• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington=AMAZING! The POSITIVE Killington thread!!!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Skiing on June 11, 1992 was amazing.

I've never had such great time skiing in the East than at Killington in the 1990s.

Racing June 1 slalom 1993: Lift ticket was free, if you competed you got a free voucher with non-blackout days for the following season and they gave you a June Slalom T-shirt...all this for free. A couple of June later, there wasn't any free t-shirts, it wasn't specific to the June event, lift ticket wasn't free, vouchers had blackout period (like After mid-December or after mid-April)...it was the start of the end and then they removed the Peak Double. :spin:

drjeff

Love the various climates you get to experience at K as one usually heads from the Bear side back over to the Killington Basin side. Too cold off of K1 - head to Bear. Too mushy at Bear, head over to Skye/Killington/Snowdon

Love the vast assortment of expert falline skiing, and that on any given day you'll have your choice of steep bumps and steep groomers.

Love how Powdr has reworked the trail network a bit to get rid of some of the long, traversing connector trails that had the unfortunate habit of interupting falline skiing, even if it means that getting back from Bear to the Killington Basin side isn't quite as easy as it used to be before the nets went up on Snowshed Crossover.

Love riding the Bear Mountain Quad when OL is bumped up and getting to watch what is usually a decent sized assortment of GOOD bump skiers right there next to you!

2knees

did you guys know that Killington is home to Outer Limits, the steepest longest bump run in the east.

WWF-VT

did you guys know that Killington is home to Outer Limits, the steepest longest bump run in the east.

I think you are confused with your superlatives - Sunday River is home to White Heat - the “longest steepest widest lift-serviced trail in the east"

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think you are confused with your superlatives - Sunday River is home to White Heat - the “longest steepest widest lift-serviced trail in the east"

:lol:

If I recall correctly, one of them punctuated the statement differently so that it was true.

I think it was:

Killington: the widest, steepest, longest bump run in the east.

Sunday River: the widest steepest lift serviced trail in the east.

Sunday River also used to measure their pitch in degrees or percentage....whichever one gave the higher number and looked better.

Gilligan

Love riding the Bear Mountain Quad when OL is bumped up and getting to watch what is usually a decent sized assortment of GOOD bump skiers right there next to you!
I agree. But it was even more fun in the old days before they added the groomed center to Outer Limits and you could watch the BAD bump skiers! Now they can cheat and just skid down the middle.

Highway Star

I thought the middle of white heat was pretty flat, like superstar?

Wavewheeler

Love the various climates you get to experience at K as one usually heads from the Bear side back over to the Killington Basin side. Too cold off of K1 - head to Bear. Too mushy at Bear, head over to Skye/Killington/Snowdon

Another reason I like Killington. More than once we were freezing our arses off at Snowdon (especially after riding the slow-mo quad chair a bunch of times) or on K1 we would be socked in by fog and blowing snow so we'd head over to Bear and it would be a totally different mountain! :)

zinger3000

I've only been to Killington twice, but I'll chime in.

- Parking lot at each of the base lifts.
- A green trail at the top of each lift. Everybody gets to play.