• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB - very easy DIY Fox RP-23 shock modification

MR. evil

The only thing that I have not been impressed with on my new 5spot is the Fox RP-23 rear shock that came on the frame. If I set the air pressure around the specified range, sag was nowhere close to correct and the shock would blow through its travel and bottom out on very small hits. If I set the air pressure high enough to get proper sag, small bump compliance would suffer. And no matter what the shock had a weak mid stroke and I was just about ready to chuck the thing. Before getting a new shock I did a quick search on the Turner forum over on MTBR and came across the thread linked below, which describes a very easy DYI shim modification to the RP-23 air can. I did this Saturday night using plastic from a CD spindle case as described later in the MTBR thread. The whole process took about 15 to 20 minutes and made a very noticeable improvement in the shocks performance.

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/dw-5-spot-rp23-mod-503070.html

I would also imagine that this would work on most other air shocks that have removable air cans oe sleeves