planning now for trip out west for next season - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I put together some rough numbers last week to help choose my 2013 trip. I'm not sure how accurate the "Nearest Mountain" column is - I've never been to most of these - but it should give you a general idea. Hopefully it helps.

The prices were based on an April 15 flight from Newark, so obviously flight pricing will fluctuate.

(PS - I think Jackson Hole is my winner.)

458 is below average cost for a RT flight into Jackson. Ive gotten under 500 bucks twice in 5 years of living here and flying in and out 3-4 times a year. I have averaged more like 525-550.

Edit, just checked your dates. Jackson Hole is not open on April 15th. Will not be next year either. Also, its about 45 minutes from the Airport to the ski hill in the winter time when the Moose-Wilson Road is closed. 20 minutes will get you into town and Snow King, which is the closest ski area to the airport.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Thanks Adiron. I'll take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Berg View Post
    I put together some rough numbers last week to help choose my 2013 trip. I'm not sure how accurate the "Nearest Mountain" column is - I've never been to most of these - but it should give you a general idea. Hopefully it helps.

The prices were based on an April 15 flight from Newark, so obviously flight pricing will fluctuate.

(PS - I think Jackson Hole is my winner.)

What's the source of those flight prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post
    What's the source of those flight prices?
    Kayak.com

RT airfare to denver will be under $250. You can get liftopia tickets to a-basin or copper for $60, but will pay much more for the 4 vail resorts. Breck's town is awesome, but slightly pricey. Much cheaper lodging options exist elsewhere in Summit county.

guys
    thanks for all this info.
    utah, summit county and jackson were
    the one we are looking to do. all the information
    is exactly what we are looking for.
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou12572 View Post
    guys
    thanks for all this info.
    utah, summit county and jackson were
    the one we are looking to do. all the information
    is exactly what we are looking for.
    lou
    To lower the price a bit you might consider getting a credit card/checking/investment account, that gets you enough miles for a free flight. I almost never pay for a flight anymore, and usually fly 4-7 times a year. It's a tiny amount of work considering the money saved. The rule of thumb on credit cards is 1 every 6 months so that you don't lower your credit score too much. That's not such a factor with checking/investment accounts.

Also, for a rental car. Even if I think there's a slight chance I'll be going somewhere I'll book a car immediatly. Then check back every so often and see if the price has dropped, if so rebook. If I don't end up going, I just cancel.

As for location, most of the time the easier a place is to get to the more crowded it is. I also like the "mom rule", if my mom has heard of the place it will probably be more crowded than a place she hasn't heard of. Depending on your groups preferences you can adjust accordingly. Some people don't mind longer drives in the morning to avoid crowds, others prefer staying slopeside. Happy medium type places could be New Mexico and Spokane (northern Idaho).

Thread Information