• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

Edd

And the states slogan is Live Free or Die - that is a joke. They are practically a policed state.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

That's a dramatic statement to make. NH is at least partially dysfunctional, I'd agree but the truth may lie in this paragraph from a 6 year old article from Fosters.

"New Hampshire has the distinction of not only having one of the largest legislatures in the English-speaking world, but also a constitutional mandate that they be paid only $100 a year plus mileage for what can be long hours of service."

Who the hell wants to be a part of this organization? There's no way that it's representative of the populace, IMO.

Edd

But....... that keeps the career politicians out of office, who are in it for a paycheck.

Did you not just read that we live in a "policed state"?

But seriously, this can have the effect of attracting wackos. That NH lawmakers are remotely resistant to legalizing weed makes no sense. In my bones I feel that most NH residents could care less.

snoseek

My exact fear; in fact, I think this guy was nominated because of his views so that big tobacco and pharma companies can control the market. Tobacco is already lobbying for the FDA to approve any MJ related products. That would in itself remove any small growers and producers of MJ products from the marketing equation because FDA approval requires millions in investment before any profit is realized.

The reason this guy was nominated was to use the Fed as a reason to push out anyone but big corporations from the MJ windfall. Don't let his obvious racism color your perception. He was not nominated to undo civil rights. Civil rights will be the carrot dangled to the masses so that they accept big business' MJ grab.

I know this sounds like a big conspiracy theory. Just watch what happens.

States may allow growing for personal use but the Fed NEVER will. Instead of big Tobacco we will have big MJ.

God I hope your theory is wrong. In that case I would rather it stay illegal.

dlague

Yeah, I lived in NH for 9 years, active on a local level. What I saw was some dedicated people in office, some just doing their civic duty for a term, and some who went there with an agenda. They'd introduce bills during the budget session, get them quickly (over) looked at and voted in. Then they'd never go to Concord again.

Truth be told, I don't see a lot different about the Policed state of New Hampshire and Maine. The only real differences I see are the way taxes are collected. No sales or income tax, but they have property tax. And something called a view tax, applicable even if you didn't have view, if you could cut down some trees and gain that view.

I built the same house on a pond in NH that I currently live in now (Not waterfront). My property taxes in Maine are less than a third of what I paid in NH. If it were waterfront, it'd be a little more than half of what I paid in NH.

How would you define "Policed state"?
I say policed state due to the amount of law enforcement. State police and even city and town police are abundant. I used to drive 49 miles every day on the highway and saw state police everyday in multiple spots. Concord was also loaded with law enforcement. When I moved to Colorado, I noticed hardly any on the highways and in Colorado Springs. NH is pretty up tight IMO. I have lived there for 23 years and I disliked how much they busted out of states for speeding. I got my share as well and I was a local. They also monitor highways video aircraft a lot. Colorado does not do vehicle inspections, speed limits are higher, you can camp any where in the Rocky Mountain National Park, law enforcement is very lenient, MJ is legal, lots of conceal and carry. So coming from NH, CO is much much freer!

JimG.

Staff member
God I hope your theory is wrong. In that case I would rather it stay illegal.

I hope I'm wrong too.

But there are billions of $ at stake and you already know how people behave, especially those with lots of money to invest in infrastructure. There is NO WAY that either side of the current political drama is ignoring or seriously demonizing the potential windfall. So why hasn't legalization already occurred? Nobody wants the money? Or a new industry that will produce jobs and tax revenue?

Hell no! It's because big business is still figuring out how to corner the market.

ScottySkis

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...rijuana’/ar-AAktrCb?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp

This guy reminds me of Alexander Haig. I'll never forget Haig standing in front of the press saying he was in charge after Reagan got shot.

Since I'm skeptical of what happens after legalization I am in no rush to see it happen. The thought of buying MJ from big tobacco companies who will "process" my weed before selling it to me at who knows what prices makes me puke.

So I don't care about what Mr. Reefer Madness here has to say about MJ users.
Pure bull.
Gary Johnson's governor and ran for president. One of millions people who are successful and enjoy Cannibus. People need to watch Viceland channel.
Yes it can be abused like anything.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

I see and hear about the pros and cons everyday. Seems to be in the news a lot.

All news care about is ratings and who is paying them to due bad stories on it. Hint alcohol industry for one police and jail industry is another.
And this coming from someone who s close family members working in corrections and police career s.

dlague

All news care about is ratings and who is paying them to due bad stories on it. Hint alcohol industry for one police and jail industry is another.
And this coming from someone who s close family members working in corrections and police career s.

There are lots of good stories, not all bad.

witch hobble

NH is not progressive. For a lot of people, Live Free or Die means "Oh....Massachusetts is doing it? Then we definitely don't want it'"

SkiFanE

So I think I may become a farmer. Is it difficult? Seems like a no brainier - our current supply is awesome and from a local basement lol. I've got a basement too.

chuckstah

It's official in MA as of today. While I no longer indulge, I never thought I'd see the day in my lifetime. Wish it happened about 40 years ago!

Last edited:

SkiFanE

It's official in MA as of today. While I no longer indulge, I never thought I'd see the day in my lifetime. Wish it happened about 40 years ago!
It's about time there was some good news in politics lmao. I bet the aging population that thought it was evil is dying off and youngstahs are taking their place in voting booths. Thank goodness.

yeggous

Congratulations to the great state of Maine. I really think this will help SR and SL.

How so? It's already legal in Massachusetts. It seems unlikely people will be skiing Maine for the novelty alone. The New Hampshire legislature so far has resisted even decriminalization. However, that tide seems to have turned. With recreational retails sales imminent within an hour drive of just about the entire state, the legislature seems to finally realize the battle is lost.