• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$$teaux, March 2 & 4

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Friday and Sunday. Steaux skied brilliantly on Friday. Over the week, it received 2-3 feet, a little bit every day. Ah, the sound of squeaking snow and the silence of skiing over pow was wonderful. Fresh tracks were to be found each day. The glades in perfect shape, a bit more pounded than Jay. Probably my best day of the year. We literally went anywhere we wanted.

Crowds were unusually minimal, probably due to the negative weather forecasts. Even the gondi and quad were easy on all day. There was no wind to speak of. The only rain was one hour on Saturday. The base was a bit crunchy on Sunday, so we didn't expect much. About 8 am, the clouds began dumping, it got heavier, and dumped all day, still dumping when I left at 4 today. Lifts were pretty much cleared out by 3.

Did a bit of gate whacking, 4 runs worth. Good course, down to the ice and rutted. It proved to be a great proving ground for better carving skill. After run #1, went back to the gondi, removed my skis and voila, equipment malfunction! The ski brake blasted apart after apparently losing one linkage. With a bit metal rod sticking up at heel center, there was no way to use them. Thank God for the quiver in the car. That will have to be a spring/summer project.

I got one of the last trains out of the station at 3:55, it was sooo hard to leave. Every run had more and more pp. The trails were moving back to their Friday PP.

Last edited:

k123

I'm planning on heading up to Stowe St. Patrick's day weekend. How do you think the snowpack will hold up in the glades?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm planning on heading up to Stowe St. Patrick's day weekend. How do you think the snowpack will hold up in the glades?

It will be there for some time. IIt won't be puff though. If they go through another thaw-freeze again, wait for it to soften and head out late am.

ScottySkis

Nice report Bill its great that you got your powered days in, sorry it took four months of winter to happen.

steamboat1

Just a reminder to those who might be able to take advantage. Next week (Mar. 14-17) are ski club appreciation days at Stowe. 1 day tic. $43, 2 day tic. $64, 3 day tic. $96, 4 day tic. $120. You must have a valid ski club membership card to take advantage.

k123

Just a reminder to those who might be able to take advantage. Next week (Mar. 14-17) are ski club appreciation days at Stowe. 1 day tic. $43, 2 day tic. $64, 3 day tic. $96, 4 day tic. $120. You must have a valid ski club membership card to take advantage.

I'm heading up for that, it's such a great deal.

It will be there for some time. IIt won't be puff though. If they go through another thaw-freeze again, wait for it to soften and head out late am.

Hopefully it will be during a thaw when I'm there, forecasts showing temps around 50 for that weekend, so it should be soft enough

k123

Anyone know why Starr, Goat, Lookout, and a bunch of natural trails were closed today?
Were they frozen or something?

k123

Anyone know if Goat and Starr will reopen at some point this season?