• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Denial Cup @ Killington

frankm938

Gotta be one of the coolest things ever done in terms of proving a point/making a statement in a civil and constructive manner. the pics on facebook are awesome.

Maybe frank will come out of his alpinezone retirement to comment.

hey 2knees, ya its been a while since ive been on AZ. the idea for the denial cup was mine and "bobsled" rich snedakers after the mountain decided to cancel the bmmc. it went much smoother than either of us imagined. i reached out to some of the local businesses and they stepped up right away. sushi yoshi sponsored the selection party the night before and provided free food for everyone in attendance. they also gave gift certs to the top 4 men and top women. the pickle barrel made denial cup t shirts for all the competitors, gave all competitors snoop dog tix and gave the pickle barrel season passes. the basin gave dynastar twisters, the lookout gave gift certs, effy duddley clothing and shoes, new balance gave sneakers and zeolas gave skis and helmets.
saturday at 11:00 we went out to find some bumps and the place was flat. so as group we made push piles, skied in lines and built jumps. the comp stared around 1:45 and finished just before 4:00. the judges (JT, greg the leg and stofer) did an amazing job. there were a lot of close duels but nobody questioned there calls. the starter rachel did the job of 3 people and kept all the competitors going during the entire comp. it wouldnt have gone as smoothly without her
the duels were fun and competitive as some of killingtons best skiers went at it until one man and one woman were left standing. the top 4 men and women get there names engraved on the denial cup trophy.
we were worried the entire time that the mountain would shut us down but as it turns out the chris nyberg liked the comp, thought it was run incredibly well, was highly entertaining and thinks we should do it again next year. he just asked that i fill out a waiver form next time so the mountain isnt liable and i can hold a contest on there property without worrying about being shut down.
so next year the denial cup is gonna be even bigger!!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
hey 2knees, ya its been a while since ive been on AZ. the idea for the denial cup was mine and "bobsled" rich snedakers after the mountain decided to cancel the bmmc. it went much smoother than either of us imagined. i reached out to some of the local businesses and they stepped up right away. sushi yoshi sponsored the selection party the night before and provided free food for everyone in attendance. they also gave gift certs to the top 4 men and top women. the pickle barrel made denial cup t shirts for all the competitors, gave all competitors snoop dog tix and gave the pickle barrel season passes. the basin gave dynastar twisters, the lookout gave gift certs, effy duddley clothing and shoes, new balance gave sneakers and zeolas gave skis and helmets.
saturday at 11:00 we went out to find some bumps and the place was flat. so as group we made push piles, skied in lines and built jumps. the comp stared around 1:45 and finished just before 4:00. the judges (JT, greg the leg and stofer) did an amazing job. there were a lot of close duels but nobody questioned there calls. the starter rachel did the job of 3 people and kept all the competitors going during the entire comp. it wouldnt have gone as smoothly without her
the duels were fun and competitive as some of killingtons best skiers went at it until one man and one woman were left standing. the top 4 men and women get there names engraved on the denial cup trophy.
we were worried the entire time that the mountain would shut us down but as it turns out the chris nyberg liked the comp, thought it was run incredibly well, was highly entertaining and thinks we should do it again next year. he just asked that i fill out a waiver form next time so the mountain isnt liable and i can hold a contest on there property without worrying about being shut down.

Awesome job!

RENO

Great job Frank! :beer:
Of course, now that we officially hear that Nyberg likes it, the bashing on KZone about why the BMMC was cancelled will be even worse! :lol:

Can't wait Frank.

2knees

That's awesome. Prizes are incredible. you guys really hooked everyone up. Won't miss it next year.

mondeo

Would those competing rather keep the Denial Cup or have Killington re-instate the BMMC?
I would rather have BMMC reinstated as a KMS event. Get the hack job Killington event planners out of the picture, use the old trophy, return it to the two day format.

Last year's BMMC, as a format, was awesome with the three different competition levels. The A meet the day before was a bit much as it killed any chance of practice that a lot of us take a vacation day for, but other than that it was great.

What I don't think the Killington people understand is that a dry BMMC like they did in 2008 would be better than the joke of a Freestyle Frenzy they tried to do this year. I wonder how many people had signed up for the Frenzy before they cancelled it.

2knees

I wonder how many people had signed up for the Frenzy before they cancelled it.

Did it even get that far? I checked k's website a few times and could barely find any information about the mogul comp at all.

btw, how was the volleyball tourney?

I registered for the Frenzy with about 10 others from Hunter. I have yet to see my refund yet however. I loved the denial cup. I would take it any day over the BMMC because it brought everyone together for fun. It was low key fun and I met a lot people who I normally would only ski against in competition.

I do miss the party and nothing beat skiing down OL to Godzilla played live a few years back, but that ain't happening.

steamboat1

Thanks for making those lines on lower Supe. Yesterday they softened up & skied very well. Lower Skyelark on the other hand remained hard as a rock.

Took a ride over to Bear Tues. just to check it out. There was one brown band near the top stretching across the trail but besides that OL still looked to have good coverage. I don't know how much longer upper Skyelark into lower Bitter is going to last. Still plenty of snow on most of the trail but the traverse from where the skyeship gondola unloads over to the top of Skyelark is getting washed out. The section at the top of lower Bitter was even worse. They had to do some serious snow farming Tues. night because the snow was just about gone from there Tues. afternoon & by yesterday afternoon it was about the same again. Superstar was still excellent especially in the morning. It was wall to wall courduroy in the morning. Small patches of ice started showing by afternoon but for the most part the trail skied excellent all day both days I skied it. When I got there Tues. morning I was wondering what everyone was talking about with the Superstar headwall being a death slide. They had groomed it & it skied very well in the morning. By the afternoon I found out what everyone was talking about because it got scraped down to ice. They never groomed the headwall Wed & it was a death slide all day. The rest of the trail was groomed though. I don't think there were 100 people at the mountain either Tues. or Wed.