• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill Mogul Competition - Win a Season Pass

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Plattekill is hosting a bump contest on St Patrick's Day 3/17 at 1pm.

Top Prize will be a 2012-2013 Season Pass.

I thought this crowd my have some interest:

Plattekill-Moguls.jpg

Details will be posted here:

http://www.plattekill.com/winter/blog/233-bump-contest

mondeo

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Such a great bump mountain that they had to use a picture from France of a Canadian.

That was my bad. I thought I lower entry fee was more important than shooting (or buying) an image - we didn't have a great one.

Sincere question from a bump novice - what makes a great bump mountain? I'd thought steep continuous pitch and well formed bumps would do it? What are the ingredients?

That $1000 prize sounds like an excellent draw for Sundown. Ski Barn is on as a sponsor and Platty has added a pair of Dynastars to the prize list.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Harvey..sounds like you'll be up at Platty on Sat? I'll be there with the family as usual. Should be a really fun day...

I'll be there. Due to an unfortunate incident on Friday 3/2 ... I am done for the season, so won't be skiing. It's going to be very odd driving 3 hours to a mountain, staring at the bumps on Blockbuster and not skiing.

But the contest and the whole celebration (music, beer, prizes, St. Platty's Day) was the brainchild of ml242 from TGR, Laszlo, and I. I want to support the event and will probably write a piece on the day. I'll be hanging on the deck, probably riding the lift and seeing if I can limp my way into position for a few pics.

Would love some help with pics if you are inclined to bring a digital and snap a few. Definitely say hi.

2knees

That was my bad. I thought I lower entry fee was more important than shooting (or buying) an image - we didn't have a great one.

Sincere question from a bump novice - what makes a great bump mountain? I'd thought steep continuous pitch and well formed bumps would do it? What are the ingredients?

That $1000 prize sounds like an excellent draw for Sundown. Ski Barn is on as a sponsor and Platty has added a pair of Dynastars to the prize list.

Mondeo is just being sarcastic.

I think it's awesome that they are doing this. If it was any other day I would try like hell to get there. Good luck with this and I hope it becomes an annual thing for plattekill.

Mondeo is just being sarcastic.

I think it's awesome that they are doing this. If it was any other day I would try like hell to get there. Good luck with this and I hope it becomes an annual thing for plattekill.

I agree, better planning against a finite number of mogul enthusiasts in the Northeast could make for a better showing. Many of us who are going to Sundown, would love to hit Blockbuster.

mondeo

Meant no offense, just found it a little funny is all. If it weren't the same day as both the first volleyball tourney I'm playing in since college and Sundown, I'd be there.

Mountains need to get their acts together. 3 competitions within the same weekend, and then nothing after that.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Might not be much snow left after this weekend down in southern NE and the Cats....:dontknow::dontknow:

Agreed. I don't think you move your big party back another week because of another mountains plans, especially this season.

We actually talked about doing the party/bump contest on Sunday. There was a VT ski company that could have participated in a demo, and a few other considerations. Ultimately the mountain wants people to hang out and that is much more likely on a Saturday. That could figure into Sundown's thinking too.