• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How old is too old....

jaywbigred

to continue to try to land my first 3?

Here was the result on Saturday, complete with my edge catching and a hard, hard fall.

I'll let everyone comment and take criticism and then give some back story if necessary:

mriceyman

I was gonna laugh at you until i remembered thats how i looked last time i tried one myself lol. Were in the samr boat

legalskier

Smart to wait til the end of the season to try it- that way you have the entire off season to heal.
:razz:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Woah bro, looks like you were going for the inverted 3. :lol:

Kudos to your for giving it a go though. I'm 36 and no longer have the ballz to even attempt a 3

jaywbigred

Smart to wait til the end of the season to try it- that way you have the entire off season to heal.
:razz:

Yup, exactly. Waited til after the honeymoon trip to Zermatt, but thought I'd have a few more weeks to give it a few more tries.

Woah bro, looks like you were going for the inverted 3. :lol:

Kudos to your for giving it a go though. I'm 36 and no longer have the ballz to even attempt a 3

I'm 32 and still intend to keep trying. I learned a lesson here with how I caught that edge though.

powbmps

Kickers in the moguls tend to be rutted, so it helps to pop and then rotate so your tails don't get hung up. Contrary to what you see in the park, where kids are winding up and starting to rotate before leaving the (smooth/manicured) jump.

SkiDork

it actually looked good, catching the edges is what screwed it up. If you hadn';t done that you might have landed it. I'll show it to Iceman tonight and see if he has an idea why you caught the edge (besides just unlucky)

RENO

to continue to try to land my first 3?

Here was the result on Saturday, complete with my edge catching and a hard, hard fall.

I'll let everyone comment and take criticism and then give some back story if necessary:

OUCH! No spinning for me. I just jump straight and not very far. :lol:
You say "continue"? How many times have you tried it and crashed?

powhunter

I think my record is something like 8 for 20 trying a heli...With some pretty good crashes too! Looks like you started to spin before the pop which caused to to catch an edge

Steveo

SIKSKIER

Were you trying just a 360?It looks like your looking to invert.First,you don't need to use such a big kicker for a 360.Something 1/2 that size is plenty and will save ou many hard lumps.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think my record is something like 8 for 20 trying a heli...With some pretty good crashes too! Looks like you started to spin before the pop which caused to to catch an edge

Steveo

That was about my landing percentage...........

.......in my late teens, early 20s. Cracked a rib bad on one failed attempt and missed a few weeks on the slopes. Haven't tried but a handful of times since. total pussy these days when it comes to catching air.

jaytrem

Nice!!! Never to old to learn new tricks. Once you get it you'll be amazed at how little energy it takes. It really is more technique and timing than oomph.

Another way to get the feel for the spin in to use a small jump that is more perpendicular to a groomed run. Say you only make it about 300 degrees, you could be facing down hill and sorta slide the rest. And you kinda fake it you make it.

my poor knees

I started trying some jumps at 40, mostly small and medium sized ones at Mt. Snow and K. I never tried any tricks, just straight up and an attempted landing ( key word there being attempted ). One big problem was I couldn't seem to have the balls to go fast enough, I always had a knack for landing on the tip top of the landing ramp and literally being launched out of my skis and being catapulted through the air till I slid down the ramp in total humiliation. The few times I could muster enough courage to get enough speed, I overshot the landing ramp and paid dearly.

One thing that helped was adjusting the bindings so they didn't release so easy, they were way to easy to come off. I also quickly realized that when kids fall, they bounce, and they get right up. When I fell, it was like the commercial, help I've fallen and I can't get up. Eventually I got better and enjoyed the exileration of being airborn, but when I got closer to 50 I decided I tempted fate long enough, never broke a bone and didn't want to start now. Now I occasionally go over a small one here and there and it's still fun. I'll stick to the moguls now............