• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Next year's plan....comments please.

Paul_M

So we been mulling this around for a month or so now and here's what we've come up with. We'll be able to make (3) 4-6 day trips and are planning on Jay Peak. These will be Thanksgiving, President's week, and spring break(late in March 2013.) Yeah it's crowded, but hey it is what it is. We will make the effort in terms of travel time and we're there for the first chair to make our turns and get out.

I'm looking at the option of owner owned condos w discount ticket availability or season passes ($1500 for the 3 of us) vs resort owned lodging w passes included.

We could ski additional days in Dec/Jan at Hunter/Windham as conditions warrant by doing day trips taking advantage of liftopia and other discounts.

What are your thoughts?

WWF-VT

Thanksgiving is a total gamble on open terrain. I wouldn't want to be paying prime real estate rental rates for the likelihood of very limited terrain being open.

Paul_M

Thanksgiving is a total gamble on open terrain. I wouldn't want to be paying prime real estate rental rates for the likelihood of very limited terrain being open.

Not much choice about when to go. Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming there would be sufficient man made to at least be skiable. It's not that expensive.

jaytrem

A freind of mine went on a group trip there early season, it wasn't too expensive and included a season pass, not sure if it had blackouts. I'll try to get more info for you when I see him at work on Wednesday.

Geoff

Not much choice about when to go. Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming there would be sufficient man made to at least be skiable. It's not that expensive.

Jay Peak doesn't have much of a snowmaking system and they don't crank it up particularly early. Many years, Jay will have little open at Thanksgiving.

Jay Peak is a place you want to cherry pick. The reason you hear all the raves about the place is that it does get a lot of snow and it's one of the best options in the east when it's good. Most internet reports are from people who only go there after a recent snowfall. If you're locked into specific dates, you might have a totally different impression of the place.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks Geoff......looks like it's back to the drawing board.
Don't let Geoff's comments deter you. There are very few areas that have much terrain open by Thanksgiving and even the best snow making systems in New England have trouble when it isn't cold. It is a pretty rare year that Jay isn't open by Thanksgiving.

Though making plans based around a weekend of Thanksgiving weekend skiing is not a good idea in general. But if you must do it, Jay is as good of an option as most and you certainly increase your good snow and glade chances during December and February. The price for three for up to 18 days worth of skiing is decent (though I don't know how it compared to bundling tickets with lodging) and there is always the waterpark during Thanksgiving if the skiing is truly awful.

Paul_M

In my inquiries I've found condo owners have access to multiday lift tickets at 20% off and of course the resorts all bundle lift tickets and lodging so the necessity of buying passes is not so critical. I like buying the pass and getting it over with though.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Jay Peak doesn't have much of a snowmaking system and they don't crank it up particularly early.
Oh really? How about November 7th?
http://www.thesnowway.com/2009/11/07/survival-skiing-on-man-made-at-jay

Many years, Jay will have little open at Thanksgiving.
Or... Jay gets a lot of natural you are skiing a huge amount of the mountain including glades...

http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/11/18/244

http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/11/17/amazing-powder-day-on-jays-opening-day-of-the-season

Jay's snow making system is indeed less powerful than most of the resorts it directly competes against. But Jay cranks it up in early November when possible just like most areas. Aside from Sunday River and Killington, pretty much all the big resorts make snow during good windows with an eye towards Thanksgiving. Anything before that is just extra. I get the spirit of your response, but the same spirit could be applied to almost any other area. The very nature of November turns is so dependent on highly variable weather it is a crap shot anywhere.

The more important point here is simply pointing out that building in a season plan that relies on good Thanksgiving conditions at ANY mountain is extremely suspect.

Paul_M

Well it's not like we'll be giving up much in terms of alternate activities. The places to stay are nice enough and not outrageously expensive. It will be good just to "get away" for a few days and any skiing will be a bonus.