• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

4aprice

Funny they call it the Live Free or Die state - but that is furthest from the truth IMO.

It used to be

Utter hilarity.

Something about invaders from the south lol.

BTW when is Mass going to open up the first dispenserires? I kind of had to laugh when the news came over that the state had to "study" how best they do it for an entire year after the vote. The model is already laid out and works quite well in Colorado. You Mass people must have caught your "lawmakers:" off guard. Jersey will never get it as long as Christie is around.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

Nevada really screwed this up IMO....

My buddy stopped into Reno last week just for the novelty, waited in a super long line and paid 60 dollars for an eighth. He and most everyone I know will continue to buy off the black market as its 1/6th of the price and less hassle. Here's to Hoping California ends up with a more sensible approach.

JimG.

Staff member
We already know big tobacco and alcohol want to dominate the MJ market; it's the main reason MJ is still illegal.

I will always buy black market. I won't support poison peddlers who now want to control pot sales. All they will do is add their poisonous processing to the equation. After they are done pot will kill as many people as tobacco and alcohol do.

I suspect that tobacco is harmless and that cancer is caused by all the poison these criminals add to cigarettes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a bit of insight into the commercial aspect of medicinal and recreational marijuana manufacturing. An old co-worker of mine from the restaurant industry has moved on to be an assistant to a licensed caregiver for medicinal MJ in Maine. His boss obviously has a pulse on things and the future threat he sees to his business since Maine voted to legalize recreational really centers on volume and quality.

Basically, there are several large commercial MJ companies from CA and CO waiting to pounce on the Maine market once they get the distribution framework and retail sales regulations in place. This medicinal provider is not going to expand to retail because he won't be able to compete. He sells cannabis in the range of $300-$350 an ounce to patients and makes a fair living doing it due to low overhead. The big guys who will move in will produce a lesser quality product at higher volumes and sell in the neighborhood of $200-250 an ounce.

The apt comparison really is mass produced beer vs craft.

It's certainly possible that a company like Marlboro could get in on the game, but I don't see such corporations having the ability to introduce physically addictive chemicals into MJ and being successful at it. There is no such thing as clean cigarettes. Nicotine levels can be manipulated, but it's a naturally occurring compound in tobacco. THC doesn't have the physically addictive properties of nicotine.

The ability for smaller producers to educate the general product on safer alternatives will prevent recreational MJ from turning into the tobacco industry.

I think the ultimate goal should be legalization of home growing. Let those who want to grow MJ just like they can tomato plants. When it gets to that point nationally, the "pot head" stigma goes away for the most part and the commercial industry will crash outside of things like edible production that the home MJ "cook" doesn't want to deal with.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

I have a bit of insight into the commercial aspect of medicinal and recreational marijuana manufacturing. An old co-worker of mine from the restaurant industry has moved on to be an assistant to a licensed caregiver for medicinal MJ in Maine. His boss obviously has a pulse on things and the future threat he sees to his business since Maine voted to legalize recreational really centers on volume and quality.

Basically, there are several large commercial MJ companies from CA and CO waiting to pounce on the Maine market once they get the distribution framework and retail sales regulations in place. This medicinal provider is not going to expand to retail because he won't be able to compete. He sells cannabis in the range of $300-$350 an ounce to patients and makes a fair living doing it due to low overhead. The big guys who will move in will produce a lesser quality product at higher volumes and sell in the neighborhood of $200-250 an ounce.

It's certainly possible that a company like Marlboro could get in on the game, but I don't see such corporations having the ability to introduce physically addictive chemicals into MJ and being successful at it. There is no such thing as clean cigarettes. Nicotine levels can be manipulated, but it's a naturally occurring compound in tobacco. THC doesn't have the physically addictive properties of nicotine.

The ability for smaller producers to educate the general product on safer alternatives will prevent recreational MJ from turning into the tobacco industry.

I think the ultimate goal should be legalization of home growing. Let those who want to grow MJ just like they can tomato plants. When it gets to that point nationally, the "pot head" stigma goes away for the most part and the commercial industry will crash outside of things like edible production that the home MJ "cook" doesn't want to deal with.

In Colorado it is legal to home grow. There is a limitation on number of plants though. However, this has allowed for many many illegal grow operations by the cartel in all of the legalized states. The utility I work for gets subpoenas from the DEA to turn over electrical consumption records.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting. When I was a student at UVM in the 90s there were court cases that prevented the DEA from obtaining search warrants on the basis of electrical consumption. It was viewed as a violation of privacy. Pot was being grown in probably 50% of off campus student housing. I went to many many parties and there would be a closet covered by nothing more than a tapestry with the grow lights leaking through and the apartments wreaking of herb. I actually knew a kid who got raided and the case got thrown out because the search warrant was based upon electrical records and the judge said that wasn't cause for search.

chuckstah

I have a friend who grows in Maine. Legal for medicinal now, but not always the case. Back a few years ago he had to balance his electric use. When lighting needs went from 24 hrs to 12 per day he had to double the amount of lights to keep the flow even. Could of been due to an abundance of caution, dont really know, but authorities will generally use what they can. When he almost burned down the barn with a faulty fan, different issue lol!

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

I really don't see how 350 an ounce will hold once things are setup. Dispensaries will likely sell good quality stuff with a sizeable variety for 100 less. The black market will also pick up as the consequences go down....lots of people will grow as well. Big prices at first then I bet it slacks. That seems to be the trend.

Hell even a pound of beautifully trimmed pot is selling for 1200-1800 locally here. Same with Colorado if you get with a grower..which isn't hard at all. Lets face it its just a plant and armed with a little knowledge and some trial and error anybody can grow quality stuff.

States need to allow people to supply their own within reason.

I'm surprised the fed is still hands off and hope that remains. Rescheduling needs to happen but at this point no news is good news I guess.

And yeah....I don't see Big tobacco or even big pharma be relevant at all. Their strategy all along (don't forget police unions, alcohol, private prisons ect) has been to prevent this from happening. Big tobacco really screwed the pooch on this. Good, most people aren't stupid. These big farms....They would have to offer a really compelling price to attract the masses IMO

Last edited:

Edd

As far as the states in which recreational is legal, I think a max of 6 plants for home use is typical. Seems reasonable to me.

dlague

Jully

I suspect that tobacco is harmless and that cancer is caused by all the poison these criminals add to cigarettes.

Tobacco is not harmless, relatively easy to prove, but you're right that the additives are what makes it especially dangerous nowadays.

JimG.

Staff member
Tobacco is not harmless, relatively easy to prove, but you're right that the additives are what makes it especially dangerous nowadays.

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist; not my normal style. Tobacco is not harmless as you and others point out. Nicotine is addictive which in and of itself is very unhealthy.

Our government seems to support products that are addictive. Opioids, alcohol, tobacco etc. All OK by the government but these 3 products alone have lead to a health crisis in this country. Can you imagine how much healthier we would be as a country if these 3 products were illegal? Yet MJ is classified along with heroin as the most dangerous substances with no positive applications. Simply false regarding MJ.

I'm sick of the demonization. Our AG Jeff Sessions says that MJ has lead to the opioid crisis; one has nothing to do with the other. In fact, MJ could be a strong solution to that crisis. It makes me realize that government cares more for profit/tax revenue than the health of our citizens.