• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

ScottySkis

http://www.hightimes.com/read/us-gov-knows-marijuana-most-medicinal-plant-world

he United States government would like to scam the average citizen into believing that marijuana was sent here by the devil himself in a brash attempt to destroy the lives of all that dare to breathe its seductive smoke. However, the reality is, old Uncle Sam has owned the patent on cannabinoids since 2003, ever since federal research concluded that the wonder weed was the most powerful medicinal plant in the world. U.S. Patent 6630507 was awarded to the US government after researchers found that cannabinoids have a wide range of antioxidant properties that could be used to treat a number of ailments, like inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, commonly associated with oxidation.
Oxidative associated diseases “refers to pathological conditions that result at least in part from the production of or exposure to free radicals, particularly oxyradicals, or reactive oxygen species,” as defined in the patent.
In addition, cannabinoids have proven to be extremely useful neuroprotectants, which could successfully control the level of neurological damage following stroke or trauma and could be beneficial as a treatment in neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia.
Years of research has determined that the following are the top 10 health benefits of marijuana:
Cancer: In laboratory animals, cannabis has proven to hinder the growth of, and even kill tumor cells.
Tourette’s Syndrome: Researchers found that cannabinol helps to control symptoms of this neurological condition, which can cause facial contortions and involuntary shouting. Seizures: The antispasmodic, or muscle relaxant, qualities of marijuana have proven to be an effective treatment for those suffering from seizures.
Migraines: Doctors in California have reportedly treated over 300,000 cases of migraines with medicinal cannabis.
Glaucoma: Perhaps the best documented research - not a single study exists that discounts the advantages of using marijuana to treat glaucoma patients.
Multiple Sclerosis: Marijuana has proven to control the muscle spasms associated with this deadly disease.
ADD and ADHD: A recent USC study showed that marijuana is an excellent alternative to Ritalin, and has the ability to treat patients with this disorder without the negative side effects of the popular prescription medication.
IBS and Crohn’s: Marijuana has proven to help patients suffering from these diseases because it helps stop nausea, stomach pain, and diarrhea.
Alzheimer’s: Research from the Scripps Institute found that marijuana can be used to treat Alzheimer’s patients because THC blocks certain elements in the brain that cause the disease.
Premenstrual Syndrome: History shows that marijuana has been used in the treatment of PMS symptoms since the days of Queen Victoria. Interestingly, even though the US government seems to be privy to the medicinal value of marijuana, the drug has been classified as a Schedule I dangerous substance, in the same unflattering light as heroin, since 2011.

MadMadWorld

http://www.hightimes.com/read/us-gov-knows-marijuana-most-medicinal-plant-world

he United States government would like to scam the average citizen into believing that marijuana was sent here by the devil himself in a brash attempt to destroy the lives of all that dare to breathe its seductive smoke. However, the reality is, old Uncle Sam has owned the patent on cannabinoids since 2003, ever since federal research concluded that the wonder weed was the most powerful medicinal plant in the world. U.S. Patent 6630507 was awarded to the US government after researchers found that cannabinoids have a wide range of antioxidant properties that could be used to treat a number of ailments, like inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, commonly associated with oxidation.
Oxidative associated diseases “refers to pathological conditions that result at least in part from the production of or exposure to free radicals, particularly oxyradicals, or reactive oxygen species,” as defined in the patent.
In addition, cannabinoids have proven to be extremely useful neuroprotectants, which could successfully control the level of neurological damage following stroke or trauma and could be beneficial as a treatment in neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia.
Years of research has determined that the following are the top 10 health benefits of marijuana:
Cancer: In laboratory animals, cannabis has proven to hinder the growth of, and even kill tumor cells.
Tourette’s Syndrome: Researchers found that cannabinol helps to control symptoms of this neurological condition, which can cause facial contortions and involuntary shouting. Seizures: The antispasmodic, or muscle relaxant, qualities of marijuana have proven to be an effective treatment for those suffering from seizures.
Migraines: Doctors in California have reportedly treated over 300,000 cases of migraines with medicinal cannabis.
Glaucoma: Perhaps the best documented research - not a single study exists that discounts the advantages of using marijuana to treat glaucoma patients.
Multiple Sclerosis: Marijuana has proven to control the muscle spasms associated with this deadly disease.
ADD and ADHD: A recent USC study showed that marijuana is an excellent alternative to Ritalin, and has the ability to treat patients with this disorder without the negative side effects of the popular prescription medication.
IBS and Crohn’s: Marijuana has proven to help patients suffering from these diseases because it helps stop nausea, stomach pain, and diarrhea.
Alzheimer’s: Research from the Scripps Institute found that marijuana can be used to treat Alzheimer’s patients because THC blocks certain elements in the brain that cause the disease.
Premenstrual Syndrome: History shows that marijuana has been used in the treatment of PMS symptoms since the days of Queen Victoria. Interestingly, even though the US government seems to be privy to the medicinal value of marijuana, the drug has been classified as a Schedule I dangerous substance, in the same unflattering light as heroin, since 2011.

While I agree with legalizing, how do they figure it helps with ADD? Maybe the hyperactivity part but I have never felt focused enough to reorganize my closet like I have on Dexedrine. But they are right....anything is better than Ritalin. Awful drug

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

http://rt.com/usa/first-marijuana-store-opens-us-122/

[h=1]Colorado store makes history as first to offer recreational marijuana in the US[/h]
A small store in Central City, Colorado has made history by becoming the first establishment in the US to be granted a license to sell recreational marijuana.
Annie’s Central City Dispensary, located in a city founded during the Pike’s Peak Gold Rush, posted on social media earlier this week that its license application had been approved. It will be among the first shops in Colorado to begin selling marijuana on January 1, 2014, more than a year after Colorado residents voted to legalize use of the drug for persons 21 and over.
The state’s Marijuana Enforcement Division has accepted 136 applications from recreational marijuana stores so far. Another 400 are eligible to apply, though the state has said only establishments in “good standing” will be accepted.
Cannabis is one of the fastest-growing industries,” Steve Berg, former managing director of Wells Fargo Bank and editor of a report titled the state of Legal Marijuana Markets, told the Huffington Post. “Domestically, we weren’t able to find any market that is growing as quickly.”
All of which makes it difficult for many people to understand why the Drug Enforcement Agency continues to launch raids on businesses that have been accepted by the community. Like Colorado, voters in Washington State have also voted to legalize recreational marijuana.
Yet the drug remains illegal on the national level and, because federal law trumps state law, federal police agencies like the DEA are technically permitted to harass and intimidate retail and medical pot dispensaries. US President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder have both said repeatedly that federal police agencies would respect state law, a promise that has been continuously broken since 2009.
At the same time, authorities in Colorado have conducted the largest raid on dispensaries since medical marijuana became legal Thursday, with officers executing search and seizure warrants at more than 12 stores in the Denver area alone. Masked agents broke windows and confiscated products from medical marijuana dispensaries that customers rely on to cope with cancer and other serious ailments.
Although we cannot at this time discuss the substance of this pending investigation, the operation under way today comports with the Department’s recent guidance regarding marijuana enforcement matters,” Jeff Dorschner, spokesman for the US Department of Justice, told the Denver Post.
He added that the DEA, Internal Revenue Service criminal investigations unit, Denver Police Department, and local law enforcement agencies were involved in the operation. Dorshner said that while investigators could not comment on the matter, there were indications the targeted dispensaries violated an August Justice Department memo outlining the activities would work to prevent. Those conditions include:
• the distribution of marijuana to minors;
• revenue from the sale of marijuana from going to criminal enterprises, gangs and cartels;
• the diversion of marijuana from states where it is legal under state law in some form to other states;
• state-authorized marijuana activity from being used as a cover or pretext for the trafficking of other illegal drugs or other illegal activity;
• violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana
• drugged driving and the exacerbation of other adverse public health consequences associated with marijuana use;
• growing of marijuana on public lands and the attendant public safety and environmental dangers posed by marijuana production on public lands;
• preventing marijuana possession or use on federal property.
Washington is scheduled to begin selling recreational marijuana by mid-2014. Until then, with a number of states considering similar legislation, all eyes will remain on what has become the Colorado experiment.
Entrepreneurs and private investors are flocking to cannabis markets,” Berg, the former Wells Fargo director, said. “Those who really understand market dynamics will reap large rewards.”

Share on tumblr

[h=3]Comments (22)[/h]
picture

[h=4]Joshua Martin 22.11.2013 17:25[/h] [h=4]Capucine Altier 22.11.2013 15:01[/h] Cannabis is the worst thing of all.

Actually, alcohol and heroin are the worst of all (as far as I know). Did you know that marijuana is so non-toxic that it's impossible to overdose? Nobody in the history of mankind has died from use of marijuana.

39fd60853f778d615fa3f26066a141b8_normal.jpeg

[h=4]geraldinejjohnson 22.11.2013 16:26[/h] ▲▬▆ ▆▬▆■▉▬� �▉▉ I just got paid $858o working off my computer this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do,

►●►●► ●►▶ goo.gl/iITlPP

google.png

[h=4]James Clark 22.11.2013 15:46[/h] How do I invest and share in the profits? jamesvclark3@verizon .net

More comments
[h=5]Add comment[/h] Authorization required for adding comments

Where to watch Schedule
Follow us

[h=1]Recommended[/h] Weeks-old traces of marijuana can land you a DUI in Arizona 5

Colorado votes for super-tax on marijuana 16

California moves to legalize marijuana in 2016 20

TSA might allow passengers to board planes with marijuana 20

ScottySkis

NY state legislation was put up yesterday to fully legalized and sell for recreational use. They were talking about it on conservative am radio station and about 40% of the callers were for it. Finally I see a light. I put up details when I get to work.:):):):):beer::thumbup:;););):cool::):):)

ScottySkis

NY state legislation was put up yesterday to fully legalized and sell for recreational use. They were talking about it on conservative am radio station and about 40% of the callers were for it. Finally I see a light. I put up details when I get to work.:):):):):beer::thumbup:;););):cool::):):)

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12...galizing-marijuana-making-it-into-a-cash-cow/
We really need to move beyond our totally broken prohibition model to a sensible tax and regulate model,” Gottfried said. “I think it’s widely recognized that marijuana is at most nowhere near as potentially harmful as alcohol and our law is dishonest.”

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12...galizing-marijuana-making-it-into-a-cash-cow/
We really need to move beyond our totally broken prohibition model to a sensible tax and regulate model,” Gottfried said. “I think it’s widely recognized that marijuana is at most nowhere near as potentially harmful as alcohol and our law is dishonest.”
I'd be real interested to see what the "grow your own" restrictions are.

NYS will tax it so much, that the black market will still thrive. NYC will tax it 25% more...

ScottySkis

NYS will tax it so much, that the black market will still thrive. NYC will tax it 25% more...

Yes it will but at least legalized talk has started. We have to pay taxes on any thing bought in a retail store. But who can tax me if I grow when it is legal to have and not a taboo with family and friends like it is now.

jlboyell

I always counter this argument with cigarettes. They are taxed extremely heavily, especially in NYC, but while there is a small black market for it, people pay for the convenience of being able to go to the store and buy them whenever they want. Especially if you got a guy who's always late, fluctuating quality, etc.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I always counter this argument with cigarettes. They are taxed extremely heavily, especially in NYC, but while there is a small black market for it, people pay for the convenience of being able to go to the store and buy them whenever they want. Especially if you got a guy who's always late, fluctuating quality, etc.
Cannabis has a very established black market production, distribution and point of sale already. Cigarettes production and distribution happens in the "free market". Excessive taxation forces some of the point of sale to the black market.

How much do you think illicit "shipping and handling" for cannabis "taxes" the final sale price?

the 'risk premium' associated with cannabis is thought to be generally in the 500-1000% range...in other words if it costs $50 to produce an ounce, it will sell on the black market for $250-500

i doubt any gov't entity will come nearly that close to taxing it that much...when you factor in profit margin for the growers and sellers i think it will be somewhat, but not significantly cheaper than on the black market...and it will be a hassle free transaction...in NYC top of the line can go for upwards of $500 an ounce, which i would imagine would drop significantly if legalized, say to something closer like $300-400

snoseek

the 'risk premium' associated with cannabis is thought to be generally in the 500-1000% range...in other words if it costs $50 to produce an ounce, it will sell on the black market for $250-500

i doubt any gov't entity will come nearly that close to taxing it that much...when you factor in profit margin for the growers and sellers i think it will be somewhat, but not significantly cheaper than on the black market...and it will be a hassle free transaction...in NYC top of the line can go for upwards of $500 an ounce, which i would imagine would drop significantly if legalized, say to something closer like $300-400

Jesus, 500 per oz!!!!

mriceyman

Jesus, 500 per oz!!!!
Thats top of the line stuff in nyc.. In the suburbs great quality stuff is around 300 now.. Still if allowed to be grown legally they could produce it for almost nothing.

Sent from my iPhone

snoseek

Thats top of the line stuff in nyc.. In the suburbs great quality stuff is around 300 now.. Still if allowed to be grown legally they could produce it for almost nothing.

Sent from my iPhone
Heard. The growers I know out here are thrilled to get 2k a pound for good kush, 1500 is the norm. Then again the market is always flooded from fall trimmers. The black market will always prevail IMO

ScottySkis

Heard. The growers I know out here are thrilled to get 2k a pound for good kush, 1500 is the norm. Then again the market is always flooded from fall trimmers. The black market will always prevail IMO

I need to live out West .NY state prices even where I live for the quality is at least 125 for quarter OZ. From what I been told.

totally skewed market...the stuff practically falls from the sky out there!

seriously though, having some experience in the matter, the cost to produce is pretty low once you get past the initial capital investment, so even that $1500 is almost pure profit...if you are indoors the biggest expense will be electricity...depending on rates, a 1000w sodium vapor light, which can produce up to 3 lbs if you know what you're doing, will cost a couple hundred bucks a month to run...typical cycle is 3 months so $500-600 for that...then the next biggest expense is labor, followed by nutrients...so, notwithstanding the considerable amount of capital it takes to set up a grow, the cost of each pound is likely around $300, and they sell it for $1500...not too bad...and that's in a flooded market!