• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Atomic Theory Question

Cheese

I'm demoing some race skis Thursday night too, thinking I might want something longer for the Great Race. I don't think buying two sets of skis this spring is in the cards ... really shouldn't even be buying any ...

I know there was talk about the FIS changing radius/length for 2013. I haven't checked back recently, but if the change did/does go through, there should be plenty of 2011 FIS race skis to be had for cheap as they'll no longer be allowed in the courses.

bigbog

$.01....
Guess is that more than a few skis that have come out within the last couple yrs will be lighter and livelier(sp?;-)) than the Watea94...y/n? After all it's been out there for half a decade+..y/n? Have only hand-flexed the Theory in a ~70deg+/- shop environment = seems kind of soft and has some web opinions as to them lacking edgegrip...but we all know how some skiers who often pose as ski know-it-alls...only ski for air or huge western turn radius = stiffness is everything..(yeah right).
In local shop I seem to notice most everything else possessing a bit more firmness..and I don't mean rock hard Volkl or Blizzard stiffness. May not mean anything but there might be more than a few skis that will sit in between the two...

Last edited:

wa-loaf

I know there was talk about the FIS changing radius/length for 2013. I haven't checked back recently, but if the change did/does go through, there should be plenty of 2011 FIS race skis to be had for cheap as they'll no longer be allowed in the courses.

I don't want an FIS I'm looking for the step below. Don't need more than that for the night league racing so thinking about a Volkl Racetiger Speedwall, Fischer RC4, The Atomic D2 GS skis around 180cm.

$.01....
Guess is that more than a few skis that have come out within the last couple yrs will be livelier(sp?;-)) than the Watea94...y/n? After all it's been out there for half a decade+..y/n? Have only hand-flexed the Theory in a ~70deg+/- shop environment = seems kind of soft and has some web opinions as to them lacking edgegrip...but we all know how some skiers who often pose as ski know-it-alls...only ski for air or huge western turn radius = stiffness is everything..(yeah right).
In local shop I seem to notice most everything else possessing a bit more firmness..and I don't mean rock hard Volkl or Blizzard stiffness. May not mean anything but there might be more than a few skis that will sit in between the two...

They don't have metal in them like a lot of the other skis in that category. When I demoed them they did have good edge hold, but I have other skis if I'm going to be skiing the groomers. This would be primarily a soft snow ski for me.

bigbog

Line has a few...as does Atomic!(not sure on width underfoot). Line has reworked their Sir Francis Bacon(down to 108mm)...:-D
http://lineskis.com/skis/sir-francis-bacon fwiw...
Lots of skis out there though...maybe add in Atomic Blog.

..But you'd be the first here to ski the Theorys full-time...no reason not to grab it...for the prices I've seen here & there.

Last edited:

gmcunni

They are only a few dollars more at Suburban and if you ask nicely, I am sure they will trow in a t-shirt!

i'm saving up for a gopro! i want to film my mediocre skiing on crappy skis rather than experience mediocre skiing better skis.

gmcunni

You're about the same size as wa-loaf, get the 186! I think I am skiing on 17x skis now.

tough call, this would be my 1 ski quiver. i could handle the 186 fine on piste but worry that it is a tad long for me in bumps and trees (if i ever learn to ski trees).

wa-loaf

You're about the same size as wa-loaf, get the 186! I think I am skiing on 17x skis now.

5'9" 205 ...?

They are only a few dollars more at Suburban and if you ask nicely, I am sure they will trow in a t-shirt!

Still waiting to hear from them, but the googles are $60 retail.

tough call, this would be my 1 ski quiver. i could handle the 186 fine on piste but worry that it is a tad long for me in bumps and trees (if i ever learn to ski trees).

Not sure I'd want them as my one ski. Could probably work, but I like my Enduros (85mm 177cm) as my all round ski.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

Not sure I'd want them as my one ski. Could probably work, but I like my Enduros (85mm 177cm) as my all round ski.[/QUOTE]

Not really that much difference between 85cm and 95cm. If you want a dedicated soft snow ski, why not go bigger?

wa-loaf

Not really that much difference between 85cm and 95cm. If you want a dedicated soft snow ski, why not go bigger?

They ski differently enough it works for me. The Enduro is very burly (I moved down from the 184 to 177 on these). Though I am open to something wider.

gmcunni

i'm on 84/170 nordica, a little wider and a little longer would be no brainer (rocker will negate the length) but 186 seems a touch long

wa-loaf

They ski differently enough it works for me. The Enduro is very burly (I moved down from the 184 to 177 on these). Though I am open to something wider.

Maybe the Atomic Coax at 105, but I've never skied it. Doing demos (2012/2113 skis) on the 9th, maybe I can hold out till then and try some of these out. I'd want to get something and be ready to for my trip to CO on the 20th.