• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

favorite liftlines to ski?

snowmonster

Meh, gondi line is only really fun in the spring when it bumps up. Just a steep cruiser the rest of the time.

Should Gondi even be considered? It was a liftline. If we include former liftlines in the criteria, my vote at the Loaf goes to Misery Whip. (Of course, I'm now stretching the criteria to include former t-bar lines but that's basically all the Loaf had for a while.)

Zand

Outer Limits and Ripcord aren't liftlines. My favorite so far is probably Redline, but there's a lot of fun ones. After woods, liftlines are my favorite things to ski. Liftline at Berkshire East is even pretty good, hell I enjoy the Vickery liftline at Wachusett if there's snow on it.

legalskier

Gore has a couple of liftlines under the Straight Brook chair & Topridge chair that are good.

How about past liftlines?.

Belleayre has an old t-bar run that people would poach despite the concrete tower footings sticking up through the snow on it. Last year they took out the footings and added it to the map. Not steep but very narrow and fun.

MadMadWorld

Not much liftline skiing for me this season.

I'd put Liftline at Smuggs up there as one of my favorites. Tramline at Cannon and Chute/Liftline at Mad River are up there as well. Red Line at Magic is quite nice.

No liftline is more intimidating than Madonna at Smuggs. It's long, technical, and the chairs are so low that it's quite intimidating to be so close to an audience (they will let you know if your ripping it). I also love the other ones listed above as well as Castlerock Liftline

For old liftlines, the old Poma Line at Pico is a blast to ski. I know it wasn't originally cut to be a lift line but I still consider it one.

Watatic Skier

My favorite is probably Ruby Palace at SR. Really want to ski tramline at sometime though.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Don't have that much experience, but liftlines in general I think are awesome. Fall line and natural. Dark Side, High Pines and Double Barrel are three of the best runs at Gore.

Greg

Staff member
Mall and Castlerock at Sugarbush are my favs. Chute/Liftline at MRG. Dark Side at Gore I only got a small piece of, and under crappy conditions, but Gore has a few cool lift line trails. B-East Liftline is great. There's a cool, but short trail under the triple that Jiminy I only got on once, I think. Claire's at Hunter is not a classic liftline, but sometimes good...sometimes horrifying. In general I love Liftlines too. Potential heckling pressure to perform is a great motivator.

SkiingInABlueDream

River Quai before CanAm was cut.
Tramline at Cannon when coverage is thick enough you can worry just slightly less for your bases.
Oz, Jordan, & Aurora liftlines. (Jordan's line before Wizard's gulch existed.)
Top part of Forerunner at Stowe when coverage is thick enough that chairs on the downside can hit your head. More Stowe - a narrow, not super steep shot that I think is not on the map, near the triple, that used to be a T-bar line? I always enjoy that. Top part of Lookout too when it's covered well enough.
Top of Little Pico liftline.
Magic - Red & Black lines, especially Blackline when it's really filled in.
Castlerock liftline for sure! I skied The Mall once when it was groomed which was cool.
At Stowe, Willoughby line now that the lift usually doesn't turn.
I'll stop there...
[edit: have to echo the mentions of Smuggler's Madonna liftline too!]

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Oh yeah....Redline, duh. Blackline is okay and steeper up top. Redline has more character. Never skied the tippy top of Blackline, black Magic or whatever it is.

snoseek

I'm a big fan of ruby palace at sr during the midweek only because they don't run the oz chair. I don't like the audience but love the direct steep shot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Outer Limits and Ripcord aren't liftlines. My favorite so far is probably Redline, but there's a lot of fun ones. After woods, liftlines are my favorite things to ski. Liftline at Berkshire East is even pretty good, hell I enjoy the Vickery liftline at Wachusett if there's snow on it.

I guess I could buy the argument that Outer Limits isn't a "Liftline" trail as you don't ski right under the lift. You do ski right next to it and on a good day, the show is as good as any trail next to a lift in the East.

Ripcord not a liftline though?

Um.........

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I've only skied Black at Magic once, but I recall enjoying Red a lot more. Black has some nice cliffs but double fall lines are lame and Red spins when Black usually doesn't so there is no audience on Black usually. I recall the steepest part of Red being longer and steeper than the steepest part of Black but someone correct me if I am wrong on that one. Black is still pretty good but it opens up a lot sooner than Red dumps you out. Then again, you can ski it from the top. They both have their merits but I think Red is the better quality line overall.

Zand

I guess I could buy the argument that Outer Limits isn't a "Liftline" trail as you don't ski right under the lift. You do ski right next to it and on a good day, the show is as good as any trail next to a lift in the East.

Ripcord not a liftline though?

Um.........

I've always defined liftlines as a trail under the lift that is just wide enough to fit the lift, usually with only natural snow to really keep it fun. In the case of OL and Ripcord, both are about 100 feet wide and always have a ginormous base. I suppose everyone can have different definitions though lol.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You don't like double fall lines? That surprises me. I love double fall lines
I used to like them a like because they are challenging. And then one day I woke up and realized they are just a symptom of bad trail design. Just because they are challenging doesn't mean they are good. Double falls essentially make half the trail suck.