    April 2012 - 6.62 miles
    4/28/2012 - Still River Greenway - 2.19 miles (mtb)
    4/30/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Iron Horse Blvd Greenway - 4.43 miles (mtb)

May 2012 - 24.68 miles
    5/2/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway - 5.35 miles (mtb)
    5/3/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 6.44 miles (mtb)
    5/6/2012 - Burlington, CT, Farmington River Bike Trail - 5.89 miles w/the family (road)
    5/7/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 7 miles (road)
    Opinion on the road bike? A lot easier to roll some mileage!
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Opinion on the road bike? A lot easier to roll some mileage!
    Very easy to rack up miles quickly, but my wrists have been bothering me. We did some adjustments tonight and hopefully they'll help.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Very easy to rack up miles quickly, but my wrists have been bothering me. We did some adjustments tonight and hopefully they'll help.
    When I first got the road bike last summer I was also having some wrist issues. The bike shop owner (big roadie, bike fit expert) explained to me that wrist issues are ussually a sign of a weak core. Because you core isn't supporting enough of your upper body mass your arms / wrists take the brunt of the load. He swapped out my stem for one with a lot of rise to give me a more upright riding posture. This was just to buy some time while I worked on core strength. A month or two later I swapped out stems to one longer than I first had with negative rise and was just fine. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    When I first got the road bike last summer I was also having some wrist issues. The bike shop owner (big roadie, bike fit expert) explained to me that wrist issues are ussually a sign of a weak core. Because you core isn't supporting enough of your upper body mass your arms / wrists take the brunt of the load. He swapped out my stem for one with a lot of rise to give me a more upright riding posture. This was just to buy some time while I worked on core strength. A month or two later I swapped out stems to one longer than I first had with negative rise and was just fine. YMMV
    Seeing as I'm still recovering from my discectomy 1 year ago, my core strength is definitely lacking. Slowly rebuilding, as allowed. We moved the bars a bit up for now...
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

How about if my shoulders right by my neck hurt? Probably just bad form and I have a bad habit of locking my elbows.
    2009/2010 - 28

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    How about if my shoulders right by my neck hurt? Probably just bad form and I have a bad habit of locking my elbows.
    I was having some shoulder neck issues at first also. It was due to wearing a mtb helmet with a visor. With the visor I had to cock my head back to have decent vision. Without the visor I could have my head down and see just find with my peripheral vision.

The first few rides were pretty bad for me, everything hurt, wrists, arms, shoulders/neck. Did 30 miles today and feel really good, Been concentrating on relaxing more instead of being tense and probably whats helping more is just getting out there and ride, it will strengthen your core like Tim said and all the soreness goes away.
    2009/2010 - 28

2008/09 - 33

MTB Miles
    4/7 - 6.2 Miles
    4/13 - 7.33 Miles
    4/14 - 7.73 Miles
    4/15 - 17.40 Miles
    4/16 - 10.43 Miles
    4/17 - 10.48 Miles
    4/19 - 8.2 Miles
    4/30 - 8.01 Miles

Total MTB - 75.78 Miles

Road Miles
    5/5 - 17.5 miles
    5/6 - 14.74
    5/7 - 19.21
    5/12 - 22.01
    5/13 - 24.68

Total Road - 98.15

If the rain hadn't been on this 4 day on, 3 day off cycle, I could easily be well over 150. I have found that, like o3jeff, I am getting pain in my back. (pretty much where my traps are or just below) My only thought is that it I am still getting used to road riding position.

On a positive though, I am pretty hooked on the road thing. The bike is riding great. The only thing I can see changing is possibly moving from the SPD's I have on there. (I have been following the pedal thread closely) The whole "hotspot" thing is a reality for me and, while I am sure I could make it 30+ miles on them, I am sure toward the end it would be painful. Quite happy with my purchase. Until the weather cooperates and lets the trails dry out, the MTB is on hold.

Road

3/25 10.65 miles
    4/8- 15.49 miles
    4/14- 16.65 miles
    4/15- 14.25 miles
    4/16- 14.60 miles
    4/18- 17.19 miles
    4/21- 28.68 miles
    55- 19.19 miles
    5/7- 15.15 miles
    5/13- 30.85 miles

Total Road 182.70

MTB
    5/5- 12.5 Nass
    5/12- 6.10 Nass

Total Mtb 18.60
    Last edited by o3jeff; May 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
    2009/2010 - 28

2008/09 - 33

Got road bike out on Saturday and Sunday. Same route as awful ride last weekend. Saturday was just as brutal, but I didn't need to vomit or stop on ride up long hill lol. What an accomplishment....yeehaw. 12.5 miles...wtf is wrong with me. Started at 15 last year ans was up to 30 quickly.

Lamented to hubby and fitness guru teen daughter who both said I was having endurance/cardio problems. Made sense. I had been trying to power up hills and in general. So Sunday I paid attention to cadence and concnetrated on gearing and felt much better, had steam left at the end, ready to crank up to 20 in two more rides.

But like others above...back aches like never before. Know it's not my bike, but my soggy core. Really not starting out in as good shape as last spring, and find I'm just not using my abs and back muscles to hold my back up on bike. But am ~ 8pds lighter which I figure must count for something while hauling my ass up hills lol. People remove reflectors to lighten the load...I must removed 1000 haha.

Thread Information