• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mt snow

jaywbigred

I am super scared of what the mountain will look like after this week. Lord have mercy if I don't get a bunch of April turns in.

drjeff

I am super scared of what the mountain will look like after this week. Lord have mercy if I don't get a bunch of April turns in.

Will depend on both what the weather does next week and when the mow down a park at Carinthia and how long they want to keep that going. The finals for the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge are on the 31st - to hold it, baring some major change back to the cold and snowy, a park at Carinthia (The Gulch was what I heard is the leading candidate) will need to be plowed down which will give it plenty of base. They've got a BIG PSIA examination event on the hill later this week and then a bunch of British coming in the next few weeks and the Mountain Dew finals last year drew hundreds of racers, so returning a park to a ski trail is a reasonable option.

I will admit that today I was on the hill, I can with 100% certianty say that I said my goodbye's for the season to Thanks Walt, Beartrap, Ex, Lodge, Ego, Drop, and South Bowl. And think that I might have said my seasonal goodbyes to Snowdance and The Northface. The last few days had some major melting, and i'm just not sure if the maybe's will have enough snow to make it through 3the more days of these temps before some "seasonable" air arrives on Friday :eek:

Last edited:

legalskier

The last few days had some major melting, and i'm just not sure if the maybe's will have enough snow to make it through 3the more days of these temps before some "seasonable" air arrives on Friday :eek:

I've never seen snow melt as fast as this past week. Depressing and disturbing.

Last edited:

Glenn

If you saw someone skiing the ripper in a PBR employee shirt, that was Glenn ;) (seriously!)

With my Wal-Mart cargo shorts....AKA: Wal-Go's.
:lol:
Taken Sunday:
IMG-20120318-00092.jpg

Saturday morning:
IMG-20120317-00103.jpg

Ripcord yesterday. Probably some of the best runs I've ever had on the Ripper took place this weekend. The bumps were huge and the snow was soft.
Townshend-20120319-00106.jpg

EDIT:

Just for ha-ha's...here's a pic from 3/18/2008. What a difference 4 years ago. That's my wife on the last pitch on Upper Lodge before you make a hard right to pick up Link to zip over to Ego ect. There were a lot of bare spots there yesterday.
Melissa3.jpg

Last edited:

drjeff

With my Wal-Mart cargo shorts....AKA: Wal-Go's.
:lol:
Taken Sunday:
IMG-20120318-00092.jpg

Hmm, I think I might have seen that guy on Sunday! Debatable whether the shirt looks better with ski boots or slip on shoes though?? ;) :lol:

Ripcord yesterday. Probably some of the best runs I've ever had on the Ripper took place this weekend. The bumps were huge and the snow was soft.
Townshend-20120319-00106.jpg

Yup, pretty sure I saw that view too! Great couple of days of cruising around in the mashed potatoes with you and Mitz! And BTW, pretty sure it wasn't until about 1/2 home to CT that my feet finally dried out yesterday! SERIOUS "swamp boot" going on there yesterday! :eek:

Glenn

Vince and I were both rocking the shorts with slip-on shoes look on Saturday for apres. We shoulda taken a pic!

Agreed...we had some great runs with you guys this weekend. We'll have to do that more often...and get Vince out there. Imagine the epic "Mount Snow Homer Trifecta TR" would could put together. :lol:

I think you need this for the boots:

QVd_LEqS6EPpwinzr68xpRyQueWqi07qoY_mj-J8CjiweYCbWw8kQTZQbTLzwT6Xz5AKsOxjRrlLgsGAciuOS93IDWZP3CaqaDaqpzF51kd-qicMu3wzieG5B0px86MhcMPWourbHK4yWSTjAyx9AAvB6ZrmaNKQktiLYR0evOXhIBZYP4z2QZOOhZY8iAH-iiljtIz16zzygyLIrReZVeOTyR4mFD6ZsSd5OnbGlmQBQMumTVLQrQ3cp6zIdd8ow-77kjJaVsFp4N3BNkjlimOxFXg-qXU

HD333

Vince and I were both rocking the shorts with slip-on shoes look on Saturday for apres. We shoulda taken a pic!

QVd_LEqS6EPpwinzr68xpRyQueWqi07qoY_mj-J8CjiweYCbWw8kQTZQbTLzwT6Xz5AKsOxjRrlLgsGAciuOS93IDWZP3CaqaDaqpzF51kd-qicMu3wzieG5B0px86MhcMPWourbHK4yWSTjAyx9AAvB6ZrmaNKQktiLYR0evOXhIBZYP4z2QZOOhZY8iAH-iiljtIz16zzygyLIrReZVeOTyR4mFD6ZsSd5OnbGlmQBQMumTVLQrQ3cp6zIdd8ow-77kjJaVsFp4N3BNkjlimOxFXg-qXU
Funny stuff. I was rocking my shorts and Merrells for Apres on Saturday as well. Then when we stopped for some shopping on the way home on Sunday. The wife was NOT impressed.

drjeff

Funny stuff. I was rocking my shorts and Merrells for Apres on Saturday as well. Then when we stopped for some shopping on the way home on Sunday. The wife was NOT impressed.

I was feeling at bit out of place for a moment during Apres on Saturday as both Glenn and Vcunning were rocking the slip ons, where as I was sporting some actual lace up hiking boots to go with my shorts. Then I ordered another beer and forgot about it! ;) :beer: :lol:

Glenn

Oh good! So I'm not the only one rocking that look! I guess it coulda been worse...I could gone for the "old dude" look and worn some black socks jacked up to my knees.

And on another note...I bring way too much attire for spring skiing. Cold in the AM....warmish late morning...hot in the afternoon. It's harder to dress for warm weather vs cold weather.

jaywbigred

http://mountsnow.com/3-20-12-closing-date/

Closing on Sunday. Slight chance of reopening next weekend. Slight. Earliest closing date since they have records back to 1994. No Brewers Fest (and presumably no Glade-iator).

When I saw this I reacted like Buddy the Elf finding out his Dad was on the naughty list.

What a horrible day.

Glenn

http://mountsnow.com/3-20-12-closing-date/

Closing on Sunday. Slight chance of reopening next weekend. Slight. Earliest closing date since they have records back to 1994. No Brewers Fest (and presumably no Glade-iator).

When I saw this I reacted like Buddy the Elf finding out his Dad was on the naughty list.

What a horrible day.

Just the opposite here...I did the happy dance. After skiing there yesterday, anything this upcomming weekend would be a gift. And they're delivering. The snow is melting fast...and the temps aren't cooling off. I'm impressed they're going for one last weekend. Should be a nice party. I hope they hotdog cart is out.....owitz.

drjeff

Just the opposite here...I did the happy dance. After skiing there yesterday, anything this upcomming weekend would be a gift. And they're delivering. The snow is melting fast...and the temps aren't cooling off. I'm impressed they're going for one last weekend. Should be a nice party. I hope they hotdog cart is out.....owitz.

Agree. I will admit that i'm pleasantly surprised to hear that Ripcord is even possibly in play after making a couple of runs down it yesterday and seeing the changes to it from Sunday :eek:

Gotta get people out this weekend. If the business is there, then as long as NEXT week isn't 70+ degrees all week long, then spinning the lifts at Carinthia will be in play the following weekend for sure!

Glenn

I'm starting to wonder Jeff....will they groom the Ripper? I'd had to see those bumps go...but if it's the difference between skiing the trail or not.....

Newpylong

I dont think they will groom it. When bases get thin enough to show dirt they seldom do unless they have to farm the snow. The tilling can be worse than leaving it as is...

askstowell

Had our reservations for the weekend of 3/30-4/1 cancelled by Mt. Snow today and being refunded . Got email saying they're closing this Sunday and they're nervous they'll be able to make it until then when I called. That's when I found out that the Mt. Dew Vertical Challenge Finals have been cancelled. Daughter's a bit bummed as we were going with a couple of other families and she was looking forward to it. But it sort of sums up our season so we'll just hit the "reset" button for next year and hope Mother Nature is more cooperative!

drjeff

Had our reservations for the weekend of 3/30-4/1 cancelled by Mt. Snow today and being refunded . Got email saying they're closing this Sunday and they're nervous they'll be able to make it until then when I called. That's when I found out that the Mt. Dew Vertical Challenge Finals have been cancelled. Daughter's a bit bummed as we were going with a couple of other families and she was looking forward to it. But it sort of sums up our season so we'll just hit the "reset" button for next year and hope Mother Nature is more cooperative!

Same thing about the bummed kids and the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge finals. Thy won their qualifiers at Killington 2 weeks ago, and I will admit to trying to lobby various Mount Snow admins this past weekend to plow down a park at Carinthia for the finals, but the reality is that even if they did plow down a park, that being able to get all that freshly moved snow to set up and then be something that you could run hundreds of racers down and not end up with ruts that were FEET deep was quite slim :(

askstowell

Same thing about the bummed kids and the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge finals. Thy won their qualifiers at Killington 2 weeks ago, and I will admit to trying to lobby various Mount Snow admins this past weekend to plow down a park at Carinthia for the finals, but the reality is that even if they did plow down a park, that being able to get all that freshly moved snow to set up and then be something that you could run hundreds of racers down and not end up with ruts that were FEET deep was quite slim :(

Thanks for the lobbying effort! Loved the Mt. Snow venue last year as we'd been to Loon for it in the past and just felt too jammed there. She was looking forward to the tubing Friday night, race/score free stuff/ride the new bubble lift for the first time/fireworks, etc. on Saturday, and the cardboard box race on Sunday morning which was a blast last year. Hope they keep Mt. Snow for finals next year. Going to miss Frank and the gang and bringing Dewey Bear to finals for the ninth year.

jaywbigred

Agree. I will admit that i'm pleasantly surprised to hear that Ripcord is even possibly in play after making a couple of runs down it yesterday and seeing the changes to it from Sunday :eek:

Gotta get people out this weekend. If the business is there, then as long as NEXT week isn't 70+ degrees all week long, then spinning the lifts at Carinthia will be in play the following weekend for sure!

Well I haven't been there the last few weeks thanks to my honeymoon, so I don't have the benefit of that perspective. All I know is that I had in my head that after I got home, I would spend late March and early April trying to throw my first successful three, and now that plan has gone to crap thanks to Mother Nature. Note that I in no way blame the mountain. Given the hand they were dealt, I thought it was an excellent year.

I am going to miss the winter brew fest as well though. Labor day seems a LONG way off.

Newpylong

If they make to the weekend on the main face it will be a miracle.

BASE: 71˚F | SUMMIT: 62˚F
ACRES: 180 (39%)
TRAILS: 29/80 (36%)

My guess is Carinthia only for the weekend.