• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NYC Shows..Broadway? Other family attractions?

SkiFanE

Delayed TR...sorry!

Lodging, to whovever was asking above - found a great place - Best Western Hospitality House on 49th. Small apts, we had a one bedroom with king bed, kitchen, LR/DR, pull out sofa and rolled in twin for kids. Very nice, not typical Best Western http://hospitalityhouseny.com/ 3 kids and us in a hotel room would have been brutal. Free breakfast sucked lol...but just stocked up on breakfast stuff at market nearby and had full fridge...good for leftovers too. It was around $400/night, not much more than a regular midtown hotel..highly recommend.

Ended up getting tickets to Wicked, which is all the kids wanted to see...took a chance and bought them off a school group that had some kids not show up...Sis in-law grewup near the NJ town they were from, they chit chatted and she felt they were legit. Phew...they got in, I didn't got to show, stayed behind with lil kid but they said it was incredible.

Highline park, made my family go haha...bitching the whole way, but I loved it...very very cool thing they did.

Tenement Museum, I went on the Irish family tour with my 12yo girl, bitching and moaning the whole time there, I sorta dragged her hehe. But she ended up being enthralled and it changed her outlook a bit. Kids (mostly 12yo) were bitching about staying in the hotel LR all together ("he snores, she farts, she takes up bed"...blah blah blah...I told them to "stifle, this is a mansion by NYC standards, I've had enough"), but after the museum...she realized it really was a mansion and the trip went smoother...kids nowadays...good to show them what they take for granted...safe milk to start

What else...Nat'l History Museum then a great sidewalk meal on a side street west of that. rest of family took cab back to hotel, I did a bunch of walking that afternoon. Of course Times Square, Nintendo Store...12yo and I did the Today show thing, that was fun. Eating.

That's about all my brain retained lol. I had a new iPhone then that I used for all my pics. Somehow when I got home, I hooked my phone to PC to download pics, but iTunes took over and wiped them all out with an old backup...lost every freaking picture...so no visuals...sorry...and I had a few awesome ones.

hammer

Any TRs? Looking to go to NYC next summer for about 4-5 days (family of 4, kids 20 and 16) and any advice on hotels in Manhattan and things to do would be appreciated.
So we are planning our trip to NYC in a few weeks. We managed to exchange our timeshare into a week at The Manhattan Club (supposed to be good location and decent sized rooms although reviews are somewhat mixed). Any lists of "must sees" and "don't bothers" would be appreciated. As far as shows are concerned, my daughter wanted to see Newsies so we already have tickets for that...may try to get in another show if we can get decent tickets. Also, any personal safety tips would be appreciated...I went to school in Boston so I think I still have basic city street smarts, but I haven't been to NYC since I was a kid and it would help to know areas/times to avoid.

4aprice

Also, any personal safety tips would be appreciated...I went to school in Boston so I think I still have basic city street smarts, but I haven't been to NYC since I was a kid and it would help to know areas/times to avoid.

You should have no problems in NYC. Midtown and Downtown are generally safe. Maybe stay away from the subways late at night but even there I doubt you would run into any problems. Just bring your bank account as NYC is generally not the cheapest of places.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

So we are planning our trip to NYC in a few weeks. We managed to exchange our timeshare into a week at The Manhattan Club (supposed to be good location and decent sized rooms although reviews are somewhat mixed). Any lists of "must sees" and "don't bothers" would be appreciated. As far as shows are concerned, my daughter wanted to see Newsies so we already have tickets for that...may try to get in another show if we can get decent tickets. Also, any personal safety tips would be appreciated...I went to school in Boston so I think I still have basic city street smarts, but I haven't been to NYC since I was a kid and it would help to know areas/times to avoid.
Ok, to start off with if you a bunch of money on you seriously put some in your sock under your toes, not that crime is crazy but their are always criminals around especially by Port Authority and other Boroughs. City Island in the Bronx is nice and upper class with lots of fishing and boating and great seafood restaurants. Yankee Stadium you can take a metro North train from midtown to Yankee Stadium in 20 minutes, cheaper then normal tickets check craigslist.org. Bronx Zoo is huge and Botanical Gardens in next to it, I recommend both especially for family, again Metro North goes here from midtown, no real criminal element on metro North trains.
Midtown Manhattan shows food check out Nicks Pizza on Columbus Ave and 71 for the best burgers ever. Central park is awesome , bike riding , people watching, rollerblading, music free check out NYC park and Rec center.org. For music venues the West Village has a lot of great clubs so does Brooklyn. Lots of museum in NYc suggests a price for entrance but usually it is what you want to donate but they don't let you know that, it is at Natural Museum of History which is on the West side of the Central Park. John Lennon was shot at his house by 72 St and Central Park Ave, there awesome tribute to him in the park over their and always people paying respect and singing his music. If you want to check out couple beaches their in Queens is Rockways and Coney Island in Brooklyn but I believe there trying to clean up Coney Is. Image not sure if they have yet. Also Citi Files wear the Mets play is new and you can take LIRR there from Penn Station mid town . Great Bagels in Queens at Bagel Oasis off Utopia parkway. Little Italy in lower NYC has become really tourism but some good spots and China town has some great food especially. If I think if more their is a lot to do but I don't have the money to do it all, as I think of more I will add have fun, people asking for money a lot especially in Port A area just ignored them and try not to look at Subway map on the street.

dmc

New York is a walking town.. It's pretty safe.. As long as you don't get involved in some BS you'll be fine.. :)
Just keep your wallet safe around Times Square and Union Square..
Use subways if you can - really easy.. The 1,2 or 3 will get you north to south.. Buy one metro card use it for everyone.. Like the T I'd expect..
If your going to take a taxi - ALWAYS get on the side of the street in the direction your going.. ONLY take taxis with the medalions on the hood..

I really recommend the show Once.. And not just because my friend is in it.. :) For real a great musical with awesome music... It's set in a bar in Dublin - before the show the cast is on the stage jamming on Irish music and the bar is open for some (expensive) beer..

Ground Zero and lower Manhattan.. Lot's to do and see - 991 memorial, The old church, South Street Seaport,Brooklyn Bridge, Battery, Wallstreet statue of liberty.. All really close.. Take the 1,2 or 3 subway straight down... Staten Island Ferry is free and it's a cool way to see the city from the harbor...

Highline is great for walking... Definitely check it out... Chelsea is pretty cool place for shopping.. Chealsea Market is good for food and some shopping..

People watch in Washington Square Park in the Village.. Always crazy stuff going on... Grab a falafel at Mamoun's just to the south on Macdougal.. Some cool record stores there too.. You can keep walking south to Canal then head east a few blocks and your iin Little Italy/China town.. Just walk up Mulberry Street until you smell Italian food that fits your style and walk in or eat outside.. Or walk down Canal turn right down Mot and go to Wo Hop... We've talked about here.. Good greasy chinese food.. Great after drinking...

Walk across the Williamsburg bridge and eat at Pete Lugers Steak House - old school porter house - killer.... And you can walk back across the bridge after...
Central Park is nice... Strawberry Field is cool.. All kind of tourist stuff up there..
Guganhiem is awesome.. Museum of Natural History awesome..

For a quick bite before a show with good beer I hit the Heartland Brewery on 43 just east of Brdwy.. Buffalo Spring rolls and a Red ale.... mmmm.. A couple buildings down is a great Belgium bar...
For a quick cool meal go to Mooncake.. There's 4 in Manhattan.. It's really good Asian comfort food.. They deliver...
For really quick food the Halal Food carts are good.. It's like Kosher for Muslims..

hammer

Just got back on Friday after a week in NYC...had a great time. Place where we stayed was on 56th between 7th ave and Broadway, excellent location just a bit of a walk away from Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Central Park, etc...

Hit a lot of the usual tourist spots (paid the suggested price at the museums), did more shopping than I wanted, and tried to eat at some local places. Did a lot of walking (don't see too many overweight people on the streets) and otherwise took the subway which was perfectly safe during the day and evening, even going out on the #2 train to get to the Bronx Zoo. Also made it out to run around the Central Park loop one morning which at just over 6 miles was a bit long for me but fun. Only saw one Broadway show, Newsies, which was excellent.

As long as one has some situational awareness it's completely safe during the day and evening. Lots of tourists around. All good.

Want to get back at some point to get in more shows, see more stuff, get food from one of the Halal carts (passed by a ton of them) and not eat at Chipotle or TGI Fridays (not my choices).