• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington=AMAZING! The POSITIVE Killington thread!!!

gregnye

For the past few weeks, when I have opened up the Alpinezone forum, I always see at least 2-3 threads about the negative's aspects of Killington.

So, here it is. A golden opportunity for you to show the guests that visit the forums (I was a guest myself for at least 2 years on this forum) what you love about Killington! :smile:

No Sarcasm allowed!! :)

No Complaining allowed! :)

I think this will be a good way to reflect on the reasons we choose Killington--as there are many positive aspects to skiing there versus choosing other resorts.

Have Fun!

Highway Star

Ok, I'll play, really.

- $729 pass, ski more than 50 days = less than $15 per day
- Ample parking, no need to waste $299 on a parking pass
- Lots of people tailgating, no need to spend money on overpriced food and bev in the lodges
- Understaffed ski patrol means no one enforcing trail closures
- They will open virtually anything even if barely skiable or dangerous, which boosts the trail counts
- It's really not crowded since they drove off half their customers (you know, the ones who are serious enough to be potential real estate buyers)
- It's not ski sundown.

Need I go on?

Highway Star

I'm a better skier than 99%+ of the people there on any given day, which is a huge boost for my ego.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a better skier than 99%+ of the people there on any given day, which is a huge boost for my ego.

your ego is important to us Highway Star

With that, be careful what you wish for. If Killington returns to a 1M skier visit mountain, you may only be a 97%er

:lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lots of steep runs, and 250 inches of snow in average year.

I agree with the terrain statement with one caveat: you need to know the mountain and how to ski it. I really like the steeps in the main part of the mountain off of K-1, Superstar, and Canyon.

snoseek

If you like to explore the place is huge! It also has a good variety of terrain for everyone.

Also a question-does anyone know what the actual footprint of the resorts acerage is, not skiable acerage but acerage from boundry to boundry?

Highway Star

I agree with the terrain statement with one caveat: you need to know the mountain and how to ski it. I really like the steeps in the main part of the mountain off of K-1, Superstar, and Canyon.

Me too! Especially Downdraft, Double Dipper, and Ovation.

skiersleft

1. Skis bigger than any other mountain in the east.
2. Good tree skiing on and off the map.
3. If you know the place it's easy to find an uncrowded area even during peak days and holidays.
4. Longest season in the East. May not always be the first to open or last to close, but it's almost always open more days than any other mountain in the East.
5. Solid nightlife.
6. Cheap lodging options within an easy drive to resort.
7. Pico
8. More snow and better terrain than southern Vermont resorts and closer to NYC metro than northern resorts (a plus if you live in NYC metro area like me).
9. Unbrella Bars

gregnye

- Ample parking, no need to waste $299 on a parking pass
- Lots of people tailgating, no need to spend money on overpriced food and bev in the lodges

Yes free parking! you don't realize how awesome that is until you go to Colorado and have to pay at Vail, Breckenridge and other "Beastly" Places! :cool:

Wavewheeler

I actually like Killington. I've gone there quite a bit over the years with my daughter. We were there in February midweek and considering the lack of natural snow, the conditions were pretty good.

I like Killington because of the variety. There's a lot of options for terrain and conditions there. I never get bored skiing there.

They have sugar/caramel waffles and delicious empanadas right at the bottom of the slopes! Very tasty and convenient!

Free parking and lots of it.

Midweek the crowds are nonexistent.

Lots of options for lodging and great restaurants/nightlife.