• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seniors to pay more to ski

legalskier

Resort Boosts Prices As Shredding Seniors Ski More
Older Skiers Hitting Slopes More Than Younger Skiers, Industry Group Says

March 28, 2012
DURANGO, Colo. -- For seniors, there’s a downside to living longer and staying healthier: paying more to ski.
The growing number of people remaining healthy and active into their 60s and 70s prompted Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort to increase its season pass prices for that demographic ***Skiers ages 66 and older average between 10 and 11 days per year at ski resorts in Colorado, Michael Berry, president of the National Ski Areas Association, located in Lakewood, told the Herald. The 56-to-65 demographic averages between eight and nine times a year. That compares with only five to six times a year average for all skiers 46 and younger, he said. ***

Story: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30785076/detail.html

snowmonster

Well, the baby boomers fueled the expansion of the ski industry. With that generation still skiing in numbers, I expect ski areas to try and squeeze as much as they can from them (retirement income notwithstanding). The problem the ski areas will face down the road is whether succeeding generations (like my Gen X) will have the same numbers and disposable incomes that the boomers had to keep the industry going at present levels.

Warp Daddy

Most seniors ( ahem) are already paying , have paid for 40 yrs , have introduced multiple generations to the sport and remain strong ambassadorsfor the sport . While THIS policy when enacted may make some initial sense , it could backfire and the law of unintended consequences COULD come into play especially during economic downswings as other less costly alternatives are certainly avaible to fill the void .

that said : MOST serious senior skiers have no trouble paying BUT remember even if capable the costs NEED to reflect the reality that most are on fixed incomes and that both SS increases and investment ROI's have been increasingly meager during the past decade --\That said personally i'm skiing till i die :D:D:D

JPTracker

Seniors may ski more days because they have more free time but you have to look beyond that. I believe that most seniors would probably avoid the crowded days and ski less runs per day then the younger skier therefore have a lot less impact on the mountain.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
--\That said personally i'm skiing till i die :D:D:D

Gotta love The Warp Daddy!!!

I think its just a numbers game. There are more 65+ skiers out there skiing now than 30-40 years ago. Mountains see an untapped revenue stream. In addition, the 65+ crowd have more free time than other adults in the 30's-50's, more wealth and therefore the ability to handle the increase. And, as Warp so eloquently put it above, if they're still skiing at 65+ they are lifers and aren't going anywhere.

I know that Stratton sells a combo senior pass and parking pass, which for that mt. Is almost more important than the lift tix!