• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Extreme Polling

my poor knees

Going a bit fast down Outer Limits at Killington on Saturday and my pole stuck in the snow a bit and I think I let it get behind me too much and it pulled my arm way back and whack, felt like I got shot in the arm. I knew when I went to touch it and move it that it was bad but it actually turned black & blue. Lots of ice and ibuprofen and it still hurt. Sunday and Monday were too good to stay in the room, but I gotta admit, it was torture to try to ski with one arm, trying to do moguls without poles is interesting to say the least. If I moved my arm the wrong way it sent a lightning bolt up my arm. I hope it heals quick, I need to get back on the mountain, don't take your arms for granted when skiing !![

ATTACH]4985[/ATTACH]

my poor knees

Did you break it?

Nope, I 'think' I tore something. If I move it a certain way it hurts, so I try not to move it that way:) Never had anything like this happen. And yes I did have my strap on. If the group consensus is that the strap might be partly responsible, I might stop wearing the straps. I 'thought' I was wearing the straps the right way, under the palm, creating leverage etc, was told to wear the straps that way to prevent thumb breakage when you fall.

Smellytele

My only thought with the strap is that if you didn't have it on, it probably would have been ripped from your hand before an injury of that magnitude could have occured.

wa-loaf

Nope, I 'think' I tore something. If I move it a certain way it hurts, so I try not to move it that way:) Never had anything like this happen. And yes I did have my strap on. If the group consensus is that the strap might be partly responsible, I might stop wearing the straps. I 'thought' I was wearing the straps the right way, under the palm, creating leverage etc, was told to wear the straps that way to prevent thumb breakage when you fall.

Get something that has breakaway straps like the Leki triggers. Not using straps sucks.

Hope it heals up.

crank

I have not used straps in years. Having said that though I am mostly skiing in glades and thicker woods where pole straps can be a real hazard. I can see where you might want them skiing moguls regularly.

Puck it

Did it feel like something snapped a rubber band on your arm? If so then you tore a tendon. I tore my bicep tendon at Sunapee on the Flying Goose moguls when my pole got stuck and behind me. I pulled and the tendon snapped. Bicep went up my arm like a shade. In surgery two days later and ended ski season. Ortho liked to do it fast to get locate where tendon was and reattach it.

my poor knees

Did it feel like something snapped a rubber band on your arm? If so then you tore a tendon. I tore my bicep tendon at Sunapee on the Flying Goose moguls when my pole got stuck and behind me. I pulled and the tendon snapped. Bicep went up my arm like a shade. In surgery two days later and ended ski season. Ortho liked to do it fast to get locate where tendon was and reattach it.

Don't even know what kind of doctor to go to, actually I was thinking about letting it heal on it's own. It's starting to feel better allready. I think it hyper extended ( hope that's the right term) but I couldn't say for sure if I heard a pop or snapping sound, I think it was more of a tearing feeling with a sharp pain that went up the arm. If it's a tendon I hope it heals quick.

Puck it

Don't even know what kind of doctor to go to, actually I was thinking about letting it heal on it's own. It's starting to feel better allready. I think it hyper extended ( hope that's the right term) but I couldn't say for sure if I heard a pop or snapping sound, I think it was more of a tearing feeling with a sharp pain that went up the arm. If it's a tendon I hope it heals quick.

You want to see an ortho. You would not hear anything. Sharp pain? It sounds like the tendon. If completely tore, it will not heal. Partial tear will scar and be okay but needs to be immobilized.

My online diagnosis is done. Payment can be sent to my Paypal account in Honduras!!!!!!:spin:

legalskier

And yes I did have my strap on. If the group consensus is that the strap might be partly responsible, I might stop wearing the straps. I 'thought' I was wearing the straps the right way, under the palm, creating leverage etc, was told to wear the straps that way to prevent thumb breakage when you fall.

I have standard (non-breakaway) straps, so what I do is only put four fingers (index, middle, ring & baby fingers) through the straps and leave the thumb outside.
That way, if there's trouble and force builds up between my arm and pole I can either hold onto the strap, or just let go- but the choice is mine.
Similar to this, but keeping your thumb outside the strap:

I've never gotten a strap induced injury. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Highway Star

A little while back I tweaked an elbow with some hard pole planting or tree skiing, sore for a while and took about a year to fully heal.

Pole basket size is important to keep from getting hung up in soft snow. I use scotts 3.8 powder basket. (only use scott series 4 poles)

Skiing trees in soft snow it is exceptionally easy to get hung up with normal baskets and break a pole or worse. I use a pole with a medium size basket for mixed conditions and a small race basket on ice.

It's not hard to ski without straps, but I prefer them. Never had a problem with thumbs.

bvibert

Staff member
When I ski with my kids I don't use straps since my little one often needs a push, or to be picked up, both of which as easier to do without poles strapped to your hands. On flats it's not really noticeable that I don't have the straps on. However, I've found that in the bumps I've become too dependent on the straps. There's been a few times where the pole shot up through my hand on an overly aggressive pole plant.

my poor knees

I have standard (non-breakaway) straps, so what I do is only put four fingers (index, middle, ring & baby fingers) through the straps and leave the thumb outside.
That way, if there's trouble and force builds up between my arm and pole I can either hold onto the strap, or just let go- but the choice is mine.
Similar to this, but keeping your thumb outside the strap:

I've never gotten a strap induced injury. I hope you're feeling better soon.

YES that's exactly how I was wearing my straps, learned that from chatting up a ski patrol guy on the lift many years back. Told me it would prevent me from breaking a thumb and it gives you better leverage when planting. The pole never fell or came off, I 'think' I just got way ahead of the pole, let it get behind me, it probably got stuck slightly and I tried to yank it out and that's when it happened. From what I read I should probably let it rest and not work out for a little while. I probably shouldn't have skied the following two days. a few jolts during the day brought tears to my eyes, hope it's ok to take 4 advils at a time, hate to think I f*cked up my kidneys.

Ironically last year while going through the trees, my ski got hung up on something and spun me around straight for a tree, I instinctively stuck my arm out to grab onto a tree and crushed some muscles inside my arm, that one took a long time to heal. I think my mistake was to start working out too soon, when using the dumb bells I could actually hear my muscles making creaking and crunching sounds, that time it was my right arm, this time the left. It's back to normal now but took a long time, this time I think I'll let it rest.....

Cannonball

You want to see an ortho. You would not hear anything. Sharp pain? It sounds like the tendon. If completely tore, it will not heal. Partial tear will scar and be okay but needs to be immobilized.

My online diagnosis is done. Payment can be sent to my Paypal account in Honduras!!!!!!:spin:

Yeah, seriously listen to Pucki it on this. I am just bouncing back from a partially torn bicep. It sounds very much like what you did (although I did it a different say). See and ortho and right away. What I've learned by going through this:
- The motion you described is very common for torn bicep tendons.
- You can function with a torn bicep so it sometimes it might seem like you don't need treatment. But untreated will only get you back to ~40% of full strength.
- Quick diagnosis and treatment is key. Need to get to it while the tendon and muscle is still pliable and before there is major scar tissue development where you don't want it.
- Docs can diagnose this pretty quickly and MRI confirms.

Good luck

TheBEast

Yeah, seriously listen to Pucki it on this. I am just bouncing back from a partially torn bicep. It sounds very much like what you did (although I did it a different say). See and ortho and right away. What I've learned by going through this:
- The motion you described is very common for torn bicep tendons.
- You can function with a torn bicep so it sometimes it might seem like you don't need treatment. But untreated will only get you back to ~40% of full strength.
- Quick diagnosis and treatment is key. Need to get to it while the tendon and muscle is still pliable and before there is major scar tissue development where you don't want it.
- Docs can diagnose this pretty quickly and MRI confirms.

Good luck

+1 I'd see a doc. I waited 10 weeks for an issue in my heel to feel better (from lots of running) and needless to say if I had seen the doc right away (heel bursitis) I could have saved myself time and pain and it's a relatively easy thing to rehab.

Moral of the story, don't be afraid to see the doc.

SkiFanE

YES that's exactly how I was wearing my straps, learned that from chatting up a ski patrol guy on the lift many years back. Told me it would prevent me from breaking a thumb and it gives you better leverage when planting. The pole never fell or came off, I 'think' I just got way ahead of the pole, let it get behind me, it probably got stuck slightly and I tried to yank it out and that's when it happened. From what I read I should probably let it rest and not work out for a little while. I probably shouldn't have skied the following two days. a few jolts during the day brought tears to my eyes, hope it's ok to take 4 advils at a time, hate to think I f*cked up my kidneys.

Ironically last year while going through the trees, my ski got hung up on something and spun me around straight for a tree, I instinctively stuck my arm out to grab onto a tree and crushed some muscles inside my arm, that one took a long time to heal. I think my mistake was to start working out too soon, when using the dumb bells I could actually hear my muscles making creaking and crunching sounds, that time it was my right arm, this time the left. It's back to normal now but took a long time, this time I think I'll let it rest.....

Something similar happened to me on a fall ski day - wet snow making snow and was flying and my pole stuck like cement into the snow...my shoulder was sucked backward and eventually the pole let go and helicoptered around a few times. My shoulder was sore, but nothing like yours...and it still took me a year to be able to put my arm into my coat without feeling it. Looking at yours, go see a doctor, at least to get the right treatment.

my poor knees

Saw the ortho today, looks like the tendon fully seperated from the bicep, says I need surgery or I will lose strength, he says about 20%. Says if I don't fix it within 2 weeks scar tissue will grow. Have to stay in sling for a few month and rehab. Sucks, just when winter was starting to look good :(

Puck it

Saw the ortho today, looks like the tendon fully seperated from the bicep, says I need surgery or I will lose strength, he says about 20%. Says if I don't fix it within 2 weeks scar tissue will grow. Have to stay in sling for a few month and rehab. Sucks, just when winter was starting to look good :(

Anybody else need a remote diagnosis?

The bill is in the mail btw.