• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Extreme Polling

Cannonball

Saw the ortho today, looks like the tendon fully seperated from the bicep, says I need surgery or I will lose strength, he says about 20%. Says if I don't fix it within 2 weeks scar tissue will grow. Have to stay in sling for a few month and rehab. Sucks, just when winter was starting to look good :(

That seriously blows dude. It sounded like it was the case, but was hoping it wasn't. Here's a little shred of silver lining: I partially ruptured mine. From what I've heard from docs and other people with the injury (including Puck it) in many ways you are better off with the full tear and surgery. At least they know exactly what to do. And the surgical reattachments are stronger. Good luck!

Bene288

That's what my ankle looked like about a month ago. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Lots of ice and elevation.

my poor knees

got the surgery yesterday, gotta love percasetts, however you spell it. ortho says many months before it will be full strength. anyone have this surgery done? curious to hear how others faired?

Puck it

got the surgery yesterday, gotta love percasetts, however you spell it. ortho says many months before it will be full strength. anyone have this surgery done? curious to hear how others faired?

I was back to full use in 2 1/2 months. No rehab either. I did it 3/19 and had surgery 3/21. I played golf on Memorial Day. Orhto kept me in the sling and half cast for another week because I was bending it. He did not want me to pull screw out before tendon reattached fully. My wife says I am a freak though since heal so fast. I also was back skiin and playing hockey after knee reconstruction in 6 months.

Cannonball

From what I've learned about this injury Puck it bounced back a little faster than most.

My experience: I had a partial tear, not a full one, so I didn't need surgery. The tendon still had some attachment but needed to form scar tissue to secure that attachment. The Dr said "Basically you should consider yourself as having just come out of surgery and entering the healing/rehab phase." So from that perspective it was similar to where you are at. That included.
- approx 6 weeks of total immobility. He wanted to put me in a cast I talked him into a brace.
- approx 6 weeks of cautiously moving it to regain range of motion, but no weight bearing. This is where the brace made a big difference. I was able to adjust extension and flexion settings over time to gain range without risk of re-injury.
- Now I'm in PT. This is the phase that Puck it skipped. I'm liking the slow recovery and building back muscle strength and confidence in the tendon. But some of that is personal choice on when you're willing to test it and risk it. My PT happens to be one of my ski partners so I'm actually enjoying the visits and workouts focused on sport-specific strength.

This season I have been snowboarding because I'm less concerned about reinjury with that. I haven't skied at all for fear of doing exactly what you and Puck it did to injury it in the first place. BUT, if I wasn't already someone who does both....I'd most likely have said F-it I'm skiing.

Good luck!

my poor knees

Thought I would post an update for anyone with a similar injury. It's been 3 weeks since the surgery and my arm feels practically normal already. I have full extension and contraction of my arm already and I've only been in PT 4 times. I had a huge blister ( supposedly normal according to the doctor ) which slowed healing down for a while because I was afraid to bend my arm in fear of popping the blister. Even though the doctor said to keep my arm in the sling for 6 weeks I stopped wearing it after a week. My rotation of my wrists is still a bit tight, I can rotate to about the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock position compared to my good arm which rotates to about 7 & 9, I figure another week or two my range of motion should be normal. I can't and won't pick up anything heavy for a few more weeks but it's coming along so much faster than I thought. I doubt I'll be going to PT much longer, once you realize what it is they want you to do, it's easier to just do it yourself at home, at least for me. BIG thanx to puck it and the rest who said to see an ortho, if I left it alone ( and I might have ) my arm would have never healed right it would always be weaker than the right, plus the ortho said it should be repaired quickly within 2 weeks for it to heal right. Seems with the crappy weather I picked a good year to get hurt, but then again it probably contributed to my injury. The day it happened they got some fresh snow but it was hiding the ice underneath which probably contributed to the slip. I look forward to next year!!

View attachment 5057

Last edited:

legalskier

Nice to hear you're doing better. Look at the bright side- your season may have ended early...but so has everyone else's. :-(

my poor knees

Went skiing today for first time since the tendon was repaired and all was fine, like nothing ever happened. I am very glad I listened and went to the doctor, it would have been terrible if I had to go through life with a weakened arm. I tried skiing without pole straps but it's not too practical, sometimes the pole slips through your grip, would love to find old pole grips that have the ledge preventing your hand from slipping down. Other than that, it's back to normal.

bdfreetuna

I am glad the strap on one of my poles is broken, so I continue to use neither strap anyway :D

Dropping poles has never been a problem, but I bet you didn't know I have the G.I. Joe Kung Fu grip.

Scruffy

Just say NO to straps!! Seriously, why do you need them? The only time I use straps is when I'm running gates to get leverage out of the starting gate. All other times my straps are off PERIOD. You learn realy quick to hold on to you poles after a few time losing them behind you. And since I'm always ducking into the trees, I don't have to think about it. Same with the char lift, no fusing on or off the lift.

skiNEwhere

I have the detachable pole straps, if enough pressure is exerted on the strap it will release from the pole, which may spare you from injury